Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2015, 02:43   #16
cruiser

Re: Offshore seaworthiness....

Boatman,

Have you ever tried to reef a Hunter 42 or 450 main manually without a furling system, boom or in-mast? I have, everything is 7-8 feet above the cockpit deck due to the cockpit arch. It's a real PITA, and that's even when you're in the marina or on a calm day.

If the boat's equipped with a Bimini... good luck, bring a ladder.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	108084  
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 03:10   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Offshore seaworthiness....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Boatman,

Have you ever tried to reef a Hunter 42 or 450 main manually without a furling system, boom or in-mast? I have, everything is 7-8 feet above the cockpit deck due to the cockpit arch. It's a real PITA, and that's even when you're in the marina or on a calm day.

Ahhhh... a Lagoon mono...
Lead everything aft and fit electric winches..
OR
Dump the main and just go downwind...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 03:14   #18
cruiser

It would be nice if it was that easy, but the Hunter really needs the main sail for power.
Old 29-08-2015, 03:58   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicks Landing View Post
I am considering buying a Hunter 42 Passage...I want to sail the Pacific and across the Atlantic...is this boat seaworthy for this type of cruising or should I be looking at other boats?
Yes. the boat is tougher than you, and more seaworthy than some would be's around here.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 11:53   #20

Thank you all for the valuable information. The right thing for me to do at this stage is to see what I can do to get a refund on my deposit and take a couple steps back to research the proper boat to move forward with my dreams. Best regards to all and thank you again.
Quicks Landing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 12:26   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Boatman,

That's a design failure that makes the boat totally unfit for short handed sailing and any serious offshore work. If you can't reef the boat by hand and/or do a fix for a failed furling system, the boat is only suitable for inshore sailing. Sh*t happens, if you can't fix it or ameleorate it at sea, you are in for a very unpleasant experience.

These new boats are designed as dockside condos with large interiors that are unsafe at sea. See lots of people bragging about how they are single handing boats larger than 45'. Bet none of them have had to change a headsail in a strong wind. I would be looking at a boat with a max size of around 40' or even smaller with fairly simple systems. As a test, you might try and pick up a bagged genoa for a 40' boat and and carry it up a flight of stairs. Now think about doing that on a boat rolling through 40 degrees while getting deluged by green water, the wind blowing 30k and in the middle of a pitch black night. You may never have to do it but if you do, it's almost guaranteed it will be in the crappiest conditions imaginable. Roller furling on the headsail, slab reefing lead back to the cockpit and lazy jacks on the main. Good strong dodger and bimini to make life in the cockpit pleasant, Steerable by wind vane self steering or enough electrical generating capacity to feed an autopilot and the spare parts to keep it working. A boat with an encapsulated keel. That will cure the 'Oops, lost my keel syndrome of the newest designs. That will also give you a decent sump to keep any water that gets below, and it will, in the bilge not rolling up the sides of the hull soaking everything it comes in contact with. May have to go with an older boat to get a decent seagoing design but it will save you money in the process.

Good luck in your search. Take your time, there's always a good deal out there. Might want to get more experience sailing. Crewing on a racing sailboat is a great way to hone your sailing skills and possibly sail in conditions that are not always bright and sunny.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 12:49   #22
cruiser

Here's another look at the mainsail furling issue. This is our previous Hunter 450 where furling/reeling the main was solved by using a ProFurl boom, which worked great. My friend's identical boat had lazy Jacks or a Duchman system for dropping the main for reefing. What a PITA, we both dreaded climbing up on top of that narrow cockpit arch, or the three mast steps just to get a hand on the boom. Yes, there's actually a couple of fold down steps leading up the inside of the arch... Honest.... there really is. The top span of the archway is about 8-9 inches wide, and you're supposed to stand up there. The top of my Bimini is 6.5 feet, the boom is an addition 18 inches above that. We had to climb up there like monkeys to put the sail away. So much of the time, George just sailed around only using his jib. Ours was easier with the ProFurl.

Ken
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	179
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	108105  
Old 29-08-2015, 12:50   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

To be honest.. from this photo of one under sail where you can actually SEE the goose neck it looks no big deal... but then I'm 6'2" with long arms...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 29-08-2015, 13:27   #24

Boat: Tayana 52

We sailed a 1991 legend 43 which has the same hull as the Passage 42 from Florida to Oz, no problems. For going downhill the Passage would be better with the masthead rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 13:36   #25

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrycooper56 View Post
We sailed a 1991 legend 43 which has the same hull as the Passage 42 from Florida to Oz, no problems. For going downhill the Passage would be better with the masthead rig.
I note your current Bob Perry Tayana 52. Just an observation.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 13:37   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]To be honest.. from this photo of one under sail where you can actually SEE the goose neck it looks no big deal... but then I'm 6'2" with long arms...
OK Phil.... I'm beginning to SEE how you can do it.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	182
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	108119  
Old 29-08-2015, 13:40   #27

Boat: Tayana 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
I note your current Bob Perry Tayana 52. Just an observation.

Admiral wanted a bigger boat and the 52 is beautiful

Gerrycooper56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 13:43   #28

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrycooper56 View Post
Admiral wanted a bigger boat and the 52 is beautiful

Yes indeed!
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 14:03   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
OK Phil.... I'm beginning to SEE how you can do it.
ROFLMAO.... I've shaved since then..

Old 29-08-2015, 14:15   #30

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicks Landing View Post
Thank you all for the valuable information. The right thing for me to do at this stage is to see what I can do to get a refund on my deposit and take a couple steps back to research the proper boat to move forward with my dreams. Best regards to all and thank you again.
Smart move. I feel for you though, I know what it's like to fall in love with a boat and then discover it's not right. I agree with Roverhi's advice too. There are boats that are beautiful at the dock and there are boats that are beautiful in a storm, and they are not often the same boat.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offshore