Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2007, 15:07   #16

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Makes MOB recovery a whole lot easier.
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 01:16   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity
Makes MOB recovery a whole lot easier.
And the cockpit a whole let less comfortable, untill the much more likely MOB occurs ...

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 01:27   #18

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
Question, how many instances of MOB are you aware of where an open transom was considered a factor? There a lots of them around so let's hear it.
Why less comfortable?
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 01:51   #19

Having an open transon I say they are just as comfortable. It is rubbish to think that more water gets in. We have a set of removable wash boards that go in with rubber edges that keep out the water when conditions are rough enough - most of the time it's fine without them. It's easier to land fish, land guests onto the boat, makes MOB a much simpler process. When you are cruising it's a great option. My father who is getting on in years can get on and off the boat without breaking his kneck, and especially having guests who are not used to boats on board is now a pleasure. What are the bad points again about an open transom?
Old 19-06-2007, 02:12   #20
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"
My transom is walk through rather than open. Fit a washboard in for sailing and all is good. Many a cruiser has walked past us in the marina and gotten a hardon the way we step on & off, no "tender" injuries on lifelines, simple to get on & off the dink, land fish, saw timber without the dust in the cockpit, MOB & just about anything else. I would have to have some compelling reasons to ever go away from the design.
Oh yeah, have also put it through the paces on the NZ coast & the only water I've had in the cockpit came over the side and of course that drained away real quick.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2007, 09:41   #21

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn
I like the photo above. It shows crew with nowhere to brace their feet when heeling which is true of a lot of boats with big wide cockpits I see nowaday. It could get really slippery if something slimey got spilled and there is a lot of momentum if you get thrown from one side to the other. I don't like the idea of losing things out the back when they are missplaced on the cockpit sole.
I have plans to put in a large speed bump or a convex type of deck in the cockpit. On the level, if water gets in it'll run to the sides and out the drains. While the boat is heeled one can brace their feet against it. If it's too big then one would slide off the lower side making it worse. I considered a teak convex or concave insert. It would be great if I could design a gimbling cockpit deck with a gyro.

I wanted to convert to an open transom but the upper rudder post bearing is supported by the back of the cockpit, which made the engineering problematic. It could be done by putting in U shaped cut-outs but time is against me on that one.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 10:31   #22

Boat: Beneteau First 30es fractional rig "Evolution"
Send a message via MSN to Prflyer1 Send a message via Skype™ to Prflyer1
I have an sail a First 38 with the close transom, and a First 30 with the open transom, although have very little experience with the open transom, it is BY FAR more confortable, and to some extent seems safer because getting to the tender and swimming seems safer, as far as offshore I have no experience with the open transom, will keep informed!

it is so easy to take a swim that I definitly prefer the 30
Old 27-06-2007, 13:28   #23

Boat: Freedom Express 39 - Attitudes
Another problem I have heard of with open cockpits, that hasn't been mentioned, is waking up to a croc sunning themselves in it, while cruising Northern Australia. I imagine I would have my morning coffee down below.....
Old 27-06-2007, 15:18   #24

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Quote:
Originally Posted by marno
Another problem I have heard of with open cockpits, that hasn't been mentioned, is waking up to a croc sunning themselves in it, while cruising Northern Australia. I imagine I would have my morning coffee down below.....
I have never heard of such a thing occuring...
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 16:23   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Seal of approval...

... but it is not unknown for seals to take advantage of a comfy spot to snooze...
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 20:26   #26
mjt

Boat: Samson C-Shell 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBill
...behind old 1960s cca designs.
What's a cca design?
Old 27-06-2007, 20:38   #27

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
I also have a walk through transom and have to agree with NoTies that it makes life easier and all I have to do to keep those pesky seals out is to close the door.
Lancerbye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2007, 21:16   #28
mjt

Boat: Samson C-Shell 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjt
What's a cca design?
Google answered my question here:

CCA Rule - The WoodenBoat Forum
Old 27-06-2007, 23:18   #29

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
I've had several yachts, from centre cockpits, to closed transom, to open transom - and they were all great.

But do you really think you get crocs in an open transom in Oz? Someones having a lend by putting that story about.

Do things fall out an open transom? Gguess they could, but not once on ours in many years hard sailing.
Are they quicker to drain if you take water (from forward as well as aft)? For sure.
Do they give easier access etc when parked up? Obviously yes.
Do they make it easier to get pooped? IMHO unlikely - as most open transom yachts have more volume in the stern leading to them being lifted by a following sea. I've never been pooped in maybe 50,000 miles sailing.

But its fact that having the two rudder stock bushes closer together does mean the loadings are greater, so that part of the yacht has to be built stronger, plus a shallower cockpit will always feel less secure in a big rolly sea.

We all have our own views on whats best - but IMHO its best not to perpetrate folklore just to try and justify a view. Best stick with facts.

Cheers
JOHN