Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2010, 14:34   #1

Boat: Endeavour 33
Opinions / Info on 33' Endeavour

My husband and I have decided to buy a 1983 Endeavour 33 to sail around the Great Lakes. Our previous boat was a 1978 S2 6.8M, so this is a big step up in size for us. I'd be really interested in hearing from anyone who has owned or sailed the Endeavour 33. The boat we're buying is in immaculate condition inside and out - it surveyed better yesterday than it did 14 years ago. Too many extras to list, and it's beautiful just to look at. We fell in lust with this boat on the hard while we were looking at an S2 9.2A that turned out to have a lot of problems. The Endeavour is bigger and a lot more expensive than we thought we were looking for, but since this will be our retirement boat in a couple of years, we decided it was right for us. Please tell me the good (and the bad). Thanks!

Wendy A.
Cubkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 15:10   #2

Boat: Tayana 37'
Hi Wendy,

We have owned and liveaboard a 1985 33' Endeavour for the past 6 years. As a liveaboard, the boat has been comfortable both in warm and cold weather.

We have made major improvements and ours is not like the average Endeavour in that we have added much custom cabinetry, heat and air, and lots of little touches that have made it more comfortable. We felt the boat was short on storage space and the cabinetry added the storage we need as liveaboards.

As far as sailing ability, the boat is fast and responsive. In the right conditions it is a lot of fun to sail. We are on the Chesapeake and it can kick up quickly; we have found the boat to get uncomfortable when the weather conditions deteriorate. We were out recently in 35 knot winds with 5 foot seas and we were grateful to get to our anchorage. Its motion comfort leaves something to be desired, especially if the seas are confused, as is often the case when the Chesapeake gets angry.

It has a tendency to wander, most likely a function of its short, fin keel. Also, because of its flat entry, it can slam as it falls off heavy seas. While unnerving, the boats are well built and it seems to take everything we put it through.

On the positive, it is very easy to move around on deck, has a comfortable cockpit for entertaining and you can't beat its size below. When she is in conditions favorable to her hull design, she will hit 7.2 knots with ease and you will have a heck of a great sail. Overall, we have greatly enjoyed the boat but are now looking for a full keel boat to take offshore.

If you would like to see what we have done below, the boat is listed on Yachtworld in Galesville, MD. Might give you some ideas as you head into your retirement and spend more time aboard.

We hope you enjoy your boat. I have loved our boat since day one and it is with some regret that I have agreed to sell her. I know my husband is right about needing a full keel for the type of cruising we want to do, but I will miss the Endeavour.
josie30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 20:37   #3

Boat: Endeavour 33
Josie,

Thanks so much for the info. We made the deal today to buy the Endeavour, and will now have all winter to dream about putting it in the water. The previous owners have sailed the boat on the Great Lakes for 14 years, including trips like last summer's 7-week tour of the North Channel of Lake Huron. They found the boat to be great in rough Lake Michigan weather, and never felt the boat wouldn't handle what was thrown at it. We look forward to being able to do the same kind of sailing next summer, since our previous boat, an S2 6.8M, was far too small to stay aboard comfortably.

Wendy
Cubkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:04   #4

Boat: Tayana 37'
Congratulations. I think you will not be sorry.

Just as a point of interest, we have replaced all the thru-hulls on the boat and added one or two. We were very surprised at the thickness of the hull - when we drilled for the new thru-hulls we kept the plugs just to show people who asked about the construction of the boat. Strongly built.

I agree that the boat will take whatever the weather can throw at it. We have been in some rough weather here on the Chesapeake and we have not had a failure of any kind. We read of one young man who bought a 33 and sailed it to Israel. We read another account where a whale breached over the stern of a 33, rolled off and kept going. The boat apparently suffered some damage to the stern pulpit and then also kept going. Another 33 owner sailed his to the Azores in 19 days from the East Coast. Nice to hear stuff like that.

We hope you enjoy many years of sailing pleasure!
josie30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:06   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Nice boat I was on mine when you bought her. Her po is doing a canvas job next to me. Are you staying in the area next spring?
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
endeavour