Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-02-2016, 09:47   #256

Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Re: Oceanis 485 steering failure

The third picture come from a 2012 Oceanis 50, double wheel setup.
The rest are B43, B46,B48 Oceanis series.
Try to found the 7 differences Paolo.

A you can see the method used in the whole Line is the same, plywood glued screwed, tube supported by plexus at the top bearing.

So if you can found a single small evidence proof that there is differences between Oceanis models with a single rudder setup with a ply box as rudder structure maybe I can change my mind, until then, to me they are brothers in rudder construction, if the plate is provided from a AUS dealer to the B46 and B43 customers I say the rest need the plate to.... As far I know until year 2012, you show a pic in a previous thread of a Beneteau Oceanis with double rudder setup and I think those rudders posts are fitted in a diferent way, then again scracht your head and say if you see any diference between rudder box in the Oceanis line?????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	redothecollar.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	118706  
Attached Images

Old 10-02-2016, 10:04   #257

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post

A you can see the method used in the whole Line is the same, plywood glued screwed, tube supported by plexus at the top bearing.

So if you can found a single small evidence proof that there is differences between Oceanis models with a single rudder setup with a ply box as rudder structure maybe I can change my mind, until then, to me they are brothers in rudder construction, if the plate is provided from a AUS dealer to the B46 and B43 customers I say the rest need the plate to.... As far I know until year 2012, you show a pic in a previous thread of a Beneteau Oceanis with double rudder setup and I think those rudders posts are fitted in a diferent way, then again scracht your head and say if you see any diference between rudder box in the Oceanis line?????
What an utter joke.

‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:16   #258

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
... Most of the problems he had encountered had been with failures of fittings and fixtures below, often due to flexing of the hull. He said to me that despite the fact that he had purchased the vessel directly from Beneteau, their aftercare was, to put it mildly, less than stellar, and when he discussed his route as being a circumnavigation, halfway through it, was told flatly that it "was not designed for such purposes". Yeah… go back and see if they will say that publicly. Needless to say, the owner of that boat, who told me that story in a most heartfelt way, enthusiastically agreed with Beneteau's analysis of his particular model (I cannot recall precisely which one). It is a shame they didn't suggest the same to him prior to his commissioning purchase...
I don't think that anybody in his right mind, including Beneteau dealers is going to say that an Oceanis was designed to circumnavigate. Everybody knows that and also that there are boats specifically designed to do that kind of stuff. They are called in Europe voyage boats.

Off course even if not designed for it, evidence shows that many have circumnavigated and it is expected that a boat that cost 3 times less than one specifically designed to circumnavigate has more problems while doing that.

That is all obvious and you never heard me saying that an Oceanis was the most indicated boat to circumnavigate but one thing is all this, that I would say is evident, another thing is saying that the Oceanis are crap. Even if not the boat that I would chose for the price, I would say that they could not have remained for decades the most successful boat in sales, if they were crap and do not satisfy their clients.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:27   #259

So we have under EU regulations CAT A, CAT B, CATC and CAT POLUX.... lol.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:28   #260

Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201

What about being able to charter a Oceanis 485 around the caribbean and not sinking?

As in why this thread started to begin with
Old 10-02-2016, 10:30   #261

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
So if you can found a single small evidence proof that there is differences between Oceanis models with a single rudder setup with a ply box as rudder structure ...
You are confusing things. I have said that for more then 10 years they use a similar set up.

That was not the point but the fact that you have said that the Oceanis 48 and all other current Oceanis models with a single rudder (41,43, 45, 48 and 50) have a Beneteau recall to have the rudder set up modified.

By the way I have received another email from Beneteau confirming that claim of yours is false, this time not from Beneteau France, like the first one, but from Marion, Beneteau America, from the customer service supervisor.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:31   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
I don't think that anybody in his right mind, including Beneteau dealers is going to say that an Oceanis was designed to circumnavigate. Everybody knows that and also that there are boats specifically designed to do that kind of stuff. They are called in Europe voyage boats.
Well that is a turn up for the books. So why do they call it "Oceanis", then? And why no advisory to buyers, sailors, and families that it is NOT designed for Ocean service?

Quote:

Off course even if not designed for it, evidence shows that many have circumnavigated and it is expected that a boat that cost 3 times less than one specifically designed to circumnavigate has more problems while doing that.
Problems may include, from time to time, SINKING AND DEATH (families and children not respected).

Quote:

That is all obvious
Not to everyone, mate, and not to families choosing to take these suburban RV's across Oceans… and where is the warning from Beneteau? This is the FIRST such acknowledgement I have heard from you, and I have never read any published, up front warning from Beneteau saying anything like the same. What should be stated under every "Oceanis" sticker, which has such a rudder structure is "Oceanis* (*not meant to mean capable of Ocean service, for which it is not designed.)"

Quote:

...and you never heard me saying that an Oceanis was the most indicated boat to circumnavigate but one thing is all this, that I would say is evident, another thing is saying that the Oceanis are crap. Even if not the boat that I would chose for the price, I would say that they could not have remained for decades the most successful boat in sales, if they were crap and do not satisfy their clients.
Actually I definitely have heard you defend Beneteaus blandly and regardless of model as entirely worthy for "unrestricted ocean service" and we became acquainted crossing swords over exactly such an assertion. Your backing down to the idea that these are fine inshore and coastal vessels, provided adequate rescue cover represents an absolute climbdown from your earlier position that they were entirely fine for Ocean service. No one would dispute that such vessels have some kind of place in the market. I really like some Beneteaus and teach RYA on some and enjoy it, though as I said I do prefer Jeanneaus.

But this rudder structure, for being interisland in the open Atlantic, is garbage. For being an Ocean boat, vis, "Oceanis", is garbage. Charterers should be warned, and appraised. Heck, even your words quoted above (finally!) I would accept as the beginnings of a warning!
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Old 10-02-2016, 10:34   #263

How about that many boats aren't designed to circumnavigate but it isnt because their rudders aren't built to last that long.

There's no way they have a disclaimer out there saying these boats are good for 24,000 miles but if you try to go 25,000 around the world then watch out for that rudder because our limit is 24k.

Boats are not designed for circumnavigating due to lack of equipment, displacement, tankage, sail plan and so on NOT because the damn rudder won't handle it
Old 10-02-2016, 10:36   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
How about that many boats aren't designed to circumnavigate but it isnt because their rudders aren't built to last that long.

There's no way they have a disclaimer out there saying these boats are good for 24,000 miles but if you try to go 25,000 around the world then watch out for that rudder because our limit is 24k.

Boats are not designed for circumnavigating due to lack of equipment, displacement, tankage, sail plan and so on NOT because the damn rudder won't handle it
And indeed a good point.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:36   #265

Voyage boats? under which category?
Old 10-02-2016, 10:39   #266
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Voyage boats? under which category?

Maybe he's taking about these ones
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1455129591.781908.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	118715
Old 10-02-2016, 10:41   #267

Nice Multi, I think you read my mind, definitely a Multi Voyage 480...
Old 10-02-2016, 10:46   #268

Quote:
You are confusing things. I have said that for more then 10 years they use a similar set up.

That was not the point but the fact that you have said that the Oceanis 48 and all other current Oceanis models with a single rudder (41,43, 45, 48 and 50) have a Beneteau recall to have the rudder set up modified.

By the way I have received another email from Beneteau confirming that claim of yours is false, this time not from Beneteau France, like the first one, but from Marion, Beneteau America, from the customer service supervisor.
Can you please email back to Marion regarding why those rudders tubes come loose under mistery citcunstances?? instead of hammering the thread with the same song,,,,,,
Old 10-02-2016, 10:46   #269

Polux your logic is faltering. First they are sea worthy, now Bene says no no nope not meant for leaving sight of land....oh wait that Cat A cert is just for aesthetics dont really pay any attention to it.

Which one is it. Sea worthy or not???

you know what never mind I'll help you. If a rudder isn't "built" to make it around the world then the boat is NOT SEA WORTHY.

There is absolutely no difference between this and saying that a car is perfectly safe and of sound construction but for the love of GOD dont go on the highway they werent built for that.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:48   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckle Flugga View Post
Problems may include, from time to time, SINKING AND DEATH (families and children not respected).
That is funny. Sad that its true but funny!

Tags
oceanis, steering

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: