Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2013, 19:58   #1
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Oceanis 46. Good boats?

We done our cruise from the USA to AU in our Hunter Legend 40.5 Knotty Lady. She is a great boat and served as well. Regular life has settled back in, and she probably needs a new owner who will use her for what she is meant for.

Future plans are are in the making and they contain visions of the next adventure in 2016. I want a bigger, newer, faster more comfortable boat for long term live aboard. I considered a 473, but noticed the newer version, the 46 (which is actually the same size as a 473). 5 year old 46s are available for about $200K in the Med, which is where we would like toe start from. Asking price in AU is $350-380K.

EG 2008 Beneteau Oceanis 46 Sail New and Used Boats for Sale -

So does anyone know much about this model? On our cruise we noticed the 473 was probably the most common boat out there. If there were any problems we would have probably heard about them by now. All the owners I spoke to were very happy with their boats.

I wonder how the 46 compares in terms of quality? Sailboat data has the 46 weighing it at around 450kg lighter with a more sail area and a fractional rig rather than mast head. So it promises better light air performance. However this weight loss appears, somewhat concerningly to have all come from the keel weight. However the draft is listed at 1.7m, and most have a 2.1m draft so it is possible that they listed the weight of the deep keel which would normally be lighter?

I am finding it difficult to find real documentation for these boats anywhere.

BENETEAU 473 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

BENETEAU 46 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com

If you know anything about these boats, or any other suggestions please let me know.
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:53   #2
cruiser

Re: Oceanis 46. Good boats?

No one sailed one eh?
Old 04-10-2013, 03:44   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

the 473 is a great all rounder, Ive sailed a few, Not sailed the newer 46, slightly lighter boat. I allways think the three cabins in 45-47 is a bit much the big two cabins are nice.

BTW, would you Ozzies, leave us a few boats to buy in the Med.

dave
Old 04-10-2013, 04:10   #4
cruiser

I am also familiar with the older 473. The 46 has more sail, and is lighter so should be faster and the 473 is not slow! I see the 46 comes with a 2 cabin version with a large aft cabin. That would be my pick.

haha, I am not about to rush in and buy anything right now. Just considering what might happen in a few years.
Old 04-10-2013, 05:00   #5

Boat: Tartan 40
Chartered a new Oceanis 46 in BVI for a week a few years back. I was quite impressed by the quality, but i was surprised how easily it rounded up in gusts when overpowered. Seems like heeling past 25 degrees upwind and the rudder would start to lose grip. Could be I am spoiled in that regard by my attached keel, narrow transom "own" boat.
Otherwise, liveable and nicely performing. Our had the 3 cabin layout. I did like the midline sinks.
My main other complaint is common to many boats now. Since the companionway is recessed inward for the aft cabin headroom, the dodger side flaps stop nealry where the cockpit starts. So there is no nice forward corner of the cockpit inside the dodger to tuck into when it gets snotty.
I liked the lines much better than the 473.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:06   #6
cruiser

Thanks. I guess you would not know if the boat you chartered was the deep keel or not?
Old 04-10-2013, 18:35   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
Thanks. I guess you would not know if the boat you chartered was the deep keel or not?

i knew it drew over 6 feet, but less than 7. Maybe 6.5 feet? I remember this dictated our anchoring location in Anegada, and we were swinging mid harbor with less than 8 inches under the keel....
Old 04-10-2013, 19:56   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
Correction: Just checked on charter website. Still offered. Is the deep keel version. This is the one we sailed:

http://www.bviyachtcharters.com/yach...er-46-beneteau

i imagine the rounding up tendency could be countered by working harder at balancing the boat by reefing mainsail before genoa. That said, i think it is a weakness of the new generation of "broad sterned" boats, often with twin wheels. Too much rudder gets lifted out of the water when you heel upwind. benefits are all anout onboard space, but sailing ability/performance is not improved IMHO.
Old 04-10-2013, 20:25   #9
cruiser

Cheers. When we first sailed our boat in strong wind we also had the same probs. However it was just a matter of learning how to sail it correctly. As you suggest the main needs depowering before the genoa.

After we learned what to do we could sail at very high angles of heel (way higher than you would want to cruise with) without rounding up. The B46 has a tall mast and impressive sail area to displacement which wouldn't help this issue, but my philosophy is its better to have a lot of sail available as it can always be reefed. You cant add sail to an under-canvassed boat.
Old 05-10-2013, 00:19   #10
ato

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ato

I bought a 46 from 2007 last month. You will need 7-8 knots true wind to get going. The boat is spaceous and comfy, handles fine and is fun to sail. Still doing many projects, so far the electrical system is full of bugs. May be due to the previous owner trying to do some short cuts.
ato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 00:57   #11
cruiser

Thanks. 7-8K true at which sailing angle? Can you do a broad reach with this sort of wind? Are you planning on any water sailing">blue water sailing with it?
Old 05-10-2013, 02:19   #12

Boat: Baltic 38DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I allways think the three cabins in 45-47 is a bit much the big two cabins are nice.
Not to mention the 3 heads... What a waste of space for a cruiser. (Not your advertised boat OP, but you can get them in that config). 3 cabins is still a large waste of space IMHO. For cruising you want stowage so you'll convert that 3rd cabin eventually anyway...

Onno
JazzyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:15   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post

Correction: Just checked on charter website. Still offered. Is the deep keel version. This is the one we sailed:

http://www.bviyachtcharters.com/yach...er-46-beneteau

i imagine the rounding up tendency could be countered by working harder at balancing the boat by reefing mainsail before genoa. That said, i think it is a weakness of the new generation of "broad sterned" boats, often with twin wheels. Too much rudder gets lifted out of the water when you heel upwind. benefits are all anout onboard space, but sailing ability/performance is not improved IMHO.
Its more to do with the asymmetrical profile when heeled, rather then rudder issues , ( well maybe no rudder could handle the weather helm). When you have a flat aft , canoe body with virtually no rocker. You get a lot of weather helm with those profiles. Sail them flat , (faster) its one of those things

Dave
Old 05-10-2013, 06:35   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post

Its more to do with the asymmetrical profile when heeled, rather then rudder issues , ( well maybe no rudder could handle the weather helm). When you have a flat aft , canoe body with virtually no rocker. You get a lot of weather helm with those profiles. Sail them flat , (faster) its one of those things

Dave
That's true. You can feel the assymetry when heeling and the boat seems to nosedive some.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the boat for a charter- I just think the boat feels weird when heeling some, which means anytime you're sailing upwind.

For me, when the time is right to spend 200+K on a boat, I will probably be looking at some more moderate designs in the used market which have more of the handling I am used to. Used Hylas, Bristol, Passport, etc. eg
Old 05-10-2013, 07:39   #15
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

I compared the 2 cabin versions of both and have been on a number of 473's.

The 2 cabin 473 has a HUGE and I mean really quite substantial lazarette that opens from the galley walk thru , and out into the cockpit.

For long range cruising its wonderful!

The 46 2 cabin has a huuuuuggggeeeee aft cabin that I love but at the cost of the huuugggeeee lazarette.

Thats what it comes down to.

If I was buying now I would buy the most up to date I could.... so that means the 46. But I would always pine after that lazarrette.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oceanis