Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2017, 21:50   #1

Opinions on a Roughwter 33 please

Anyone have any experience with a Rough Water 33, what might be their pros and cons?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa...280347329.html
dofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 00:53   #2

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI
Re: Opinions on a Roughwter 33 please

From Sailboatdata, I can point out that it is a heavy, narrow, tender ?, full keel, double ender ( more square stern gives you more space unless you use pointy boat shoes, think about it... ) with a large rudder made in Taiwan with Chinese hardware, lots of teak and thick FG layup.
Compare these dimensions with other boats and will give you an idea of this one. Reads that is similar to a Weatherly 32, maybe also to a Westsail?
Make comparisons of some of these and you can get a good feel for, and your own opinion of what you are looking at.
Lots of boats out there, some with very good prices and with lots of upgrades.
Look around carefully, compare the boats themselves, not just the price for one you see.
Wish you Good and Careful hunting.... once you buy one, it is hard to get rid of for reasons like.... you get attached, you put in some love and sweat and parts, (get one of those from someone else that has done that already) and hard to sell because of so many other in competition to sell also!. Condition is very important; deck, leaks, electrical, etc. Electronics get outdated too soon. Other useable equipment counts for much. Spare parts. Tools, manuals, extras, etc. Enjoy.
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:56   #3

Ive always liked the look of a double ender. Even though I would prefer something more along the lines of a Cape Dory. Doesn't seem to be a lot of info on these out there.
Old 02-09-2017, 08:27   #4

I remember looking at them at the boat show when they were new. Nice looking boat. Likely heavily layed up, but not sure. I think they were made as another name also. IIRC, the ballast in set in concrete, but I could be confusing boats. Sounds like a pretty good deal on a traditional boat. What matters is that particular boat. As with all old boats, watch for tanks under floors, how replaceable they are etc. Chainplates. No teak decks on that one? Deck core issues. No worries about bolt on keels on that one anyway.
Beam not too narrow for that time period. The other sistership was a Weatherly 32 I think. Same mold IIRC.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:49   #5
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

NOTE: The boat you linked says it needs a mainsail.
______

You might not find much on the Rough Water 33, but it is very similar to other Thomas Gilmer designs. So, you could search the net for comments from owners of the Aries 32 and others that are similar, if you are interested in the sailing characteristics, etc.

I first came across the Rough Water 33 when doing some research on the Southern Cross 31 (I believe more of those were made).

Here are some of the other Gilmer designs you can compare or research.
DESIGN/ LOA/ METERS/ FIRST BUILT

ARIES 32 32.00' / 9.75m 1972
SEAWIND MK II CUTTER (ALLIED) 31.58' / 9.63m 1975
SOUTHERN CROSS 31 31.00' / 9.45m 1975
SEAWIND MK II KETCH (ALLIED) 31.58' / 9.63m 1975
ROUGHWATER 33 33.08' / 10.08m 1975
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:20   #6

Steady hand thanks for the info

Tags