Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-05-2011, 20:10   #1
KEG

O'DAY 25

Out of the thousands of bass boats that have been listed here in ND, there is finally a sailboat, a 77 O’Day 25 for sale. It’s double the NADA price but comes with a trailer.

Since we need to learn to sail and have a few years before we plan to get out to the PNW, is a O’Day 25 a good starter boat?

Praise and bash away.

Forgive me if I don't jump back in right away, I work long hours and I'm trying to finish my second book, for publishing.

Matthew

Old 20-05-2011, 20:16   #2
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Re: O'DAY 25

Entry level starter boat.

pretty much the definition of the o'day line right outta the chute.

If it's in good condition and the price point is on target for what it is....

go for it.

; -)

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2011, 22:36   #3

Boat: 25 ft O'day Fixed Keel

My brother & I purchased a 25 o"day fixed keel on a trailer last Feb. It came with a ton of sails, 11 ea, so that was one reason we elected to get it. Anyway, we took it out last weekend and she sailed quite well. It seemed like it was pretty fast for her size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bellab18.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	27614  
Old 25-05-2011, 10:18   #4

Boat: O'Day 40

I bought an '87 40' O'Day and really like it so far. Sails easily and seems fast. I would dicker the price. Boats are going pretty cheap now days. Do they have a survey?? You always need to be concerned about moisture in the hull and deck on a boat that old!!
Old 25-05-2011, 19:37   #5
KEG

I was actually kind of happy when an ODay came up for sale close. Well, by close I mean a hundred miles away. I've been reading a quite a bit and they do seem to be a "good larnin boat."

I'm hoping to go see it this weekend. Hopefully it's been stored in some farmers equipment shed and not outside, if so I'm pretty sure that water in the hull and decks won't be a problem.

Survey? Yeah, good one. I don't think there's anyone qualified to do one for 5 or 6 hunderd miles. The closest ASA is 600 miles away.

I think I can do ok, I've been around boats all of my adult life. I also worked in my brothers boat shop for a few years (he's a master marine mechanic). I might be qualified to check out the mechanical and electrical stuff having taught advanced auto mechanics in a post secondary school and I currently hold many masters certificates including ASE and a Canadian Red Seal. My current specialty is diagnosing and repairing advanced electrical and drivability problems in a Chrysler/Toyota dealership. I'm pretty sure I'll do all right there.

Yeah yeah, I know boats are different but my job in my brothers shop was rebuilding and tuning powerheads and rebuilding legs.

My hobbies include furniture building and cedar strip canoe building. I also make handcrafted paddles so I think if there is rotton wood or glass I should be able to handle that also.

That being said, it will still be a huge learning experience. Everyday I learn how much I don't know.

The big stickler is the asking price. It's over double what they are selling for on sailboat listings. However since it comes with a trailer and if it has been storedinside, out of the elements AND not used much, it might be a hidden jem.

Matthew
Old 25-05-2011, 19:59   #6

Boat: 25 ft O'day Fixed Keel

Matthew,

Just remember unless it's darn near perfect, have some patience as there are many many boats this size that come up for sale and you can always find a deal out there. Good Luck.

Pat
Old 06-06-2011, 19:41   #7

Boat: IP 31' sloop

keg,
I have an oday 25. wanting to upgrade to larger size. send your email address and I will send you a link to some pics. new bottom paint, four sails good,hull buffed, some new standing rigging, new bulkheads, new carpet on walls , new led lighting in cabins
skipperr100@yahoo.com
Old 07-06-2011, 04:01   #8

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

You could always print out the ads for a half dozen other O'Day 25s and show them to the seller as a price comparison. Nearby is nice, but heck -- they are trailer boats and you could easily haul one 1000 miles if it meant saving $1000. . . .

Tags
o'day 25, oahu

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: