Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2015, 13:33   #1

Boat: Looking for one
Opinion

Hello everyone I am new, I have plan to start sail in Caribbean in 2017, and looking for Hunter legend 40 (1982-1986) so I just want to know your opinion if it is safe to sail her from Florida down to USVI or even to Grenada or from Florida to Cozumel and back.

I send an e-mail to boat broker this is copy of it:

" Hi Keith, I live in Denver, Colorado but some day hopefully going to sail in Caribbean, so before I will come and look at the boat would you please tell me little bit more about condition , is that the project boat ( I am not looking for a project boat) or she is ready to sail? Did anybody surveyed boat recently? What do you think needs to be done before I can take her to Florida, where boat going to be for some time or she is ready to go right now. And any more info about boat you think I should know."

And this is answer I received:

" I suppose you could sail it to the Caribbean but honestly, if you want a seaworthy ocean going sailboat you are unlikely to find one for this price. Certainly this boat is not the one."
So question is: Do I need more seaworthy sailboat if I am going to sail in Florida-Grenada- Mexico triangle. Thank you.
Twoofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 14:05   #2

Boat: Belliure Endurance 35
Send a message via Yahoo to DaveC
Re: Opinion

Are you sure the broker was talking about all Hunter 40's or just that one you were looking at?

All boats are designed with a purpose in mind and Hunters typically are considered the light, fast, coastal cruisers.

With that being said, sailing the Caribbean against the trades winds a boat can take a beating but there are Hunters doing it, just have to watch the weather a little closer.

Maybe the broker is trying to say that the specific boat you were looking at is not in the best of shape?
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 14:11   #3
CLOD

Boat: none

A Hunter 40 can do that trip no problem. But, maybe THAT Hunter 40 can't.
Old 19-08-2015, 14:21   #4

Boat: csy 37

And drill a hole through the upper trailing edge of the rudder, then run a line through the hole and fasten it to a cleat.

That way when your rudder falls off you wont have to go diving for it.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 14:38   #5

The thorny path is no fun... maybe you want to go the long way for a more pleasant sail??
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 16:24   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

Even a short offshore trip can turn into a major open water adventure; so do not buy anything that is in poor condition: not only you will spend heaps fixing the boat up but you will also spend time fixing it when you should/could be sailing ...

Get a good boat that will take you there without need for lengthy and costly preparations.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your undertaking!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 16:38   #7

I'd be inclined to listen to the broker. He wants to sell the boat, so if he's saying no dice, she's likely in rough shape, generally speaking a hunter 40 should be fine in the caribean.

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 17:05   #8

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
And drill a hole through the upper trailing edge of the rudder, then run a line through the hole and fasten it to a cleat.

That way when your rudder falls off you wont have to go diving for it.
And if you buy an Oyster or CSY, take some swim noodles with you for when it sinks.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 17:36   #9

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Tough crowd.....
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 23:30   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 50 Ketch

Welcome! Can I ask why you are targeting a Hunter. Nothing wrong the with the boat. It just might be easier to find a seaworthy boat is you specify you requirements (living, equipment, sailing, etc.) And find a boat that fits. Otherwise you may find it limiting. Especially with any high production boat such as s Hunter. Again, nothing against high production boats. But limiting to just one reduces the chance of finding an owner that really understood sailboats and took care of the vessel. Many who buy these boats don't.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pbbmorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 01:11   #11

Boat: Jeanneau DS 49

I know lots of Hunters that sailed from California to Australia without much problem, I also know boat that didn't get that far that costs far more money.
Old 20-08-2015, 03:14   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Twoofus.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2015, 16:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Are you sure the broker was talking about all Hunter 40's or just that one you were looking at?

All boats are designed with a purpose in mind and Hunters typically are considered the light, fast, coastal cruisers.

With that being said, sailing the Caribbean against the trades winds a boat can take a beating but there are Hunters doing it, just have to watch the weather a little closer.

Maybe the broker is trying to say that the specific boat you were looking at is not in the best of shape?
Thank you so much everyone for responds.

" I suppose you could sail it to the Caribbean but honestly, if you want a seaworthy ocean going sailboat" broker said, so I think, yes he meant a different type of boat.

Why I like Hunter 40 it's roomy, two rooms, two heads, large cockpit, price... I have limited budget $35000-$45000 and I am going to keep another $10000 for first year some updates I am sure I am going to have. I will appreciate any suggestions on type of boat and best way to buy a boat
Old 20-08-2015, 16:59   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbbmorton View Post
Welcome! Can I ask why you are targeting a Hunter. Nothing wrong the with the boat. It just might be easier to find a seaworthy boat is you specify you requirements (living, equipment, sailing, etc.) And find a boat that fits. Otherwise you may find it limiting. Especially with any high production boat such as s Hunter. Again, nothing against high production boats. But limiting to just one reduces the chance of finding an owner that really understood sailboats and took care of the vessel. Many who buy these boats don't.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Thank you so much everyone for responds.

" I suppose you could sail it to the Caribbean but honestly, if you want a seaworthy ocean going sailboat" broker said, so I think, yes he meant a different type of boat.

Why I like Hunter 40 it's roomy, two rooms, two heads, large cockpit, price... I have limited budget $35000-$45000 and I am going to keep another $10000 for first year some updates I am sure I am going to have. I will appreciate any suggestions on type of boat and best way to buy a boat