Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2013, 10:18   #31
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Opinions about Cored Hulls ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
Here is an article on Cored Hulls that might help

Cored Hull Bottoms
Really sketch.

This guy is the king of fuzzy logic. He wants you to believe that all cored hulls will fail because he's had two Rolex Submariners fail on him.

Yes, there was a problem with the Sea Rays from a certain era. But applying that to all cored hulls is like claiming that every automobile with a gas tank will blow up because that's what happened to a few Ford Pintos.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:19   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

There are plenty of premium European yacht manufacturers producing non cored hulls ( above and below the waterline) in their cruising boats.
Oyster and Rustler just to name a couple
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:29   #33
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
My boat was built using the SCRIMP technique in 1993, launched in 1994. It is now 2013 so that is 19 years which isn't "lately" nor "the past 10 years".

When people drill holes into the core and it gets wet then they get what they deserve. There is no cure for stupidity. It also isn't that much more work to do it right when a fast curing filler, like the 3M vinylester, is used.

Much depends on the design too; the core should be tapered out to a solid laminate for areas where high loads occur (around keel, prop-strut, rudder etc.) or where many fasteners exist (deck-hull joint for example). I would not be charmed by a hand lay-up cored hull either.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:38   #34

Not only Sea Rays, Bayliners etc etc. They virtually all have cored sterns (except Tollycraft) and get saturated from the stern drive penetration. I Liked the article... especially the " want to work in the marine industry? No experience required!"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:40   #35

I figured this topic would get a little off course. the question was... Is balsa core above the waterline a bad thing? Im not talking about the decks im talking about the sides. and of course the awnser is is it depends.. of course wood coring below the waterline is a very bad thing. the boat i was looking at was a very thick heavily built boat. Lots of good information. Im assuming there are less solid glass 35-40 boats built than cored. Thanks for all the great info.
albergsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:49   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
There are plenty of premium European yacht manufacturers producing non cored hulls ( above and below the waterline) in their cruising boats.
Oyster and Rustler just to name a couple
Umm, besides Oyster, exactly who? Rustler make like 3 boats a year (extremely beautiful ones, admittedly). I think fully cored hulls are just about universal, among high end European yacht builders.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 10:58   #37

Boat: Tartan 4100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Really sketch.

Yes, there was a problem with the Sea Rays from a certain era. But applying that to all cored hulls is like claiming that every automobile with a gas tank will blow up because that's what happened to a few Ford Pintos.
I guess I am really screwed!!! I have a cored boat and I used to have a Pinto back in the day.......
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:19   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Umm, besides Oyster, exactly who? Rustler make like 3 boats a year (extremely beautiful ones, admittedly). I think fully cored hulls are just about universal, among high end European yacht builders.
If you want number of hulls produced look at manufacturers like Beneteau.
If you want top quality, which only happens with smaller numbers look for manufacturers like Amel ( if you don't want an Oyster or a Rustler )
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:15   #39

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

All Cabo Rico's are cored all the way down to the turn of the keel. I have not heard of a single problem, and I looked / asked. I think how well it's built has a lot to do with it.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:35   #40

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Our 29-year old Contest is completely end-grain balsa cored, right down to where the keel bolts on. When I was adding a second depth transducer recently, we found the core (at least in that area) to be dry but I have no reason to suspect that there is water entering the core anywhere else. By the way, our boat received a Lloyd's certification when it was built.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:59   #41

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Well, my hull is solid fiberglass and I'll bet you a dollar there's no moisture inside. LOL I can tell even without a moisture meter.

IMHO cored is fine on a racing boat.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 14:15   #42

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Well, my hull is solid fiberglass and I'll bet you a dollar there's no moisture inside. LOL I can tell even without a moisture meter.

IMHO cored is fine on a racing boat.

Is that something like: And my daddy's better than your daddy? I seem to remember that line floating around the playground many, many, many years ago.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 14:20   #43
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhschneider View Post
Our 29-year old Contest is completely end-grain balsa cored, right down to where the keel bolts on. When I was adding a second depth transducer recently, we found the core (at least in that area) to be dry but I have no reason to suspect that there is water entering the core anywhere else. By the way, our boat received a Lloyd's certification when it was built.

Fair winds and calm seas.
Contest is a Dutch built boat, of-course it's good! Isn't it built with the SCRIMP method? I saw some pics and think it is, which means it is good and will outperform a solid glass hull on every front except price.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 14:29   #44
CLOD

Boat: none

I bet that most problems with cored hulls have NOTHING really to do with the hull construction at all. It has to do with 2 things: 1-quality of fittings installed on the hull (valves, ports etc), 2-owner maintenance of those fittings!
Old 11-02-2013, 14:46   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I'll take that bet. Polyester resin is hygroscopic with a saturation point somewhere between 2-3%. If your boat has been in the water for more than a few years you most certainly have water in the resin.