Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2007, 14:26   #1

open transom trend

Hi,

I'm not sure whether this is really a trend or whether I just simply haven't been paying attention, but what is with some of these boats that are class A ocean certified cruisers, performance/cruisers in some casesbut then have an open transom on aft cockpit boats? One of the websites mention that the advantage is easy entry/exit plus any water getting into the cockpit is quickily drained.

I see it on the Najad 440 Aft version, Hanse 470e, etc. What am I missing? is this really an acceptable design for a cruiser?
Redbull addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 14:37   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
water getting into the cockpit is quickily drained.
That would be the number one issue. A large enclosed cockpit will hold a whole lot of water. At 8 pounds per gallon it's easy to do the math. Good cockpit drainage is important but so is a comfortable cockpit at anchor. The idea is not really very new.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 17:10   #3

So is it an acceptable design for blue ocean cruising?
Redbull addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 20:54   #4

If the boat does not require the additional strength of a full transom, and you dont mind putting your feet up on the seats every time a following sea comes in and, you are sufficiently harnessed so you cant get washed out the back, and you dont have a center cockpit like mine cause it would look pretty stupid !Why not.
cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2007, 21:42   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper
If the boat does not require the additional strength of a full transom, and you dont mind putting your feet up on the seats every time a following sea comes in and, you are sufficiently harnessed so you cant get washed out the back,
I don't think so.

That's what life lines are for. And if the seas were that bad a harness would be on the menu.

I like'm..........................................._/)

delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2007, 06:08   #6

open transom is the way to go for sure. Get some inserts if you are worried about getting wet in following seas - they keep most of the water out. Of course you could just go faster down wind - that keeps the water out.
Old 16-06-2007, 22:33   #7

I don't like them - think they're ideal for ocean-racers but how many people are actually doing that ? You drop anything in the cockpit, when there's a sea and it's gone. Drainage is good yes, but when you're out in weather that poops you more than once every five minutes, water in the cockpit is not the major worry...

I think it's a fad that's going to go away...
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 00:55   #8

Just think of it as a big slow jetski

Old 17-06-2007, 08:31   #9

Read sail mags recent article on righting stability of modern designs. It puts wide sterns, narrow bows in the lowest stability class for knockdown recovery...behind old 1960s cca designs. They don't say it but I imagine open transoms make matters worse recovering from a knockdown than a cockpit full of water on a closed transom.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2007, 21:13   #10
GreatKetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbull addict
Hi,

One of the websites mention that the advantage is easy entry/exit
What am I missing? is this really an acceptable design for a cruiser?
It's the easy exit "feature" that I don't like. Good crew are too hard to come by. But seriously, we all know that normal people do not ALWAYS wear harnesses. (If YOU do you are better than normal).

And, let's be honest, it's a lot less comfortable to be wet than it is to be dry. For hard core racers, fine. But for recreational cruising across oceans? Maybe I am just an old fuddy-duddy, but the idea of a cockpit that wet just doesn't appeal.

I should mention that I sail a centercockpit design, so the issue really doesn't apply.
Old 18-06-2007, 06:19   #11
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormann
II think it's a fad that's going to go away...
agree with you. a dry cockpit is much better than one open to the sea IMHO. anything not tied down is washed away also. never see power boats open at the transom.
Old 18-06-2007, 06:33   #12
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail
never see power boats open at the transom.
A great deal of them are, which is something I'm trying to avoid in buying one. There are numerous sport fishers, fishing and utility boats that are open transom.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 10:06   #13

What I don't like about the open transom is the short rudder post. The leverage would be severe and would have to be extra strong with a proven bearing system.

http://www.northsouthyachting.com.au...?/yachts/x-50/

Old 18-06-2007, 11:29   #14

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I would think the open transom would make it easier to land some good sized fish. Don't know where you're going to brace your feet when you haul him in though. Good for getting swimmers aboard and a great place to unload your dinghy after grocery shopping. A scoop stern would do the same.

I like the photo above. It shows crew with nowhere to brace their feet when heeling which is true of a lot of boats with big wide cockpits I see nowaday. It could get really slippery if something slimey got spilled and there is a lot of momentum if you get thrown from one side to the other. I don't like the idea of losing things out the back when they are missplaced on the cockpit sole.

I guess I like the enclosed secure feeling of a standard cockpit in a big sea.

Guess its a compromise like everything else in the boating world.

Kind Regards,

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 14:37   #15

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
In my opinion, the are a good idea on a yacht that can surf in a following sea. If your boat is light enough and has a hull shape that allows surfing you rarely, if ever, get pooped. My boat, venerable old girl that she is, has a hull speed of about 8 knots, but has been clocked at 18 knots surfing in a fierce tailwind with large following seas.... it has an open transom (though not as open as some) and has never been pooped while I have sailed her.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote