Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 07:47   #16
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post

That's true. You can feel the assymetry when heeling and the boat seems to nosedive some.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the boat for a charter- I just think the boat feels weird when heeling some, which means anytime you're sailing upwind.

For me, when the time is right to spend 200+K on a boat, I will probably be looking at some more moderate designs in the used market which have more of the handling I am used to. Used Hylas, Bristol, Passport, etc. eg
I think its more a design concept decision then a abnormality. Many people today have been brought up on that type of hull and that's what they buy.

On balance its offers good turn of speed, good downhill dynamics , good pointing etc as long as you reset the traditional thinking a bit

Dave
Old 05-10-2013, 16:22   #17
cruiser

Boat: Cowther 43 - Hunter 40.5
Re: Oceanis 46. Good boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I think its more a design concept decision then a abnormality. Many people today have been brought up on that type of hull and that's what they buy.

On balance its offers good turn of speed, good downhill dynamics , good pointing etc as long as you reset the traditional thinking a bit

Dave
Thats right Dave. I am used to this kind of hull and its compromises suit me fine. Which makes it a good choice for me but maybe not everyone.

Mark. The huge lazarett is great to have. I want to fully self sufficient for diving. I did not like the master birth in the 473 being up the front. I prefer it in the back. I would not be that worried about the 2 or 3 cabin version personally. Each have their benefits. We plan to live in this for over 5 years and kids might be involved, which would make the 3 cabins usual negatives become a positive. Plus even if we don't have visitors/kids one of the cabins can become a great workshop/storage room and wet locker.

Will we get insurance for double handed sailing with this boat?
dennisail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 03:46   #18
ato

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 46 2007
Send a message via Skype™ to ato
Re: Oceanis 46. Good boats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisail View Post
Thanks. 7-8K true at which sailing angle? Can you do a broad reach with this sort of wind? Are you planning on any water sailing">blue water sailing with it?
if you go close hauled to beam reach it'll be fine. broad reach 120 degrees ...hmmm... you'll just go very slow, around 3knots unless you have an asym. we are doing coastal cruising only.
ato is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oceanis