Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2015, 11:23   #1

Offered free Haida 26 mk3

Hello,

I'm very new to sailing and have never owned a boat. I've been scouring the internet for good deals and realizing that I have a lot of saving to do...

I was recently offered a Haida 26 mark 3 that is bare bones. No mast, no standing or running rigging, no engine. I was told that the mast and most of the rigging may be available from the original owner for around $1000.
It seems to me to be in very good condition. No rot, no osmotic blistering on the hull, cabin is also bare bones but it's all still put together. Might need some remodeling. Deck feels firm, no squishy bits. Keel and rudder are in good shape, no evidence of collision.

I'm looking for advice.
Can anyone give me a rough estimate of what it might cost to restore her if done on the cheap?
What might this Haida 26 be worth in it's current condition?

Any other comments or advice much appreciated.

Evan
Evanallmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:44   #2

Boat: F&C 44
Re: Offered free Haida 26 mk3

As a general rule the most expensive boat you can find is a "free boat". By the time you add the missing stuff and fix the rest you'll be in for more than it's worth. Yachtworld.com is a good resource for getting an idea what boats are going for.
SteveSails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:51   #3

I think a decent fiberglass Haida might be worth 5-6k up here in the PNW. Add up what you think.
It depends on what you mean by restore...? Can you live with the interior?
If the mast is good and you rerig it you are likely into it $1500-2000 for the mast and rig.
Another $500 in soft rigging etc.
Another $500 in ground tackle.
Outboard Engine? $600-800
Cushions good? If not $1500
Winches OK?
Autopilot?
Batteries/electrical?
Sails? $2000-5000

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 13:02   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Haida's seem to have a following in the PNW as great pocket cruisers capable of long distance cruising. The price of the hull is right. Most equipment can be picked up off Ebay or Craig's List at very good prices. Masts for small boats seem to be quite common. May not be the perfect mast but easily adaptable. If you can get the original mast and rigging in good condition for $1200, it's probably a deal. You'll still need sails but careful shopping could get them used for under a $1,000 or you could just splurge and get new if you plan on keeping the boat. Used outboards are out there for under $5, 5hp will get you out of the slip though probably would want to go with a bit bigger to fight the tides. What is dry storage where you can work on the boat with electricity and water available till you get it in the water. Once launched, what's it going to cost to moor the boat?? All costs that you have to consider and have discouraged me from buying another boat..

When you get done, you'll have a quality boat that you know will get where you want to go. Don't think it will be easy or quick unless you are that unusual person with a ton of drive that doesn't need sleep. You won't save any money if you could find a comparable boat in the $6,000 range but then you are getting into it for nothing and can add to it as the money becomes available.

I've done it twice. Having a boat and a goal has a way of sharpening the mind and providing the drive to get it sailing. Maybe they weren't the smartest economic moves I could have made but don't regret for a minute doing it. Have learned a lot about boats and their construction that have served me well in other areas. As someone said, nothing beats messing around on the water on a boat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 13:09   #5

Thank you for your replies and advice.

One thing I should have mentioned is that I am definitely a do-it-yourself'r. I have rebuilt a couple of engines, built a small house for myself, and have general knowledge of DC electrical.

I have searched the internet extensively for Haida 26's for sale and in general find the pricing of sailboats to be all over the place. There are Haida's for around $5000 and others for $20,000, both looking to include all the hardware and decent interiors.

I sometimes wonder why sailboats are so expensive, even after factoring in the expense of the many components needed and work hours required to install/replace them. Seems a tad inflated.

https://www.marinehub.co.nz/boats-fo...id=11&offset=6
Old 12-02-2015, 13:12   #6

There is some value in "pay as you go" for sure. But please know what you are getting into...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 22:11   #7

Getting the rig that the boat was designed for would be best, so I would confirm that you could get the original rig for 1K$ before thinking of taking on the project. There are plenty of money saving things on Craigs List that dont need to be exact, but I think the rig should be. Just my 2 cents worth. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 23:23   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Take good look at the deck, some ( my two boats ago boat) was a Heida and the deck was unskinned plywood and getting pretty pinky with only rubber deck coating to protect it.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-02-2015, 00:49   #9

Boat: Ferrocement Converted Trawler, 13m

Straight off the top of my head, budget ten grand, spend twenty, borrow another twenty, then steal a fast car and make a run for the border before your creditors catch up with you.

... or save 3grand and spend a few months bargain hunting for a sound boat that needs a scrub and an oil change.

Good luck.

Peace.
Mr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 08:44   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Do you have a place to keep her while doing the work, or the cost at a yard to keep her on the hill?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 14:06   #11

Boat: O'Day DaySailer 16

Is there a reason you went with the Haida? Is this a boat you've been looking at for awhile and wanted? Just curious as to why you went with a boat that was missing most of it's basic equipment. I saw a few of these while looking for my first boat, I passed when I figured out how much it would cost to get the boat sailing again.
mlucasparris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 15:10   #12

I've got land that I would be able to store the boat on for free, but I've decided to pass up this free Haida. The overwhelming opinion was that this would end up costing way more than a complete boat with all the fixings that just needs some love and care. I figure this year I'll spend as much time sailing on other people's boats to save and get a better sense of what size/designs would work best for me.
Thanks to all who took the time to share their thoughts.
Old 17-02-2015, 08:46   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evanallmighty View Post
I've got land that I would be able to store the boat on for free, but I've decided to pass up this free Haida. The overwhelming opinion was that this would end up costing way more than a complete boat with all the fixings that just needs some love and care. I figure this year I'll spend as much time sailing on other people's boats to save and get a better sense of what size/designs would work best for me.
Thanks to all who took the time to share their thoughts.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 17:41   #14

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Do you have all the money now you will need to get her sailing. If no then pass you will spend your time and money here and there and never get her in the water

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2015, 00:02   #15

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts

Is it still up for grabs?
tager is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offer