Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2016, 14:46   #1

Opinion on Cape George 36

I went to look at a Pacific Seacraft 37 the other day and happened to go aboard this sailboat and was immediately awestruck. 1975 Cape George 36 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

What a beautiful boat. It's at the top of my price range but I can not describe the feeling of happiness I had sitting on the boat - especially down below. Apparently this is a factory finished model and had a refit in 2005. I found it was for sale by another broker for $99k but I can't tell how recent that was (about 30 engine hours ago but no idea about days/years). Teak decks looked OK but I am not an expert and would hate to buy a boat with rotten decks. I noticed some bungs missing and others that looked recently repaired. Can surveyors reasonably inspect and rate the longevity of teak decks with any certainty?

This boat is a radical departure from my search. I was looking at PS 34, 37 and a Wauquiez Pretorien. Totally different boats. Can any Cape George owners chime in with their opinions of this boat? This will be my first sailboat purchase. Idea is to live aboard and sail the PNW while I gain much needed experience. I can't get a handle on its value looking at the market as there are relatively few out there for sale. Any help appreciated.

NGH
pequod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 16:22   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Opinion on Cape George 36

Ahoy Pequod!

I am not a CGC owner, but I looked at the photos of the boat you linked, to compare it to my notes on other CGCs I have seen in the past, as I like Atkins designed boats and traditional styling etc.

This one has a splendid interior, of a style I like too. Looks very clean and "new" inside, and good use of light surfaces.

As for the price?
Only you can tell what you are willing to pay or do for happiness. Boats are seldom identical, especially in condition and we all have different tastes. So what you see may be a perfect price for your satisfaction. Only the buyer will know.

But, looking at that boat, I would be very happy to own it. I am sure it could be a source of pride in ownership (boat pride).

That said, $100K can buy a lot of used boat today. And IF I were looking at living aboard in the PNW (which I have been considering too), I might look for something a bit different, for that budget.

Good luck on your boat search!

I am going to post a few photos of that boat interior to illustrate here what I liked to see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cape George 36 1975 $100k Saloon 1.jpg
Views:	3382
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	126405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cape George 36 1975 $100k Saloon aft.jpg
Views:	5911
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	126406  

Name:	Cape George 36 1975 $100k Saloon dine.jpg
Views:	1019
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	126407   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cape George 36 1975 $100k Saloon fwd.jpg
Views:	2131
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	126408  

Name:	Cape George 36 1975 $100k Saloon settee.jpg
Views:	881
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	126409   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cape George 36 1975 $100k Galley.jpg
Views:	1895
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	126410  

Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 16:48   #3

Boat: Custom

Just a word of advice,

99.9% of people on this forum are great, helpful honest and generous people.

There are a few lurkers who sit in the shadows and wait for someone like you (and me on one occasion) to do all the hard work looking for a boat and then posting an innocent enough question (like yours) with a link.

When I did, my boat was sold out from me within 24 hours and the guy actually had the gaul to gloat about what a moron I was for posting such a great boat (he was right but he didn't have to use my post to tell everyone).

You have found a pretty boat no doubt, downright appealing to everyone.

Keep it to yourself. Ask general questions without links etc.

I am in Australia and certainly here I agree with Steady Hand, it does seem a little expensive for a 1975 boat. But what would I know, I paid about that for a 1966 boat because I really really really liked it and still don't regret a cent (but I haven't tried to sell it yet)

Anyway my 2 cents worth, good luck with your search and purchase.

"I get knocked down but I get up again" eventually.
Johnathon123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 17:13   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnathon123 View Post
Just a word of advice,

99.9% of people on this forum are great, helpful honest and generous people.

There are a few lurkers who sit in the shadows and wait for someone like you (and me on one occasion) to do all the hard work looking for a boat and then posting an innocent enough question (like yours) with a link.

When I did, my boat was sold out from me within 24 hours and the guy actually had the gaul to gloat about what a moron I was for posting such a great boat (he was right but he didn't have to use my post to tell everyone).

You have found a pretty boat no doubt, downright appealing to everyone.

Keep it to yourself. Ask general questions without links etc.

I am in Australia and certainly here I agree with Steady Hand, it does seem a little expensive for a 1975 boat. But what would I know, I paid about that for a 1966 boat because I really really really liked it and still don't regret a cent (but I haven't tried to sell it yet)

Anyway my 2 cents worth, good luck with your search and purchase.
Wise words. (See bold text above.) The "great buys" and outstanding boats sell quickly. I missed a few (not for the same reason or for posting a link to them) because I was hesitant and someone else snapped them up while I deliberated.

On the other hand, I enjoy sharing links and photos of boats I admire but am not in the market to buy. I saw one not long ago that got me wishing I was living in the PNW already, because it made my heart beat stronger. Love at first sight.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 17:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pequod View Post
I went to look at a Pacific Seacraft 37 the other day and happened to go aboard this sailboat and was immediately awestruck. 1975 Cape George 36 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

What a beautiful boat. It's at the top of my price range but I can not describe the feeling of happiness I had sitting on the boat - especially down below. Apparently this is a factory finished model and had a refit in 2005. I found it was for sale by another broker for $99k but I can't tell how recent that was (about 30 engine hours ago but no idea about days/years). Teak decks looked OK but I am not an expert and would hate to buy a boat with rotten decks. I noticed some bungs missing and others that looked recently repaired. Can surveyors reasonably inspect and rate the longevity of teak decks with any certainty?

This boat is a radical departure from my search. I was looking at PS 34, 37 and a Wauquiez Pretorien. Totally different boats. Can any Cape George owners chime in with their opinions of this boat? This will be my first sailboat purchase. Idea is to live aboard and sail the PNW while I gain much needed experience. I can't get a handle on its value looking at the market as there are relatively few out there for sale. Any help appreciated.

NGH
Also not a Cape George owner, yet a few thoughts. The boat looks like a honey, and some boats (like your listing) just scream "This boat has been loved."

With that aside, since the price is currently "at the top" of what you can afford to spend, have a REAL GOOD LOOK at the 1) Rigging, 2) Sails, and 3) Deck. All three will be expensive to replace / repair.

Also, give a real good listen (or motoring trial) to the engine. People have been known to replace complete ignition units, including the speedo and hours meter (e.g., S/V La Vagabond pre Panama, now heading across Pacific).

Again, looks like a "loved" boat. Have fun!
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 17:36   #6

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

Not a CG owner...

But, I do admire them and do look at them often. The one you linked, I think, has been on the market for a while. I recognize the galley counter tops that I've seen over the past couple years or so. Certainly worth a survey to check everything over. I've seen a few CG 36s and 38s that I would have considered getting, IF I were to get a larger boat, and the Cape George is one of the few I would consider.

She's certainly a beauty. Good luck to you. I've always read good things about the Cape George line.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 18:10   #7

Boat: a sailing boat

When we lived in NZ, I happened across one that slid off a platform. I was surprised by the amount of damage the hull suffered. Looking at the boat she seems very classic (=strong?) but apparently the laminate is not as thick as we might perceive from the looks.

And I think this is good news as she may actually sail way better than she looks.

I am always into buying boats that you love. And you seem to love this one. So ...

Happy sailing!
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 18:22   #8

Actually the CG boats are very heavily laid up, very stout. The decks and superstructure are made of wood and it's these areas that need to be carefully inspected. The boats are great for offshore but not that great for coastal cruising. They are much quicker doing offshore passages than you might first imagine due to their big rigs and large sail areas. I like the boats but you might be better off looking longer for a nice Pretorian 35. These are my favorite 35 foot offshore boat period. Very well built, nicely finished and good all around sailor which can be taken anywhere. Resale is very good for a nice one because they have a dedicated following.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 18:38   #9

Boat: Seafarer36c

It may look nice but it needs just about everything to go cruising. Trust me, that is a lot of work and dough. You need to love it, then be willing to spend at least another $50k on it.
I wonder if having a cool looking boat is worth it. If it's about going cruising, then it really is not. For a $100k you could have a boat and all the cool stuff.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 18:44   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I am an actual Cape George owner (CG 31 "Ganymede," hull #30), and can testify that if you like full-keeled, proper-displacement boats, these are among the best there are (Lyle Hess' Falmouth 34 might be the loveliest thing ever designed, but Bill Atkins was pretty good too.) They are fast (by which I mean that they reach hull speed easily), seakindly, and very well-behaved in following seas--they track well. Word on the street is that the 36s often have deck rot issues, which is an expensive fix. But if there were no rot (or very little, or it was a good enough bargain), I'd snap it up in a second just to know I had one of the best hull designs ever drawn.
By the way, don't let folk tell you they're not nimble enough for coastal sailing: I've sailed into and out of more harbors, onto and off the anchor, and on and off of more moorings in pretty crowded harbors (even one where there was a huge thread about the impossibility of it) than most of the naysayers have ever motored into.
In summary: have the deck carefully surveyed, and make an offer based on the findings.
Good Luck!
Pic of my CG and her travels on my blog: Cruising with the Zartman Family - A Small Boat, A Growing Family, A Big Dream
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 20:36   #11

Thanks for all of the replies - very helpful.

Benz - I read some of your blog and wow what a story. I am glad to hear from a Cape George owner and especially one who built one himself. Very impressive. I really like the lines of the Cape George. Regarding this 36, I should run from 41 year old teak decks, right? Is it worth a survey to find that they aren't leaking but live with the ultimate liability? Perhaps if they're not leaking I would just remove them as a precaution? Can't imagine what that would cost.

Robert Sailor - my very first post here a few days ago was about a Pretorien I was interested in (sans the listing link!). I really like the fin keel, skeg hung rudder and the heavy construction and excellent reputation. However, the boat in question needs a ton of $$ (re-power, sails, roller furler, bottom paint (blisters?), dodger, electronics etc. The list is long and they're asking near top dollar. I don't think the boat has been out of the water in years and certainly not sailed in many moons. I guess I could put in a low ball offer and see what happens?

I am definitely open to other boats. Several posts alluded to better $100k options. Please feel free to send me your suggestions. So far I have found a bunch of crappy overpriced boats around here. Should I widen my net geographically?

NGH
pequod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 23:18   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Not a CG owner but wish I was. The 36 is one of the best looking boats on the water and they sail as well as they look. Won't be a light air flyer because of the wetted surface but the 32' water line and talk stick should embarrass a lot of the fin keel boats with moderate winds. They are built to a higher standard than a Hinckley so usually aren't cheap but replacement cost for a boat of that quality would probably be triple what they are asking. Wooden decks and cabin will need to be looked after but nothing that a involved owner shouldn't have an issue. Of course a thorough survey to discover any possible issues with the deck would be a prudent move.

The 36 is a slightly scaled up version of a boat called African Star that had a reputation as being a great sailor in the PNW so wouldn't expect the Cape George to be a slouch.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 23:39   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pequod View Post
Thanks for all of the replies - very helpful.

Benz - I read some of your blog and wow what a story. I am glad to hear from a Cape George owner and especially one who built one himself. Very impressive. I really like the lines of the Cape George. Regarding this 36, I should run from 41 year old teak decks, right? Is it worth a survey to find that they aren't leaking but live with the ultimate liability? Perhaps if they're not leaking I would just remove them as a precaution? Can't imagine what that would cost.

Robert Sailor - my very first post here a few days ago was about a Pretorien I was interested in (sans the listing link!). I really like the fin keel, skeg hung rudder and the heavy construction and excellent reputation. However, the boat in question needs a ton of $$ (re-power, sails, roller furler, bottom paint (blisters?), dodger, electronics etc. The list is long and they're asking near top dollar. I don't think the boat has been out of the water in years and certainly not sailed in many moons. I guess I could put in a low ball offer and see what happens?

I am definitely open to other boats. Several posts alluded to better $100k options. Please feel free to send me your suggestions. So far I have found a bunch of crappy overpriced boats around here. Should I widen my net geographically?

NGH
I like all the CG boats. I have spent a bit of time where they were all built as many years ago I was quite interested in them.
For coastal sailing there are better choices, I like several boats that are great coastal sailing boats as well as good offshore boats. The Pretorian 35 is one of them but I would never buy one needing lots of work, there just isn't enough money to buy a crapper and trying to make something of it. Two more boats in that size range worth looking at are the CS 36 Traditional, excellent boat that is closer to 37 feet and the Niagara 35 in 2 different interior layouts, also a very good choice. There are boats that will come up for sale from time to time that have really been well looked after with good recent gear. Look for one of these and pay a bit of a premium and you'll be light years ahead of buying someone else's problems. There are other good choices but these are some of the best well within your price range.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 01:16   #14

We looked at this boat back in 2013 and it was in Fantastic shape. The reason the boat is still available in my opinion is the price. There were asking 119,000 then and it still is a little overpriced. Other CGC's are selling for half the asking price. Do I think it would be a great cruising boat, absolutely. Would I pay 100k for the boat, no. Teak decks are always a concern but as long as there is 1/4" of teak or more and very few bungs missing, I would bet dollars to donuts that the cored decks are in great shape.

Good luck,
HBWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2016, 01:46   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Not a CG owner but wish I was. The 36 is one of the best looking boats on the water and they sail as well as they look. Won't be a light air flyer because of the wetted surface but the 32' water line and talk stick should embarrass a lot of the fin keel boats with moderate winds. They are built to a higher standard than a Hinckley so usually aren't cheap but replacement cost for a boat of that quality would probably be triple what they are asking. Wooden decks and cabin will need to be looked after but nothing that a involved owner shouldn't have an issue. Of course a thorough survey to discover any possible issues with the deck would be a prudent move.

The 36 is a slightly scaled up version of a boat called African Star that had a reputation as being a great sailor in the PNW so wouldn't expect the Cape George to be a slouch.
Wow! Do me a favor and shoot a quick note off to the "hacks" up in Southwest Harbor, as I'm sure they need a pointer or two from Cape George on how to build quality yachts.

Wont be paying much mind to your posts from here on in. Aloha.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote