Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2019, 11:15   #1

Boat: 1974 Pearson 26
O'Day 27 ...potential first boat

Searching for first boat. Have been flip flopping from trailer sailer to marina. Now leaning towards the marina. I digress...
Going to look at a 1978 O'Day 27 w/outboard tomorrow.
Anything specific to this model to look for?
I don't think these boats had any provision for an anchor...strange but not a deal breaker.
Hoping to hear from someone who may have had 1st hand experience with this vintage of O'Day.
The boat has not been in the water in the last 4 or 5 years. The previous owner was known to have been an avid sailor who spent lots of time and effort on the boat. FWIW.
Thx, Rol1964.
Rol1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 17:24   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: O'Day 27 ...potential first boat

If you are new to sailing and expect to be primarily a day sailor a trailerable boat will be a small investment with the ability to sell rather easily and follow up costs will be negligible.
The initial cost of the O’Day, the cost of ownership, and the ability to sell should you discover sailing is not for you will be much greater.
A more detailed description of your intended use would make responses to your query more helpful.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2019, 18:10   #3
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

you might check out the Oday 25 .. it could be trailerable and a nice little boat in its day.
Old 21-09-2019, 20:45   #4

I have no reservations in my intentions. I’m just asking for any tips from those who have experience with this particular vintage and / or brand of boat. Much obliged.
Old 22-09-2019, 09:45   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

A trailerable boat will be cheaper to own, no slip fees, haul out costs for bottom paint, etc. Unfortunately that comes with the PITA of having to launch the boat and set up the rigging anytime you want to use it. If you can find a storage yard where you could leave the mast up would make things easier. Almost forgot, do you a fwd pickup to tow and launch the boat.

For me, the hassle of trailer launching versus the convenience of getting under way from a slip make a marina kept boat the only choice if I really intended to use it. My first 'big' boat was a 26' in a slip, sailed the hell out of that boat every weekend and occasional midweek sails.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 10:29   #6

The O'Day27 was, like many another 27-footer half a century ago when every Tom, Dick and Harry suddenly had to be a seafaring man, specifically designed as a "starter" boat. As it came from the womb it was, like thee and me, utterly naked, so be not surprised that what you are looking at has an O/B motor and no ground tackle. But since you are in La belle Province, you might like to compare the O'day with a Mirage27 which you will probably find superior in every respect.

Cruising, while on passage, consists of long stretches of utter boredom interspersed with brief interludes of aching anxiety. Folk from a seafaring tradition know that, and so did the designers and makers of these sorts of boats. Therefore these boats were designed to be RACING boats as opposed to cruising boats. Racing is where the jollies are, and these sorts of boats therefore tended to gather in flocks in order to facilitate racing. Small racing boats, as exemplified by the O'Day27 as it emerged from the womb, relate to cruising boats as sows' ears relate to silk purses.

Structurally, these boats are much of a muchness, and one will be as good as any other unless it's been abused.

The great merit of boats such as these is that the "entry fee" in minimal, say five boatbux, and for that, plus an annual ownership expenditure of roughly another ten boatbux (if the boat is kept in a marina) you can learn the basics of boat handling and basic seamanship. You can also learn the racing rules if that is what you want, and there is absolutely nothing better than bashing around the buoys on a short course for teaching you sail trim and general situational awareness.

If you have not already seen this, do have a good look at the sail plan for the O'Day and see if you can determine just why it looks like that and what the implications are for cruising.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/oday-27

While you are about it, consider that your maximum speed through the water is going to be about 5 knots on a beam reach. What does that portend if you set out for, say, Trois Rivieres so you have to come home against the current of the river?. I ask because in my 30 footer with an inboard diesel, and a speed of 6 1/2 knots, there are times when I simply cannot make way over the ground going up the Fraser River.

Lots to think about. The O'Day will get you started, but bear in mind that the vast majority of the stuff you need to learn to be a cruising man is stuff you learn from books. That is why we have Maritime Academies for professional seafarers. The boat is for giving you an opportunity to apply what you've learned from the books. So given the time of year and your location, maybe you might consider postponing your purchase till the spring, and using the winter to do some serious reading.

All the best

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2019, 11:25   #7

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rol1964 View Post
Searching for first boat. Have been flip flopping from trailer sailer to marina. Now leaning towards the marina. I digress...
Going to look at a 1978 O'Day 27 w/outboard tomorrow.
Anything specific to this model to look for?
I don't think these boats had any provision for an anchor...strange but not a deal breaker.
Hoping to hear from someone who may have had 1st hand experience with this vintage of O'Day.
The boat has not been in the water in the last 4 or 5 years. The previous owner was known to have been an avid sailor who spent lots of time and effort on the boat. FWIW.
Thx, Rol1964.
I owned one in days of yore. It was a good boat not exceptionally fast but a good cruiser coastally. A ten HP OB was a little weak but sufficient for making a slip unless in a spot with a fast current. As I recall it had a bit of a lee helm.
Good luck.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 01:40   #8

Boat: Contest 50CS

I owned a 27'Oday and was very happy with it. Had it for 5 years. it had ground tackle but no windlass. I took the boat on weekend cruises as well as day cruises. I think you will be happy with it. Great learning boat!
sailone3032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 02:07   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
The O'Day will get you started, but bear in mind that the vast majority of the stuff you need to learn to be a cruising man is stuff you learn from books.
Good heavens, TP! This is exactly opposite to what I believe, that is, most of what you need to learn to be a successful cruiser is learned in a boat where you make the decisions and live with the results. Reading is a good start, but one that can be absorbed in a couple of weeks... then getting out on the water and trying to apply what you have read is crucial. Without that, it's just words, and reading all winter and then essaying upon the water expecting to be a sailor is just wrong.

IMO nothing beats experience with a bit of book learning to stimulate the experiences and lead to experimentation.

Jim
Old 23-09-2019, 03:21   #10

Boat: Bristol 27

Looks like a good first boat but a lot will depend on what shape it's in and how the outboard is mounted and the age, type, and shape the outboard

I have a Bristol 27 sailboat of the same displacement which was built in 1974 and it has a 5 hp 4 stroke 25" outboard on it. The key though is that it has a 25" shaft and an adjustable bracket which will get it quite deep in the water. I have returned from 30 miles out on my 5 hp 4 stroke outboard

It came with 5 anchors and electronics to include autopilot. Two of the anchors had 35'-40' of heavy chain and 250' plus of rode

There are lots of 27' sailboats out there some of which are classified blue water so it's possible to buy a starter boat that you can also cruise on for a while

This guy has cruised much of the world on his 27' Bristol starter boat which is I believe a 1973 model that he got for $1,000. (I got mine for $2,000 btw 8 years ago but then I added a new outboard and new mainsail among other things over the years) He has a monitor windvane and an electric autopilot he built

As far as learning sailing, get the boat and learn by doing. Keep a few sailing books onboard also which you can read while sailing or at anchor

Also a dodger and roller furling jib are nice things to have plus an autopilot especially if sailing singlehanded

https://towndock.net/shippingnews/se...-and-alexandra

https://atomvoyages.com/planning/goo...oats-list.html

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/bristol-27
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00107.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	436.8 KB
ID:	200409   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00209.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	438.7 KB
ID:	200410  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2019, 05:08   #11

Did a brief inspection yesterday. The hull looks really good but the boat has been left on a cradle without a decent cover on it for up to 4 years. So a few gallons of water had accumulated over the past several seasons. All standing rigging looked fair to good. All running rigging is deteriorated beyond. 10 HP Evinrude (stored inside) hangs on central mount. Cabin appears to be mostly serviceable. The boat has mostly been neglected. I’m not sure I want a “project”. I may just walk away.

Tags
boat