Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-05-2008, 01:29   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Maxi 77 - Relax Lah!
One other issue is "duty cycle" - By this I mean boat "A" has a certain rig. That rig is subject to pounding and stresses on weekends. Boat "B" has a different rig. That rig is designed to be subject to bigger pounding, at sea, for weeks at a time.

Among the many considerations should be, "How will my rig hold up in heavy seas for weeks at a time."

Relax Lah! is For Sale <--- Click
Click--> Custom CF Google Search or CF Rules
You're gonna need a bigger boat... - Martin Brody
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 06:14   #32

Boat: Columbia 8.7 As You Wish III

As a novice I have often wondered about the term offshore.

Is it a distance (10 - 100 miles).
Is it a body of water (florida to Belize, florida to BVI, New Jersey to BVI, Florida to Maine, Texas to Florida) are some more calm than others.

Back to the thread.

a 77 Catalina 30 or 9.6 Columbia for a coastal/Island hopper? Presuming the same condition.

ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 07:14   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The one great flaw I find with most of these type vessels is the lousy joke of a bilge. Get a gallon of water below and it just sloshes from side to side on the cabin sole. I sailed aboard a friends Pearson 28 and we constantly had water running around the cabin floor. I picked up the floor hatch expecting to see the bilge. I was horrified to see a bin about 4" deep and 18 " wide. I yelled up asking where the hell was the bilge. He said that was it!! That's no bilge that's a dust bin!.

My little Cape Dory 25D has a bilge that's 3 FEET deep and about 8" wide. And ALL the water that enters the vessel from any source ends up down there where a single centered pump can get in back where it belongs. IMHO that's of the main differences between a blue water vessel and a coastal cruiser.'

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 07:35   #34
sitting on the dock of the bay

Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
the problem with the catalina 30 is the interior pan dropped onto the hull and glued in place for reinforcement. as I understand this can come apart in heavy seas and then you will be left with a big problem.
sometimes the things that may or may not be true are the things a man needs to believe in the most.
gonesail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2008, 16:53   #35

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Hi KSmith,

The offshore question is a good one. I think I'd answer it in this way:

If I'm out of normal VHF range, ( SSB land ) in waters with few or no aids to navigation and more than a days journey from a safe harbor I'd consider myself
" offshore". In that scenario the vessel and crew, would have to contend with whatever weather and sea conditions developed for an extended period of time.
The further away from a safe harbor, the more likely you are to encounter a wide range of conditions.

That said, trying to run an inlet in a gale, would scare me more than riding it out at sea.

In your example, Florida to Maine, much of that journey can be done either inside or near coastal. NJ to BVI is offshore, unless you go inland or near coatal to florida and Island hop. Still, you'd have to cross the Stream..and some of the legs are long, I believe. I don't have those charts loaded right now.

Tempest245 is offline   Reply With Quote

catalina, catalina 30

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: