Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2013, 11:09   #16

Re: One Keel Vs Two Keels - Westerly Bilge Keel

Hi Shorebird2. Hope you are still enjoying your Westerly. Wondering how you would go about doing a bottom painting without hauling out your boat? Thanks for your time and info.
itsthatClaydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 22:43   #17

Sorry to say but I sold here and bought a trimaran. I loved that boat brought me the many a storm.

which one do you own.

The way to do out is find a sandbar that sticks out at low tide beach out on it throw a couple if 4x4 under the keels. do not sand the keel scrap it. Paint with rustoium then paint bottom.
Skip
shorebird2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 10:47   #18

Hi again. Not an owner yet just dreaming right now. But have interest in Westerly Twin/Bilge keels. Wanted a way to reduce maintenance cost by drying out and careening/beaching from time to time. Thought would be easy to clean/scrap, but didn't think you could paint bottom between tides. The occasional haulout for that wouldn't be too bad. Well, good luck with your tri, and thanks again for the info.
Clay
itsthatClaydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 13:51   #19

Clay if you put it on a sandbar that is exposed asst low tide you can do it a court of 4x4 under the keel will do it the the next tide do where the boards are.

t they are great boats just slow when cruising but strong heavy boats.

Mavin concerns when buying I've check the bilge where all the keel bolts are and no water our rust. The cast iron keel scrape don't sand,can paint with metal paint.

Good luck

Skip
Old 01-03-2013, 14:18   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: One Keel Vs Two Keels - Westerly Bilge Keel

I'll give Westerly's a thumbs up.. mine were fin but the only real difference with bilge is to weather.. they don't hold point as high..
And one tide is plenty to get a couple of coats on paint down as it falls and up as it rises.. we're not talking mega yacht.
And if you run aground trying to get in on a falling tide.. put the kettle on, make sandwiches and look like you meant it...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 14:47   #21
Armchair Bucketeer

As Boatman says, one tide enough for a couple of coats of paint. If worried the first time factor in 2 tides - the first to clean / scrub / scrape, the second for the paint......you will soon enough get to one tide on 26 foot.

One thing to remember is that not a lot of clearance with a 3 foot(?) draft - don't park on soft sand / mud! and be prepared to get covered in wet and mud! - and to spend a lot of time bending over! (even when not under the boat - under will be a lot of lying down!).......with restricted access a radiator roller really comes into it's own.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 14:57   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
As Boatman says, one tide enough for a couple of coats of paint. If worried the first time factor in 2 tides - the first to clean / scrub / scrape, the second for the paint......you will soon enough get to one tide on 26 foot.

One thing to remember is that not a lot of clearance with a 3 foot(?) draft - don't park on soft sand / mud! and be prepared to get covered in wet and mud! - and to spend a lot of time bending over! (even when not under the boat - under will be a lot of lying down!).......with restricted access a radiator roller really comes into it's own.
LOL.... +A1
a lot of the prep scrubbing is done as she settles..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 01-03-2013, 19:15   #23

Vietnamese, I agree I loves my Westerly but I'm a multihull guy.

It was a scream out there in 20 to 30 knots of wind while the others are reefing mine was just shaking the crinkles out and moving 6 knots. Fun for a afternoon of sailing but cruising I prefer my trimarans.

Would I buy another sure I would. The westerlies were built like tanks, because they were made for the north seas.
Old 01-03-2013, 19:21   #24

Just remember is starting to apply paint after second tide have plenty of fresh water to rinse the salt water away first.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:46   #25

Hello
I am looking for a small bilge Keeler like a Westerly Warwick or Pageant. There are many Westerly Centaur 26 available but few smaller Westerlies. Are you interested in selling ? Dave at steelroberts36@hotmail.com
dmaingot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:15   #26

Boat: 27' Albin Vega - mangomuffins

Had a Vivacity 21 w/ bilge keels. Pointed really well...very solid...really nice vessel.

note: when heeled over, one keel is, more or less, perpendicular. which provides a good counter to leeway...OTOH, you are dragging the other keel through the water like a broken leg...unless some folks are correct in saying that this keel provides "lift" .

cheers,
mm
mangomuffins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:33   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Westerly 22, Bilge Keel, Gunter Rigged Yacht with 9HP Volvo Outboard and Trailer | eBay

Tags
bilge, keel