Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 27-02-2009, 20:32   #31

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
Changing up it is a good time to buy as the relative difference is less. If things go further down , then later will be even better but you won't have had as much time on your boat. I'd keep an eye out for something at a very good price that appeals to you. You seem to have a fair idea as to what is seaworthy.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:45   #32

Boat: Tartan 30C, "SIMCHA"
Thegirlis: Hey Kid, fellow Erie sailor from Lorain here. Look around for a vintage Tartan, 27 or 30, they are built in Ohio and are Lake Erie tough. I have a 30C, average 1500 miles of racing & cruising per year for 19 years and would not be afraid to take it anywhere in the world single handing. Atomic4 powered, tiller, dry. The draft of the 30C makes it a little dicey around the Islands but it is a great classic. I don't normally do marinas and use the dink to comute.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:56   #33

Boat: Potter 19, Serenity
Thanks! It's always good to here from a fellow freshwater sailor
.~^~ ^~ /_|__\~^~ ~^~...Need a hand on your cruiser?
~^~^ ~ '======' ~^ ~^~
..take me with you! I'm
small
..~^~ ~^ ~^~ ~^~ ~^

Thegirlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:16   #34

Boat: Custom Finch 46 - Airielle
A bit of inspiration

Thegirlis,
Without boring you with my opinion, I thought youmight enjoy this story of a couple who sailed half way around the world in a 21 foot boat. The Potter is a tough little boat, and likely more comfortable than the boat in this web-site. Amazing story.

1-The Idea for the voyage of The Aegre
Old 08-03-2009, 09:34   #35

Boat: Cal 39, Karma
I would echo what Viking Sailor said. I think you will find that no matter what equipment the boat has, you are goning to want to modify/upgrade/delete/buy new etc. I just bought my boat about a year ago with the same intentions you described. I then made a list of what I wanted/needed etc. Then I started pricing everything...what a shock. After getting in the $30,000 dollar range, I have started crossing things off my list. It is a real struggle deciding what one needs to self-define as a prudent sailor. It sounds like you have a lot of experience but I would suggest an exercise in pricing before you decide on what to buy.
jim
Old 08-03-2009, 13:03   #36

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood
Have a lok at this sadler unsinkable double hulled warm in winter and cool in the summer capable of a circumnav and almost nothing to do except fit a neptune wind pilot
Old 11-03-2009, 14:22   #37

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by feelsgood View Post
Have a lok at this sadler unsinkable double hulled warm in winter and cool in the summer capable of a circumnav and almost nothing to do except fit a neptune wind pilot
HMMMMMMMMMMM!!!! It must've sunk.....All I see is a blank space...
Old 11-03-2009, 14:56   #38

sadler

Realy sorry but I am not much on the computer. Here is the site again with additional information:
For Sale Sadler 29 - Jezail
Tel:00441326379312
Mobile: 00447777671957
E-Mail: jezail@rockpool.net

The boat Location is : Mylor Harbour Falmouth Cornwal England
Old 11-03-2009, 14:58   #39

sadler

sorry I have udated all the info today for you
Regards Pete (Feels Good)
Old 03-07-2009, 10:29   #40

Boat: 1974 Cal 29
I would suggest looking in the 24-26' range. Something in that size can be found cheaply yet in usable condition. It will likely have standing headroom for you, and with a decent layout can be sensible for coastal cruising yet still take care of you in a blow. Everything on a smaller boat is cheaper. Sails, Rigging, anchors and chains, engines (on this size I like the Yamaha 9.9 4-stroke outboard), bottom paint, etc. I'd avoid electrical systems wherever a mechanical one could do. If you're plan is to sail in warm climates you won't need hot water (the surface temp of the water in the Keys regularly hits 90 degrees) or a heater as badly as you'll need a bimini (and a whole-boat awning, if you'll be sitting at anchor for a while) and a well-insulated ice box.

Realize, as you seem to do, that this is an intermediate step towards your goal of long-distance cruising. It's another "learner" boat, much like the Potter is/was. The next boat after this one is the real cruising boat, so leave everything off of this one that you can do without. You won't recoup the cost when you sell it a few years later. In a pinch, you could go live-aboard on a 24-26' boat....

I'm partial to the Seafarer 24 (well-built and has an excellent interior layout), though I've since sold mine and moved on to something bigger for eventual long-distance use. My "something bigger" (a 1974 Cal Cruising 35) is structurally sound and has almost every imaginable system... but almost none of it works. The discount for this was fantastic! It has almost an identical layout to my old 1974 Seafarer 24, only on a much grander scale.

If you were to buy something like this some place warmer, get a job and live there for a year, you could get resident rates at the colleges. This would allow you year-round sailing opportunities (great for earning your captain's license) . However, having access to all those tools in your fathers shop and a lot of time that you can't sail the boat each year, would certainly allow you to get more done. You'd probably be a lot further along in two years.
Old 05-07-2009, 10:40   #41

Save your money. In two years you are going to be able to buy a far better boat for less cash than you can right now. As negative as this sounds, the US economy is nowhere near bottom yet. Look at long term interest rates and you'll note that pretty well everyone in the world expects things to creep up and inflation to kick in.

Job losses are going to continue to escalate for at least 12 months, and the fallout from that lags by 12 to 18 months.

The decisions you make at this age will have profound effects on your situation in life as you age. Save what you can - work hard and graduate well, then take half of your savings and go out and have some adventures for a few years until you feel it's time to settle down and work hard. Don't take every cent you have, sink it into a project that is always going to want more money than you have, and start to resent the boat for the demands it places on you.

Good Luck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: