Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-06-2014, 20:05   #1

Offshore Sailboat with Full Keel

Hi all,
I have a 30' sailboat, which eventually I like to replace with size 34'-36'.
While I am practicing on my current sailboat, I like later on to buy a sailboat that has the following capabilities:
- Can go off shore, and handle rough weather ( since by no means I am expert sailor, I don't know if you consider full keel the golden standard for off shore sailing or not).
- LOL is 34' or more.
- 1980 or newer model.
-Up to $35.000.00.
Do you think, it is possible to buy a sailboat within the above guidelines, where I can upgrade it slowly, or am I asking for too much boat for too little money!!!
- And my last question is: If I have to add a radar, which one is better: To put it at the mast, or on a metal pole in the aft of the sailboat?

Thanks a million,
Andy
openseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 20:29   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Offshore Sailboat with Full Keel

Locate the radar where it can never be touched by a sail. If you buy broadband, the range is less so a pole mount is OK. Broadband is low power, instant on, high resolution. We see seagulls flying past at 200 yards. You really only care about the nearby boats anyway. Fast moving boats outside of radar range will probably be using AIS. We see them as far as 60 miles.

Look for your boat on the Great Lakes. There is a really short season here, fresh water & most boats are marina queens.

Price range is possible but plan to add stuff. I'd rather get a boat with nothing rather than pay for obsolete electronics.

Full keel is OK. Also, modified or partial full keel. Also double-ender.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2014, 20:30   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Andy,

$35,000 is a workable budget for a 34-36' boat. More than likely will be some degree of fixer upper at that but for that price would not be buying a junker. Just remember to keep a good bit saved for the repairs, parts, and everything else that will come with a used boat.

Full keel I'm not a huge fan. I have had a full, deep keel boat and prefer a modified fin. A compromise. Better performance than a similar full keel but shallower draft usually sturdier than a deep fin. NOTE, these are all generalities and there are plenty of specific boats that will fall outside these guidelines.

To better understand. How far offshore and where? Can mean very different things depending on what part of the world you're in.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 15:36   #4

Boat: Bristol 38.8

These are good boats, and a number of then have been raced to Bermuda and elsewhere. I'm not sure why this one is so inexpensive. They usually go for around 30K.
1985 Sea Sprite Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

You can also find Arlberg 35's in decent condition in your price range.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 17:53   #5

Boat: Tartan 37C

I have done some research on the Horizon Nemo. It seems to be a well built boat and forgiving in foul conditions. Do any of you have any information or input?
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 19:31   #6

Boat: Alden auxiliary ketch 48'

I would also suggest looking for boats in the Great Lakes area. I sail there and see many older boats in "like new" condition because they see the sun for only about 4 months out of the year. No salt water to cause any problems. You can a lot of bang for your buck. Probably won't have any blue water equipment on it but that is a minor issue. I am a big fan of full keels but only because that's what I have sailed. Modified are also good - shallower draft is a plus.
Old 25-06-2014, 20:03   #7

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Being in the Chesapeake Bay, you don't have to travel far to find boats for sale. But you needn't overly restrict your buying radius, either.

By making a routine of watching the likely websites, like Yachtworld, and reading the sailing rags and forum ads, you will find some likely candidates to research further.

When I was shopping for my present boat, I took my inflatable to harbors up and down the coast, seeing every boat in the harbor. That effort led to my nearly purchasing a Rafiki 37. But I found TN on Latitude 38. And traveled from Los Angeles to San Francisco to find, and later buy and deliver her.

When the right boat finds you, it will let you know.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2014, 23:40   #8

Boat: Boatless in Seattle. Ex- Alberg 30, 30’ Gillnetter, 63’ Wm. Hand Ketch, 36’ Lapwor

There are a couple of Alberg 37's on the market now that are very cheap, but need work. Great sea boat, yet a little plain down below. Don't be afraid of early glass boats, they are built very very strongly and many fleets are still,going strong. my alberg 30 is a good example - four boats have made single handed circumnavigations, the most recent two skippers finished this past year. These boats are all built in the '60s.
Also three or four Rhodes offshore 40s are currently for sale for around 35k .

Plan on spending the same amount for updating...
Glenn.Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 06:38   #9

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn.Brooks View Post
...three or four Rhodes offshore 40s are currently for sale for around 35k .

Plan on spending the same amount for updating...
This is important to keep in mind. What it usually means is that, what looks like a bargain, isn't.

For someone with an absolute upper budget of $35k, you don't blow the whole wad on buying a fixer-upper. Unless you want a lifelong career. Keep in mind the ongoing expense (slip fees, insurance, bottom service, property tax, ...) while you're trying to make a living AND make a boat out of it.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 07:11   #10

I would not be afraid of boats from the 60s and 70s . Any boat that you are looking at will have been re-newed several times . Early glass hulls were mostly bulletproof . Early centerboard boats have over the years proven to be very good in rough seas and dominated ocean racing for many years . Several 60s era Charlie Morgan centerboaders still win Bermuda races originating in the south.
pistarckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2014, 07:13   #11

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Yea that looks to be a pretty good deal on the Sea Sprite 34! They were essentially a Luders 33. The molds were bought by Seasprite and reworked a little I think they added 8-10inches and it became the Seasprite 34. Great boats and solid construction. They usually go for twice that asking price. However that one does have some deck issues going on I can see from the picture. Still with airtex cores it wouldn't be that hard of a fix. It's probably up so cheap because the boat market is still so slugish. It seems the only thing moving are killer deals.
Old 26-06-2014, 07:52   #12

Boat: Tartan 40

sent you a PM about my Luders 33 which I have extensively upgraded and in true turnkey condition, and may put on market this summer..... Forgot to mention new dodger and bimini in extensive list of upgrades. Located on Chesapeake and well in your price range!
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 16:58   #13

Boat: Bristol 27

Maybe you would consider a boat that's pre-1980 but in rather good shape. This one is on the Chesapeake Bay at the mouth of Onancock Creek. You could probably sail over and check her out.

Allied Princess 36

Sailboat - 36' ALLIED PRINCESS
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2014, 18:14   #14

Boat: Westsail 32

Westsail Owners Association - Westsail 32

WESTSAIL - CRUISING BOATS FOR SALE
Old 28-06-2014, 01:17   #15

Hello, over the years I've had full keel , full keel with cut away forefoot, long keel with skeg hung rudder. Fin keel also. My personal preference is modified fin keel (long keel)with skeg. The sailing and stability is not compromised and the agility is increased. Sea kindliness is about the same as long as you have good ballast to weight percentage. Older cruising boats are fairly bullet proof. You do give up some boat speed to newer type models but the easy motion is well worth the difference. I prefer a stiff boat which is what you generally get with the older medium to heavy displacement boats. Of course this is my opinion and I don't know where you intend to sail or how long your passages are going to be.
I hope this helps
Circe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel, sail, sailboat, offshore