Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 16-12-2015, 14:31   #16

Re: O'Day comparable to which other mfr?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber40 View Post
Anyone suggesting O'Days are on par with Catalinas and Hunters either have never seen an O'Day up close or has owned too many Catalinas or Hunters to know better.

Much stronger boat. Better fit and finish, gel coat much nicer, interior finish much nicer.....not evn close.....some of the newer versions.....the " grey hulled versions" maybe not.

O'Day made 2 27's.....either one will do fine!
O'Days are a joke. Sears use to sell them. Basically wading pools with a sail. Guy at our yacht club put a hole in his dinky O'Day just by bumping into one of the docks. On the other hand,they are very light weight and can be towed to lakes and ponds that real sailboats can not access.

Old 16-12-2015, 14:45   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber40 View Post
Anyone suggesting O'Days are on par with Catalinas and Hunters either have never seen an O'Day up close or has owned too many Catalinas or Hunters to know better.

Much stronger boat. Better fit and finish, gel coat much nicer, interior finish much nicer.....not evn close.....some of the newer versions.....the " grey hulled versions" maybe not.

O'Day made 2 27's.....either one will do fine!
I think the Catalinas and Hunters may have been fitted with a flashier interior to attract a particular market? Namely the wives.

Old 16-12-2015, 15:14   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Hey Gilligan.
I'm in Australia and wouldn't know an O'day 27 if, as Reed was implying, a keel fell off one before my eyes.
So for hours now I've been researching them.
FOUND NOTHING anywhere which would stop me buying one, given your price range and intended use.
By comparison, Stujackson, Cadence, Caliber etc....all seem more than knowledgeable enough to have evaluated your enquiry and to now give quality advice.
ALL of them have said, almost without reservation, 'do it Gillie, you're gonna be fine'.
Brother (sister?? I don't know.) , there are people in life who seem to be intent on being a bloody vexation to the spirit of every person they can. Don't EVER let turnkeys get you down. When you take on board their lifes grievances you'll make big mistakes.
Some have offered you good advice....run with it!
FWIW this old bastard thinks you're going to have a ball.
JUST DO IT.....no never sold a thing in my life in case you think I'm trying to set you up to buy socks or something.
Thanks for listening Gil'.
Old 16-12-2015, 15:16   #19

Boat: Oday 25

Again, it depends on how well it was maintained. We are currently sailing a 1983, 25, keel with centerboard which appears new, other than showing a few stress cracks in the gelcoat at the cockpit floor where we constantly step down. It weighs about 4800 lbs which is not light for a 25. It has given us great service for the last 4 years. With a little perseverance we have tracked down and stopped every rain leak and now the bilge contains dust. We sail in the Hudson River which can get quite choppy. The boat is a bit tender but otherwise just fine. I'm a bit experienced, as this is my 9th boat and they range from 13 to 43 feet. I like the Oday which may turn out to be my last boat. Have a skilled surveyor look it over and you'll be OK. D & R Marine stocks some parts.
Old 16-12-2015, 15:30   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
O'Days are a joke. Sears use to sell them. Basically wading pools with a sail. Guy at our yacht club put a hole in his dinky O'Day just by bumping into one of the docks. On the other hand,they are very light weight and can be towed to lakes and ponds that real sailboats can not access.
Sounds like an I knew someone type of sophomoric post.
Old 16-12-2015, 17:00   #21

Boat: Catalina 30

I had an O"Day 28, 1981 and loved it. 9' seas on the way to Bahamas were FUN! Would have it today if it hadn't been stolen. Have a Cat 30 now, very happy as it is a heavier, prettier boat. But unlike others here, I have actually owned one and cannot fault it. Simplicity, easy to repair if it needs. Only downside was the sail motor, which the previous owner had let corrode away. I took it out, filled up the hole and added an outboard, which served me wel.

If you like the boat, by all means get it.
Old 16-12-2015, 17:51   #22

Boat: O'day 34

Our first sail boat was an O'Day 25 which we were very happy with, so much that we bought an O'Day 34 when we were looking for something larger. We have owned this one for 10 years, and are still very pleased with it. We sail it primarily on Lake Michigan, and the previous owner's cruised it extensively in Lake Huron and the North Channel. While not a full keeled blue water boat, I have no qualms taking our O'Day offshore.

Probably the worst thing you will find if you survey the boat is moisture in the deck and/or cabin top - this is fairly common in O'Days of this age. Most owner's don't rebed their hardware, and after 30 years most of the original sealants have failed. I am in the middle of re-coring the decks on our boat now. They were wet when we bought her 10 years ago and we have sailed her hard in the interim, and I am surprised how solid the decks were even with very wet core.

Our boat still has the original gel coat and I buff it every spring and it looks fantastic. I'm not sure what experience reed1V had that has soured him so on O'Days - I think they built a very nice production boat that was at least comparable in quality to the competition at the time.
Old 17-12-2015, 06:42   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

ODay 27 (1972 - 78)
I Heart O'Days - Model Information - O'Day 27

O'Day 272 and 272LE (1986? - 1989)
I Heart O'Days - Model Information - O'Day 272

For parts that are specific to O'Day boats, the best source is Rudy Nickerson at D & R Marine. Rudy was the materials manager for O'Day before they went bankrupt in the late 80's/early 90's.
D & R Marine
Phone: 508 644-3001
Fax: 508 644-3002

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2015, 15:54   #24

Boat: Hylas 49, Cutter Rigged Sloop

While some people posted honest, helpful comments, I'm astonished at some of the ridiculous replies to what seems a reasonable question. "Sears"? "A Joke"? Cmon...

1. O'Day's were made in Fall River Massachusetts. They used the same production methods and tooling as Pearson and other production boat builders. I would directly compare them to Pearson. In the same factory the "Cal" boats were made. Same people. Same processes.

2. In some ways they were better put together than other boats. For example, the hull to deck joint on an O'Day is overlapped, thru-bolted and glassed rather than put together with tapping screws as on some boats (like Catalina's for a while).

3. Those who say O'Day is worse than Jeanneau or Benetau don't remember that for a while Jeanneau and O'Day were the same company. The O'Day 40 (for example) was the same hull and construction as the Jeanneau Sun Fizz 41.

4. O'Day (like many other boat builders) went out of business when the government passed their 15% "luxury tax" on anything over $50K. Bristol, O'Day, Pearson, and about 10 other builders didn't survive this ridiculous legislation that was repealed a few years later. Too late. Nothing to do with the construction or the boats.

5. I had an O'Day 40 for 10 years. It was a far better boat than a Hunter (stiffer, faster) 40 in its day but in no way was it a heavy weather boat. It pounded in a chop and you really did not want to have more than a 130% genoa or it became overpowered.

6. My current boat is a Hylas cutter I built from scratch in 2008. I learned a lot about construction and the differences in boats from having an O'Day day-sailor, a Hunter 33, an O'Day 40, and an Island Packet 45 prior. The O'Day was a reasonable production quality boat in its day. I went to the factory and saw them being built. How many of the people making smart-ass comments earlier can say that?

Rick
S/V Black Diamond
Hylas 49-057
Old 26-12-2015, 18:25   #25

Boat: Cape Dory 31

In 1976 I knew a Professor who bought an O'Day 27. He liked it and cruised southern New England for two years. In 1978 he decided to sail it singlehanded to Bermuda. He made it three days out and the bulkheads were disintegrating. He had loose chainplates also. He had it fixed by the local dealer and sold it. He bought a Southern Cross 28 which made it to Bermuda the following year. He again cruised the New England coast and found his new choice of cruising boat much more suited to his intended use. The O'Day 27's are not suited to bluewater cruising. They are lightly constructed club racers from the early 1970's. They can be suitable coastal cruisers for those on a tight budget if you keep a close eye on the weather.
Old 27-12-2015, 07:13   #26

O'Days were crap, iimho. I knew Ev Pearson's yard very well since my father bankrolled his company along with Dick Fisher's boston whaler plant. ODays were a joke back then. Someone said they were through bolted, we only saw cheap pop rivets holding the boats together. Pearsons had much heavier layups and internal stringers. Probably why if you sailed an ODay through the Gulf Stream it disintegrated. Wobble wobble.
And a Hylas is way different than an ODay. Much better boat.If ODay was such a great boat, why did the poster switch brands?
Old 27-12-2015, 07:53   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

REED. With all of your expertise and opinion perhaps you might consider coming back as a combo of Warren Buffett, Donald Trump and Barak Obama, all wrapped up as one. Then, maybe ?? youd sell like hot cakes. Whatever O'Days may or may not be, ...you boy have a bit of history to you.
The OP han no intention of Gulf Streaming, nothing too adventurous, just getting started, like you when you first stopped pooping your daipers.
Damned if i know why i get stirred up, likely even the totally newbies ignore you.
Lay down on a beach....think about butterflies or some other such nice things for an hour then come back here a pleasanter guy.
Old 27-12-2015, 09:41   #28

So you rather encourage folks to buy a substandard boat than know the truth of what they sail on? Seems irresponsible of you.
Old 27-12-2015, 09:51   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Reed. A Chevrolet is seriously sud-standard when compared to a Merc.
But plenty of people buy chevs and fords because not everyone is well enough heeled to buy a ??? Swan, as you would like to see happen.
Youve do not walk in the OP's shoes Reed nor do you know anything about them.
Maybe?? the op is as fine a person who ever walked but just happens to be poorer than you....at this point in time.
MUST you delight in spoiling peoples parties Reed??
Old 27-12-2015, 10:14   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
So you rather encourage folks to buy a substandard boat than know the truth of what they sail on? Seems irresponsible of you.
Reed, have you ever owned an O'Day? I have, years ago. Granted not a circumnavigator but a good boat for coastal cruising. You depiction as crap if invalid crap. I would not have given a second thought to Bermuda with a good weather window.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: