Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2016, 02:58   #391

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Oceanis 485 steering failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Haha thank you Malbert , I keep in mind,,, I did something similar to your idea with a couple of Nautitech rudders 5 years ago, don't ask me why or how but the owner wreck both rudders in a couple of occasions,, bending one shaft in the last hit, I rebuild both rudders with foam and glass leaving the bottom sacrificial with thiner layup , never think about to make a double bottom in the rudder but make sense , well believe me or not , that guy scracht both rudders again a couple seasons later , and to my disgrace one rudder take the beat very well but the other one nahhh, at least he can steer the multi back to the boatyard......
Interesting. That is a thing I wonder about. I know that cat rudders are more unprotected than mono-hull rudders, specially the ones with daggerboards even if the small keels of the other type do not offer a great protection.

Have you any significant experience repairing cat rudders to have an opinion about that, I mean if they really sustain more rudder damage than deep keel boats?
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 06:53   #392

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
Interesting. That is a thing I wonder about. I know that cat rudders are more unprotected than mono-hull rudders, specially the ones with daggerboards even if the small keels of the other type do not offer a great protection.

Have you any significant experience repairing cat rudders to have an opinion about that, I mean if they really sustain more rudder damage than deep keel boats?
I see lots of weird things, from a Lagoon 42 with both keels wrecked to a Fp with a loosing keel, they have the keels glued in a hull recess, but honestly I don't see many with rudder damage , condomarans with mini keels are ok unless they want to see closeup sea stars, and those with daggerboards are prone to rudder damage and even hull damage , example.. a Swicht 51 or a Catana.. the work involved is the same as to rebuild repair a mono spade rudder , I must say I hate the nautitech rudder bearings.... But answering your question , they sustain rudder damage when they are used by morons,,, some charter companys don't have a tight skipper policy,
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 12:06   #393

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
some charter companys don't have a tight skipper policy,
How can you say that, Neil?? All the charter companies here in Oz require a REALLY high limit on the charterer's credit card...

Jim
Old 15-02-2016, 13:29   #394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
How can you say that, Neil?? All the charter companies here in Oz require a REALLY high limit on the charterer's credit card...

Jim
Not here Jim, at least not here in SXM,, bareboat charter partys usually don't have many isues, the problem is the oposite at lest in the last 5 years, payed skipper you know, from a overnight trip to BVI in a catana , the skipper fell asleep ramming the boat with a fishing boat and destroying a bow, or a switch 51 wrecked 2 times in the same reefs around anguilla , the list is endless..... without counting a skipper collided with the marigot bridge 2 times, in one breaking a chainplate, and the other we dislodge a full multi rig from the bridge ....
Old 15-02-2016, 14:24   #395

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

All copied, Neil, and I reckon that there are similar stories in all bareboat havens... we've seen our share, and we try to avoid those areas!

By the way... help out an ex-pat here: where is "SXM"?

Jim
Old 15-02-2016, 14:49   #396

SXM Sint Marteen.
Old 18-02-2016, 23:53   #397

Boat: AHD windsurfer :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
Its only max $2k AUS excess for a 300+k boat, minimal experience required, what could go wrong?

Anyway, shhh, some insurance person might read this then I'll be screwed for my next charter !

Shane
Old 18-05-2016, 16:03   #398

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 48

We own a 2014 Oceania 48 and today received a recall notice in order reinforce the rudder post.
Denise-SJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2016, 16:06   #399

Recall issues today to reinforce rudder tube.
Old 19-05-2016, 03:30   #400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise-SJD View Post
Recall issues today to reinforce rudder tube.
Wow, you have any link or info about that? So if this is true i guess those trolls who denied no matter what the problem need to think twice and re read this topic again....
Old 19-05-2016, 03:35   #401

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Wow, you have any link or info about that? So if this is true i guess those trolls who denied no matter what the problem need to think twice and re read this topic again....
Damned right. About time too. Well overdue in fact.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 05:10   #402

Boat: Tartan 40

Hmm. And i thought from reading this thread that since the oceanis was start of the art design, the rudder design must be as well 😀😀

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 06:11   #403
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:

Yes, someone should eat crow here. But he'll just pretend he never saw it instead.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2016, 06:49   #404

Not interested in anyone having to eat crow. We received a letter from Beneteau USA advising us that Beneteau France has made a design change in the rudder tube frame. The new design is more robust and will allow less movement of the router tube platform. We are advised to contact our dealer. Affects out Oceanis 48.
Old 19-05-2016, 06:55   #405

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise-SJD View Post
Not interested in anyone having to eat crow. We received a letter from Beneteau USA advising us that Beneteau France has made a design change in the rudder tube frame. The new design is more robust and will allow less movement of the router tube platform. We are advised to contact our dealer. Affects out Oceanis 48.
Good to know that all the noise in the net and the serious incidents make some tear and wear in the design department of Beneteau,,, sad they found the right way to late,,,

Tags
oceanis, steering