Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-05-2007, 21:01   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Just shootin off at the mouth here, but if there are only going to be the two of you, I would lean towards a boat that is closer to 40' than 50'. Bringing a boat into (or out of) a tight pen in an unfamiliar marina in a cross wind is a handful, and becomes progressively (if not exponentially) more of a handful the bigger the boat becomes. I believe that 40' is big enough to live aboard comfortably for 2 people and anything above that is just extra luxury. Also, bear in mind, consumables become more expensive the bigger the boat - A new mainsail for a 50' boat is probably nearly twice the cost of that for a 40'. Just because you can afford a bigger boat doesn't mean you should... (as you have already found out). You will probably get a smaller boat in better condition / better fitted out for the same price that you would have paid for a not so good bigger boat. Just my opinion....

Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 21:13   #17

I'd suggest you buy something smaller. If you have 200K - you'll have enough to buy a 40 to 44 footer in decent shape (check out Whitby 42's), and have the money necessary to refit her to your taste. You'll spend far less operating and maintaining a smaller boat.

Whatever boats you are considering, do a global internet search to determine an average market price. Don't buy the cheapest ones, there is a reason that they are priced that way and it will cost you far more than the price differential to bring her up to the condition of more expensive boats.

Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2007, 23:01   #18

Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova
Originally Posted by Rangiroo
..I'm planning on jumping shore this November or so...
So....I have narrowed a choice of a new boat down to several that are available on Yachtworld and I'd like some advice and opinions on the specific models that I list below...pros and cons for each model before I spend money traipsing all over the country looking at these boats....I've been looking in the 42-48ft range, prefer a slower safer boat over a rocket,
and my budget tops out for purchase at around $200k....I'm not averse to spend LESS than that of course but if it's an older boat I'd like it to be already refitted....
I have listed these in no particular order.....

Amel 46
Stevens 47
Celestial 48
Norseman 44
Hylas 44, 47
Bowman 49

you are looking at a very nice class of boat, but these all look like they'd take most of a $200,000 budget just to cover the initial purchase and related expenses, with little left over for the major refit which any of these is likely to require. If you can find that one special boat which has just undergone a FULL professional refit, buy it.

It would be very wise to limit your purchase price to around $100,000 IF you expect to be ready-for-sea with anything left over at under $200,000. Easier if you keep it closer to 42'.

best, andy
1st rule of yachting: When a collision is unavoidable, aim for something cheap.
"whatever spare parts you bring, you'll never need"--goboatingnow
"Id rather drown than have computers take over my life."--d design
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 11:07   #19

You cannot do better than a Stevens 47. Mine has been around the world once and is ready to go again. They sail and track well, are built like a tank and we usually average 7+k for all around cruising.
The Hylas 47's are built from the same molds but some say they are not finished as well as the originals. You can pick up a good one for around $200k and a fixer upper for less.
stevens47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 11:28   #20

The Stevens were the metamorphis of the boat before becoming the Hylas (largely a name change)- both boats are grand
I like the Hylas alot but the 46? usually is two cabins with a raised salon. I would really like this boat more if it had just a little more headroom ( I am 6'5"). But it is solid
Have you looked at the Out Bound- I do not know what their used market looks like but it is a very well conceived no-nonsense performance cruiser
libellula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 12:32   #21

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
ave a look at Nauticat 43's
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 13:28   #22

Boat: Stevens 47
We bought the Stevens 47 in July...almost finiished refitting/upgrading....still sailing off into the Big Blue sometime dec/early Jan....thanks for everyone's input....we LOVE the boat we has everything in design and strength I would have looked for.....
To incident I am prone...
Cast me out and watch me skip along.....
Rangiroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2007, 13:30   #23

you will never suffer because of the boat
good choice
have fun and update us

libellula is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: