Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2008, 21:14   #1

Boat: none yet
Opinions about a 32' to 37' cruiser

Hello all. Jeff H I expect a response since I find your comments interesting and well...very matter of fact!

I am still searching for a boat that is 32' to 37' in the $40000 price range. Must be well maintained and up-graded. Must be easy to sail single handed. Something stable and stiff. I am not as concerned about speed or performance as Jeff H is..lol!
I plan on sailing mostly in the Great Lakes, Bahamas and Caribbean. I have sailed these waters in the past. So I am not a newbie!
However my needs have changed as I have aged ( gracefully I hope!) Therefore although most of my sailing has been geared towards performance racer/cruisers...(Jeff would like that) I am at the stage where I want some creature comforts and I find myself not in as much of a rush as when I was younger. Since I am retired we (my wife and I )plan on living aboard the boat during winters for 3 to 6 months.

I am getting lazy as well! Meaning as little teak top side as possible! So things like a windlass and ..gulp and electric winch (or is that wench?) is starting to look very attractive.
Anyway I would like some opinions on boats of this type, size and in my price range.
Here's some of the possibilities:

Jeanneau Espace 990- very rare in North America. I've found one mint condition but I have very limited info on this boat. looks promising...and no it's not a motor sailor!

Lots and lots of Hunters - 37,35.5, 35 ,34 , 33.5, 33 Most seem to have moisture problems and no my top pick. but nice pricing! Also the 32' Vision Of the lot I prefer the Cherubini models (37 & 34)

C&C 35 Landfall - I like em what can I say?

Watkins -33 She appears like a stiff boat but I think this Seawolf might just be a slug in wolve's clothing. Not sure about build quality...very little info about their boats on line...maybe someone can pipe in???

Endeavour 35 - This and the 33 model were designed and built different from the other Endeavours. Not sure if that means they are better or not. Would love to hear other opinions on these models.

Nonsuch 30 - I love this boat. now the problem is the only ones close to my price range are in ruff shape or have sail drive or both. I still think for my purpose they are the best fit. Really big down below. And surprise surprise they can scoot as well!

Freedom 32 - Hoyt model. There were 2 different F-32's built and they were built around the same time which makes things confusing to say the least. I know Jeff isn't a fan of free standing cat rigs but this boat is high my list also. Price point is an issue. Another is they have had a lot of moisture problems. Which surprise me since TPI was considered one of the top core hull/deck builders.

Others are tartan 34, Saber 34and I am sure I have left out a few.

Comments and opinions would be very appreciated. I value the views of the folks here. I don't always agree with them but....

Cheers and fair winds, Allan
allan C&C less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 13:58   #2

You neglected to mention the Westsail 32. It sounds about perfect IMHO, for the areas you hope to sail
Old 07-05-2008, 16:57   #3
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Try this

CSY 33. Try it, you may like it...
Old 07-05-2008, 17:28   #4

Don't mean to offend anyone here but CSY or Westsail don't attract me I. Besides I hate all the teak deck side. Not saying they aren't great boats but I want something that gets my motor runnin!
Cheers, Allan
Old 07-05-2008, 18:30   #5
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Not much teak deck on a CSY, nothing at all.
No offence as you said, but engage brain before ya turn down jewels especially after you just described a CSY 33:

Quote:
1) I am still searching for a boat that is 32' to 37' in the $40000 price range.

2) Must be easy to sail single handed. Something stable and stiff. I am not as concerned about speed or performance as Jeff H is..lol!

3) I plan on sailing mostly in the Great Lakes, Bahamas and Caribbean. I have sailed these waters in the past. So I am not a newbie!
However my needs have changed as I have aged ( gracefully I hope!) Therefore although most of my sailing has been geared towards performance racer/cruisers...(Jeff would like that)

4)I am at the stage where I want some creature comforts and I find myself not in as much of a rush as when I was younger. Since I am retired we (my wife and I )plan on living aboard the boat during winters for 3 to 6 months.
Old 07-05-2008, 18:45   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Pearson, Allied, Islander, Cal, Catalina?

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 18:46   #7

Catalina 34
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 18:54   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I am still searching for a boat that is 32' to 37' in the $40000 price range.
Price would be the key here as would condition. Condition in this price range favors the shorter end of the spectrum. having owned a CSY 33 I'll chime in with the CSYMan. Clearly a good choice. Condition at this price point would seem more important than most other qualities. Frankly, it's not an easy deal. You might require an additional $20K to make the deal workable after attending to necessary items.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 20:40   #9

i've sailed since a boy, on lots of boats, (owned a j-24). three years ago i purchased a nonsuch 30. i've always loved the traditional catboat design, and the nonsuch is just an improved version. i know this sounds biased, but it's probably the best boat i've ever been on. george hjinterhoeller knew how to build boats, and the nonsuch is no exception. built tougher than nails, sails like a dream, just ask any of the 900 or so people that own and love them. (check out nonsuch.org)
onanonsuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 21:49   #10

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
S&S 34' perhaps?
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 00:53   #11

Boat: seawind II Patience
32 to 37 boats

I live on & cruise on a gulfstar 37,Comfortable & some teak but not too much.Good luck deciding keep in mind theremis no perfect boat only comprimises & alternatives.
marc2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:15   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
There is a Westerly Falcon on yachtworld that looks interesting. It is in FL. Well build and good looking boat, IMHO.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 07:49   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 38 Gin Fizz- Rhosyn Mor
I might be a bit biased, but the Jenneau Gin Fizz is worth a look, may be a tad pricey considering your budget. It did get a very good review in
Sailing Magazine. list on them in the US ranges from 50 - 90k, you might just get one for 40 given the current state of the boat market
Sailing Magazine
I love mine, sails like a witch, built in the days before Beneteau took over the Jene. Lots of space below, very comfortable offshore cockpit etc etc
hope this helps
Rhosyn Mor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 13:13   #14

Boat: Endeavour 35 'Irise'
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan C&C less View Post
Hello all. Jeff H I expect a response since I find your comments interesting and well...very matter of fact!

I am still searching for a boat that is 32' to 37' in the $40000 price range. Must be well maintained and up-graded. Must be easy to sail single handed. Something stable and stiff. I am not as concerned about speed or performance as Jeff H is..lol!
I plan on sailing mostly in the Great Lakes, Bahamas and Caribbean. I have sailed these waters in the past. So I am not a newbie!
However my needs have changed as I have aged ( gracefully I hope!) Therefore although most of my sailing has been geared towards performance racer/cruisers...(Jeff would like that) I am at the stage where I want some creature comforts and I find myself not in as much of a rush as when I was younger. Since I am retired we (my wife and I )plan on living aboard the boat during winters for 3 to 6 months.

I am getting lazy as well! Meaning as little teak top side as possible! So things like a windlass and ..gulp and electric winch (or is that wench?) is starting to look very attractive.
Anyway I would like some opinions on boats of this type, size and in my price range.
Here's some of the possibilities:

Jeanneau Espace 990- very rare in North America. I've found one mint condition but I have very limited info on this boat. looks promising...and no it's not a motor sailor!

Lots and lots of Hunters - 37,35.5, 35 ,34 , 33.5, 33 Most seem to have moisture problems and no my top pick. but nice pricing! Also the 32' Vision Of the lot I prefer the Cherubini models (37 & 34)

C&C 35 Landfall - I like em what can I say?

Watkins -33 She appears like a stiff boat but I think this Seawolf might just be a slug in wolve's clothing. Not sure about build quality...very little info about their boats on line...maybe someone can pipe in???

Endeavour 35 - This and the 33 model were designed and built different from the other Endeavours. Not sure if that means they are better or not. Would love to hear other opinions on these models.

Nonsuch 30 - I love this boat. now the problem is the only ones close to my price range are in ruff shape or have sail drive or both. I still think for my purpose they are the best fit. Really big down below. And surprise surprise they can scoot as well!

Freedom 32 - Hoyt model. There were 2 different F-32's built and they were built around the same time which makes things confusing to say the least. I know Jeff isn't a fan of free standing cat rigs but this boat is high my list also. Price point is an issue. Another is they have had a lot of moisture problems. Which surprise me since TPI was considered one of the top core hull/deck builders.

Others are tartan 34, Saber 34and I am sure I have left out a few.

Comments and opinions would be very appreciated. I value the views of the folks here. I don't always agree with them but....

Cheers and fair winds, Allan
Hi Allen. We have been cruising and living aboard an Endeavour 35 for 18 months through the Bahamas and now the Caribbean, at Culebra right now. The boat has stood up well and has given us no problems. We've sailed in 35 knots and hid from Noel in Rum Cay at 60 knots. No issues other than a leaky port (now resealed ). We bought the boat because my girlfriend hadn't sailed before and wasn't sure about the lifestyle. We are now moving up to a larger boat. I guess she likes it. Mine will go on the market for $49000 if you are interested. Engine has 1400 hours, 3 headsails and an older main. She needs a cutlass bearing that Iwill replace at the next haulout. Other than that she's in good shape.

Paul

paul
Sailor525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 15:19   #15

I too love the Nonsuch 30. Living not far from where she was first built I know Hinterhoeller built solid boats. Now if i could find a Nonsuch 30 for under 40 k and in good shape I would buy her! Do you know of one in that price range?

Fair winds, Allan