Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2016, 07:35   #16

Boat: Islander 36
Re: Opinion on a few mid 30' boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller View Post
I'm looking for our next boat, something in the mid 30's to max of 40'. Purpose is coastal cruising, hopefully head down Mexico way next fall. Two handed sailing, wife and I. Budget mid 40's.
Our 42 year old Islander 36, sailed double and single-handed for the last 20 years, has served us well including 100's of multi-day trips in the Santa Barbara Channel Islands, 2 years cruising the Sea of Cortez and two round trips from CA to HI. Practical Sailor published a review of the I36 in February, and also describes other sailboats in the size range you seek.

Sailboats 36-40 feet - Practical Sailor

Happy hunting!
hodgmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 07:39   #17

Boat: 2013 FP Lipari 41

P.M. sent
LeeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 07:47   #18

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

The CS36 is a decent boat, especially if you can find the shoal draft version. This couple bought one sight unseen in the carib and vlogs about it: https://www.youtube.com/c/mondaynever

I had a 1994 Hunter Legend 35.5 and loved it. Lots of modern features over the older boats, like a sugar scoop stern, single line reefing, stern seats, etc. I would buy another. In your price range, you might even find a 37.5.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 11:43   #19

There is an 82 aloha 34 for sale in the Bahamas for $35,000 Canadian.
Classicsailboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 11:53   #20

Boat: RIVAL 41 Cutter

You can't do better than the Morgan 383. It was my last boat before going larger and I wish I still had the Morgan. A fast, safe, sea kindly cruiser I sailed it solo offshore for several years between Florida and Chesapeake or New England in all kinds of weather and it always was up to the task.
Also the protected prop in an aperture has prevented picking up lobster pots in Maine and also prevented damaging the prop when powering through areas on the Chesapeake after a hurricane when the water was thick with heavy tree branches, etc.
It's a great boat, well built, and the 383 is much better than its' predessessor the 382. I have owned 10 excellent boats that I sailed offshore and the Morgan 383 is one of my favorites.
When I buy a boat for offshore cruising, the most important design feature of the boat for me is the underbody. On the Morgan 383, it's bullet proof. Don't even think about any other boat. Buy it. I guarantee you will never regret it.
YARGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 12:46   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
The CS36 is a decent boat, especially if you can find the shoal draft version. This couple bought one sight unseen in the carib and vlogs about it: https://www.youtube.com/c/mondaynever

I had a 1994 Hunter Legend 35.5 and loved it. Lots of modern features over the older boats, like a sugar scoop stern, single line reefing, stern seats, etc. I would buy another. In your price range, you might even find a 37.5.
Described as a rickity old boat lol, theirs was a Merlin a good boat for sure but I much prefer the traditional model designed by Ray Wall
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 12:57   #22
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmiller View Post

Any general thoughts on buying in my parameters welcome and encouraged.

Thanks.
Get the one in the best condition, assuming everything else equal far as features. These are all old boats and by far the most important is the condition they currently are in.
Old 30-03-2016, 13:12   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

After about 3500 surveys .... in my humble (not really ) opinion the CS36T is the very best built of all "production" boats .... ask Mainesail.
Old 30-03-2016, 13:55   #24

Boat: Shannon 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I vote the Morgan, long fin, reasonable draft, skeg hung rudder, great reputation. What more could you want? :>)
The others in order of preference:
CS36
Cal
Irwin
Dead on! The first 2 are strongly built and sail well. I am less confident in the Cal and Irwin but have little experience with either other than what I hear from owners here in the VI.
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 14:53   #25
JPD

A buddy of mine owns a CS 36. I've sailed with him many times. Fast, stiff, seaworthy,bulletproof are the words that come to mind.
JPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 15:03   #26
cruiser

The suggestion of an Islander 36 was a good one.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 15:08   #27

Boat: LeComte NorthEast 38

here's another:
1970 LeComte North East 38 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
i'm a bit partial to LeComte boats, obviously. the seller is an honest guy so i'm pretty sure you will get answers from him if the broker doesn't know smth.
antoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2016, 15:28   #28

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus

Both are nice boats. The Morg 383 is of greater displacement and that will translate to more space down below. Not sure about the ballast/displacement ration, but the 383 is very well behaved and very steady offshore.

Is the CS36 deep keel or shoal keel? I personally would probably opt for the Morg 383 and its moderate keel depth. Also...IIRC....the CS36 is a fin keel, whereas the Morg 383 is a modified fin....so...a slightly longer keel.

Both have solid glass hulls. Make absolutely sure you check for blisters. Has one had a peel and seal? THAT would make a BIG difference.

The 383 is a straight forward, masthead rig with all standard US gear. She is not finished overly well down below, but, she is solid (and you are not paying for a Hinkley).

If both boats were is the same condition, equally equipped, same money...for long distance cruising.... I would probably go with the Morgan. These are very well known boats. Solid. No surprises. Upgrade paths will be well documented. Active owners group.

For local day sailing, the CS36 might be more lively.

Just some $0.02

Hope this helps
Best
J
Old 30-03-2016, 16:33   #29

Boat: S/V Pooka Com-Pac 27

Great discussion going on. Seems like both the 383 and CS36 are equally liked. That really helps verify why those are at the top of my current list.

The two boats are in very similar condition and about the same vintage.

I went on a scouting trip to look at boats and narrow it down to a couple for my wife to come back to. We'll go back together and look at both of these then go from there.
Old 30-03-2016, 18:30   #30

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

No personal experience with that particular Cal, but if the boat is 100% in all other respects besides the head plumbing, consider adding a composting head and chucking the rest. That would make much shorter work of the present situation, and effectively eliminate all future maintenance work.

Otherwise, you have some really solid options there.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote