Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2016, 07:20   #151
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: Oceanis 485 steering failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
Oh man that is funny!

I know hind sight is 20/20 but by attaching all the steering inputs above the upper bearing they turned the rudder post into a class 1 lever, which is good and all except for levers are designed to move things, even if it didnt want to be moved. Making the rudder post longer and attaching it to the deck "could" have prevented all of this.
Agree, the Beneteau 50 , not the Oceanis serie ,have the top bearing fitted in the deck , leaving the tube free from torsional or lateral loads.. no problems so far...
__________________

__________________
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:22   #152
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Boat: Custom Van De Stadt 47 Samoa
Posts: 3,730
Re: Oceanis 485 steering failure

Well . . .

Probably pretty clear now where the source of the water was. The bottom of the tube cracked entirely around.

Probably happened because the plywood upper bearing tray came loose and the autopilot pushed the rudder shaft and tube back and forth.

The autopilot finally going wild was probably a symptom of the plywood coming loose - pushing back and forth no longer turned the rudder, just pushed it back and forth.

The plywood coming loose was probably a combination of poor design, fatigue on the poor design from heavy charter use (probably include groundings), and inadequate maintenance/inspection. I might note in that regards, the photos show some ugly corrosion on the pump and ram - not excellent maintenance.

And yes, I do think it has been a useful discussion (1) to point out an element of bendy design that owners should pay attention to, (2) the side discussion of pumps and water inflow rates.

These Bendy's are designed and engineered to stand up to 98% of their owner's usage. But it appears to potentially cause (relatively infrequent but serious) problems for boats that used 'commercially' and rode hard and put away wet (eg less than commercial safety grade inspection and maintenance) This case and Cheeki Rafiki being examples.
__________________

__________________
estarzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:24   #153
Registered User
 
ontherocks83's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201
Posts: 1,592
Re: Oceanis 485 steering failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Research again, i mean if the boat sport the same structure, FG tube , top resting in the ply partitions with plexus, then is a candidate for modifications , repair.

I do some work in few Oceanis, from a 50 to a 40 ft, single rudder , they have the same config, unless Beneteau is doing diferent with the double rudder designs, the problem is still there....

Now ask yourself how many cruisers out there are aware of this problem..
This is definitely getting added to my list of things to check before I buy another boat.
__________________
-Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
-Molon Labe
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 07:27   #154
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,109
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Oceanis 485 steering failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
Well . . .

Probably pretty clear now where the source of the water was. The bottom of the tube cracked entirely around.

Probably happened because the plywood upper bearing tray came loose and the autopilot pushed the rudder shaft and tube back and forth.

The autopilot finally going wild was probably a symptom of the plywood coming loose - pushing back and forth no longer turned the rudder, just pushed it back and forth.

The plywood coming loose was probably a combination of poor design, fatigue on the poor design from heavy charter use (probably include groundings), and inadequate maintenance/inspection. I might note in that regards, the photos show some ugly corrosion on the pump and ram - not excellent maintenance.

And yes, I do think it has been a useful discussion (1) to point out an element of bendy design that owners should pay attention to, (2) the side discussion of pumps and water inflow rates.
Lucky for them they were with company and in sheltered waters.. unlike Bluewater's experience mid-Atlantic..
__________________


"Your not drunk if you can lay on the floor without holding on..."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:22   #155
Registered User
 
transmitterdan's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: Valiant 42
Posts: 3,899
Re: Oceanis 485 steering failure

I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere but it sounds eerily similar to the sinking we have been discussing:

UPDATE: $600,000 yacht sinks off King Island | The Advocate
__________________
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 10:26   #156
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: Oceanis 485 steering failure

Yeah I posted that link in a new thread, seems to me something very similar.. Rudder problem, but in that case they hit a reef rocks...
__________________
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:19   #157
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,667
Re: Oceanis 485 steering failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Research again, i mean if the boat sport the same structure, FG tube , top resting in the ply partitions with plexus, then is a candidate for modifications , repair.

I do some work in few Oceanis, from a 50 to a 40 ft, single rudder , they have the same config, unless Beneteau is doing diferent with the double rudder designs, the problem is still there....

Now ask yourself how many cruisers out there are aware of this problem..
As I said, neither the ply structure neither the use of plexus with partial support on a ply structure of interior partitions is cause for alarm. Ply and bonding agents can be extremely strong, it is more about how it is done and about scantlings.

If you say that all Beneteaus with single rudder use this type of setup and since I seem to recall that Mark had said is Bene had not a top bearing, this set up is being used for more than a decade. That means about 20 000 benes and even if I had heard about some boats with problems it is very far to correspond to the numbers that would occur if that problem was so easely manifested as on the Oceanis 48 or the models Beneteau give orders to be reinforced by the dealers.

It continues to look to me as an inefficient design but being safe or not it will depend basically on the way it is built and calculated and I don't believe It will be the same on all the boats. Many Benes have been sailed extensively and have circumnavigated with any rudder problems.

Saying all this if I had a Bene with that system and if I would sail it extensively, I would reinforce it with the kind of additional support that was designed by Beneteau to, I believe, some models. That is a smart improvement, will not imply any modification on the previous system, just an easy to fit setup. I would also take care to see that the piece is solidly mounted. Even if the pre-existent setup was strong enough it will do not any harm to make it stronger.

But that is just me that like to have back ups. Recently when I took down the rudder of my boat, even if pretty solid I did not resist to introduce a improvement. I guess it comes with the habit of designing things and liking to see them well designed

Being mounted on plywood is not a problem since the efforts will be almost all lateral and it should not be dificult to secure the piece of plywood (where the metal piece is mounted) using plexus, laminated or even having it supported laterally, forward and backwards to the hull, stern and back bulkhead.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:25   #158
Registered User
 
Terra Nova's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marina del Rey, California
Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova
Posts: 3,604
Re: Oceanis 485 steering failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
...Being mounted on plywood is not a problem...
But mounting the top bearing to something vastly more substantial, like the deck, would have virtually eliminated these unfortunate losses.
__________________
1st rule of yachting: When a collision is unavoidable, aim for something cheap.
"whatever spare parts you bring, you'll never need"--goboatingnow
"Id rather drown than have computers take over my life."--d design
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:30   #159
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: Oceanis 485 steering failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
As I said, neither the ply structure neither the use of plexus with partial support on a ply structure of interior partitions is cause for alarm. Ply and bonding agents can be extremely strong, it is more about how it is done and about scantlings.

If you say that all Beneteaus with single rudder use this type of setup and since I seem to recall that Mark had said is Bene had not a top bearing, this set up is being used for more than a decade. That means about 20 000 benes and even if I had heard about some boats with problems it is very far to correspond to the numbers that would occur if that problem was so easely manifested as on the Oceanis 48 or the models Beneteau give orders to be reinforced by the dealers.

It continues to look to me as an inefficient design but being safe or not it will depend basically on the way it is built and calculated and I don't believe It will be the same on all the boats. Many Benes have been sailed extensively and have circumnavigated with any rudder problems.

Saying all this if I had a Bene with that system and if I would sail it extensively, I would reinforce it with the kind of additional support that was designed by Beneteau to, I believe, some models. That is a smart improvement, will not imply any modification on the previous system, just an easy to fit setup. I would also take care to see that the piece is solidly mounted. Even if the pre-existent setup was strong enough it will do not any harm to make it stronger.

But that is just me that like to have back ups. Recently when I took down the rudder of my boat, even if pretty solid I did not resist to introduce a improvement. I guess it comes with the habit of designing things and liking to see them well designed

Being mounted on plywood is not a problem since the efforts will be almost all lateral and it should not be dificult to secure the piece of plywood (where the metal piece is mounted) using plexus, laminated or even having it supported laterally, forward and backwards to the hull, stern and back bulkhead.
HAHAHA everyday I am more convinced that you are a Beneteau seller lol.
I don't waste my time answering the rest of your brilliant post Paolo.
__________________
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:31   #160
Resin Head
 
minaret's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Seattle WA
Boat: Nauticat
Posts: 7,155
Images: 52
Re: Oceanis 485 steering failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
As I said, neither the ply structure neither the use of plexus with partial support on a ply structure of interior partitions is cause for alarm. Ply and bonding agents can be extremely strong, it is more about how it is done and about scantlings.

If you say that all Beneteaus with single rudder use this type of setup and since I seem to recall that Mark had said is Bene had not a top bearing, this set up is being used for more than a decade. That means about 20 000 benes and even if I had heard about some boats with problems it is very far to correspond to the numbers that would occur if that problem was so easely manifested as on the Oceanis 48 or the models Beneteau give orders to be reinforced by the dealers.

It continues to look to me as an inefficient design but being safe or not it will depend basically on the way it is built and calculated and I don't believe It will be the same on all the boats. Many Benes have been sailed extensively and have circumnavigated with any rudder problems.

Saying all this if I had a Bene with that system and if I would sail it extensively, I would reinforce it with the kind of additional support that was designed by Beneteau to, I believe, some models. That is a smart improvement, will not imply any modification on the previous system, just an easy to fit setup. I would also take care to see that the piece is solidly mounted. Even if the pre-existent setup was strong enough it will do not any harm to make it stronger.

But that is just me that like to have back ups. Recently when I took down the rudder of my boat, even if pretty solid I did not resist to introduce a improvement. I guess it comes with the habit of designing things and liking to see them well designed

Being mounted on plywood is not a problem since the efforts will be almost all lateral and it should not be dificult to secure the piece of plywood (where the metal piece is mounted) using plexus, laminated or even having it supported laterally, forward and backwards to the hull, stern and back bulkhead.


The guys at Beneteau should give you a raise. Not very convincing, but certainly persistent.
__________________
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward,

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:34   #161
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Santa Cruz
Boat: Boatless Again
Posts: 4,214
Re: Oceanis 485 steering failure

That plywood box is just not a good design for a number of reasons.

If you are an Oceanis owner and want to see how strong your rudder support system is, you can test it very simply and easily.

1. Make arrangements with the boatyard to have a travel lift standing by with the straps in the water.

2. Motor in reverse, and get the speed up over 5 knots.

3. Let go of the helm.
__________________
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:37   #162
Registered User
 
neilpride's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: in the world
Boat: csy 44 tall rig.
Posts: 3,099
Re: Oceanis 485 steering failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
That plywood box is just not a good design for a number of reasons.

If you are an Oceanis owner and want to see how strong your rudder support system is, you can test it very simply and easily.

1. Make arrangements with the boatyard to have a travel lift standing by with the straps in the water.

2. Motor in reverse, and get the speed up over 5 knots.

3. Let go of the helm.
I bet you a Cold Pack that if you are inside of the rudder post wachting the show you can be horrified...
__________________
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:40   #163
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,667
Re: Oceanis 485 steering failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
This is definitely getting added to my list of things to check before I buy another boat.
Check also for a watertight bulkhead separated rudder area from the rest of the boat. Not very common but some production boats have them.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:42   #164
Registered User
 
ontherocks83's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Boat: Checkmate Strobe 201
Posts: 1,592
Re: Oceanis 485 steering failure

I would rather have a better design with "weaker" materials, over a shitty design that "could" be made strong with more robust materials.
__________________
-Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
-Molon Labe
ontherocks83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 11:44   #165
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,667
Re: Oceanis 485 steering failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
But mounting the top bearing to something vastly more substantial, like the deck, would have virtually eliminated these unfortunate losses.
Off course but that would also imply a stronger deck with big reinforcements on that area. The point is that even if I don't like the design in what regards efficiency and lack of accessibility to the point where the rudder passes the hull, there is no reason a system like that cannot be built strong enough.
__________________

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
oceanis, steering

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
400: Lagoon 400 Steering Cable Failure feebs Lagoon Catamarans 9 09-05-2016 03:54
For Sale: Oyster 485 (1999) located in Ipswich, UK thoreed Classifieds Archive 1 05-10-2015 00:13
Steering Failure?! Vivid Challenges 29 08-04-2014 13:59
Island Packet 485 leaking device, help to identify Bluewatercruise Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 2 06-09-2013 06:12
Island Packet 485 MikeR Monohull Sailboats 28 01-10-2009 11:40



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:19.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.