Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2015, 07:19   #1

O'Day comparable to which other mfr?

I don't really know anything about O'Day boats. What would you say they are comparable to? Hunter? Catalina? Bene? Or something a little more substantial? Pearson? Tanzer?
I saw an ad for a 27 footer a few days ago at a decent price and wondered if it is something worth looking at.
The boat is located on an inland lake, and would likely stay there in freshwater as a "polish my skills" boat.
Any experience you may have with the brand, or that model in particular would be appreciated.

Thanks.
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 07:44   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: O'Day comparable to which other mfr?

Oday boats are comparable to hunter/bene, but more lightly built.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 09:54   #3

Boat: Hylas 49

Pearson is pretty comparable.
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 10:06   #4

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

There a millions of those, as well as the Catalinas.

O'Day cut corners (as do all builders). For a daysailer a O27 is just fine.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 10:09   #5

Is there anything to look out for in particular if I decide to take a look at it? Any stress points that typically fail on these boats?
scgilligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 10:12   #6

For your intended use, it's just fine, excellent. While during the time they were being made they were "compared" to Catalinas, that's simply not true anymore because Catalina is still in business and with both Catalina and Catalina Direct, many if not all OEM parts are still available. This is just a fact, not knocking the O'Day boats. Indeed, IIRC, there is a vendor that still stocks and distributes parts for them.

Another different is an active a vibrant owners association. Most Catalinas have them, so you don't have to reinvent the wheel for repairs and upgrades. I do not know if O'Day has these, and see lots of O'Day skippers on the www.sailboatowners.com website. You might be able to find that vendor I mentioned there.

Good luck --- nice boat.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 11:30   #7

Boat: Stevens Cutter 47'

I had a 1988 35’ O’Day my wife and I sailed from Chicago tothe Bahamas and then cruised the east coast and Bahamas for several years. It was a very comfortable and forgiving. They are comparable to Catalinas butdefinitely stronger that Hunters, medium light in displacement and very seakindly. Most of the hardware was common stuff so Ivery seldom had to reinvent the wheel. I’mnot familiar with the 27 model but if it’s anything like the 35 it’s definitely worth taking a look. Enjoy the shopping.
Gregg F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2015, 15:21   #8

Boat: Catalina 30

The problem with O'Days is that they went through various various ownerships. In general, the earlier versions were, IMO, were better built. On par with Catalina/Hunter etc. I'm not impressed with the versions with the ones with grey hulls. The keel attachment is very suspect. i would avoid them, even on a lake. I saw this one in person. The pictures don't do justice to the lack of quality.

O'Day 302 Loses Keel - Check Yours!! | SailboatOwners.com Forums.
anchorbend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 09:18   #9

Boat: O'Day 40

I don't think you should tar all O'Days with the same brush. There were thousands built and the only model that has shown failure is the 302. If you read down the thread there are pics of a 34 that has a substantial keel stub.
As with any boat, of any age and by any manufacturer, have it checked thoroughly by a surveyor you trust.
Old 16-12-2015, 09:28   #10

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

O'Day's were built by Jensen Marine, the same builder as the Cal line of sailboats. Solid laminate hulls not cored but decks were with balsa core.
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 09:41   #11

O"Days were a beginners sailboat for inshore waters. Catalinas and Pearsons a cut way way above. Good for day sailing and perhaps as a sandbox for the kids after you cut away the keel.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 11:23   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgilligan View Post
I don't really know anything about O'Day boats. What would you say they are comparable to? Hunter? Catalina? Bene? Or something a little more substantial? Pearson? Tanzer?
I saw an ad for a 27 footer a few days ago at a decent price and wondered if it is something worth looking at.
The boat is located on an inland lake, and would likely stay there in freshwater as a "polish my skills" boat.
Any experience you may have with the brand, or that model in particular would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I had an O'Day27. I think thirty years ago. A good boat lots of room not bad in 6 to 8s. As I recall it had a hell of a weather helm, and won't win any races. I can't make a comparison never owning any of the others.

If the price and condition are right I wouldn't hesitate. Best of luck!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 11:29   #13

Boat: 1979 O'Day 28

As my information reveals I own a '79 O'Day 28. I've had it for 6 years. I sailed Narragansett Bay for 4 years and have since moved to New Bedford so I could sail on Buzzards Bay.
I believe the 27 uses a tiller and may have a centerboard. You can find lots of information about O'Day's on I Heart O'Days.
As with many boats it isn't just who made it but how well it was taken care of that really makes the difference. The 28 is light for it's size. I wanted something that would be sailed more in light winds than heavy weather. As mentioned the hull is solid layup the deck cored. This is not a boat you would take off shore. But it works fine along the coast including in rough seas and 20 knot winds. More than that and I'm not out there. I agree it compares to other production boats like Catalina. My sense is Pearson is more heavily built. But I wouldn't be afraid of an O'Day that checks out with the surveyor. One example of the kind of compromises that they made would be that the deck is cored but not around the stanchions. The stanchions and pulpits all sit on solid laminate. Also my keel is lead and encapsulated. It's no going anywhere. I don't know if the 27 is the same but mine has features I was looking for: keel stepped mast, cockpit with a full bridge deck and 6 ft. of headroom in the salon. The web site I listed will give you all the details on the 27 and any other O'Day. Good luck.
billdre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 11:57   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdre View Post
As my information reveals I own a '79 O'Day 28. I've had it for 6 years. I sailed Narragansett Bay for 4 years and have since moved to New Bedford so I could sail on Buzzards Bay.
I believe the 27 uses a tiller and may have a centerboard. You can find lots of information about O'Day's on I Heart O'Days.
As with many boats it isn't just who made it but how well it was taken care of that really makes the difference. The 28 is light for it's size. I wanted something that would be sailed more in light winds than heavy weather. As mentioned the hull is solid layup the deck cored. This is not a boat you would take off shore. But it works fine along the coast including in rough seas and 20 knot winds. More than that and I'm not out there. I agree it compares to other production boats like Catalina. My sense is Pearson is more heavily built. But I wouldn't be afraid of an O'Day that checks out with the surveyor. One example of the kind of compromises that they made would be that the deck is cored but not around the stanchions. The stanchions and pulpits all sit on solid laminate. Also my keel is lead and encapsulated. It's no going anywhere. I don't know if the 27 is the same but mine has features I was looking for: keel stepped mast, cockpit with a full bridge deck and 6 ft. of headroom in the salon. The web site I listed will give you all the details on the 27 and any other O'Day. Good luck.
I don't think the 28 was a stretch 27. The 28 had more interior space due to more beam, although the 27 was roomy.. And no, at least the 27 I had was not centerboard.
It was tiller. And I did not hesitate taking her off shore. Just needed a strong arm and a solid tiller for that weather helm. She pointed into the wind well. JMHO
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2015, 14:09   #15

Boat: Caliber 47

Anyone suggesting O'Days are on par with Catalinas and Hunters either have never seen an O'Day up close or has owned too many Catalinas or Hunters to know better.

Much stronger boat. Better fit and finish, gel coat much nicer, interior finish much nicer.....not evn close.....some of the newer versions.....the " grey hulled versions" maybe not.

O'Day made 2 27's.....either one will do fine!
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote