Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2009, 07:16   #16

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
...Don, if you are married, have a chic, or are in the hunt for a chic or marriage or even a meaningless fling, may I sugest to you that you will get more loving with 2 heads. A week with no head just won't be appreciated.

I read somewhere that men taking women to sea has had more influence on boat design than any other influence over the past 50 years.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 13:25   #17

Boat: a sailing boat
2 heads if guests b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 13:34   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS 2005 'Amoreena'
Send a message via Skype™ to Tidetracker
I've owned two boats that have had two heads: a Catalina C400 (1996-2002), and now a Jeanneau 43DS (2005-). Of the two, the Jeanneau has a better two-head solution... and it actually makes sense.

The 'main' head, accessible from both the aft owner's cabin as well as the salon, is generously sized, and has a very generous stall shower with glass door... a big guy like me can take a comfortable shower in it.

The forward head, accessible from the forward stateroom (v-berth) only, is admittedly tiny.... but it's a worthwhile addition. It gives the guests who normally occupy the v-berth a modicum of privacy... and it's always nice to have a spare head in case the main one gets clogged at an inopportune time. Admittedly, the forward head compartment is so narrow, that for a big guy, it's possible to sit... but not wipe! but one can accomplish the task, one way or another.

In short, I'm glad there are two heads on my 43' boat.
Tidetracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 14:06   #19
CLOD

Boat: none
Well I will agree that **** happens and heads clog up. But really now if your head clogs on a routine basis you need to make some changes (to the head or you). The head on my current boat is an electric/grinder unit that has been out of production for quite a while and it works great (I did rebuild it this year due to a filling problem only to find there was nothing wrong with the head, it was the manual water valve leaking). And even though our head is good size I would still like just a like more elbow room. And as far as guests go; just like at home I love to have them, but I don't want them to get too comfortable. I like vistors not roomies! My current condo has 2 bathrooms, the only time 1 is used is to go pee when watching TV.

I think I still like the 1 head/more other space idea better. If some time down the line I have to break out the bucket for a while to pay for having full time use of the space it seems a small price. But seems that enough love the 2 head thing and I guess than is why they build them.

PS - Mark I've been married for 28 years (to the same women even) and never have been denied because we needed more bathrooms/heads. Maybe you need to talk to Nic :-)
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 14:23   #20

Boat: Dudley Dix aluminum 43'
I used to think that one head was perfect and indeed lived aboard for three years with one head when I was single. When we had our present boat (aluminum 43' centre cockpit) built, I was of the same mindset however did not get far with my wife with this line of argument. If you sail often with women, children and guests you will appreciate two heads. An old salt once told me that one of the worst disasters at sea (just short of sinking?) is head failure. We have occasionally had some sort of problem with one or other of our (Lavac) heads and the redundancy in this department has lowered the stress levels aboard. It still bugs me though.
Namoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 15:11   #21

With minimal visitors one head would certainly be enough. Better yet, one head and one separate shower...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 15:21   #22
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
That is what the rail is for! Or buckets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Moondancer View Post
Fifteen years ago we crossed the Gulf Stream in 10 ft seas; one head, four guys and a large lady. Halfway over due to excessive vertical pressure and horizontal shear we became four guys, a bucket, a large lady and at last two guys providing support . Since then I have always bought or chartered boats with two heads.
These threads are always as noisy and useful as anchoring threads. Not useful.

Clearly a houses had one head when we grew up. Then bigger was better. Our current house has 3 and we only really use 1.

Sailing is not living in a house. Those who believe it is will never enjoy it. It is damp, hot, cold, bouncy, boring, exciting, frustrating, and rewarding.

Go for space, perhaps a good reading chair with a lamp that is just right. Much better.
Old 17-09-2009, 15:49   #23

Boat: a sailing boat
Ough. Do they really clog up so often?

Ours never clogged - we had to replace some parts twice in 6 years of use. And this from the lowest shelf product - an RM69 manual.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 16:45   #24

Boat: CT54
We currently have one head as the toilet in the forward head was removed by the previous owner and the seacock glassed over.
I too worry about the one head we have (very reliable so far) going out at some inconvenient time. We have also found at times we have filled up our holding tank and for some reason or another can't get to a pump out which means we get to go to shore to use the facilities on land
My thought is to put in a porta potty in the forward head as it would not only serve as a backup to our Tecma in case of a repair problem but also we could use it if we are unable to get to the pump out or there is no pump out available.
Jackie
jackiepitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 17:03   #25

Boat: Tartan 27' - 'Odalisque'
Some Beneteau 505's come with 4 staterooms and 4 heads. I guess these were largely made for the charter market. One of the problems with this model is that Beneteau used bladder type tanks, 1 for each head; each tank buried behind the headliner. A fellow I know bought a recent model of this model boat. Currently, 3 out of the 4 heads are insane on his boat.
I think there is a problem with too many heads from a design/functionality standpoint. I also like the idea of a commode seat mounted off the stern rail - fun for all in the cock pit!
CalebD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 18:35   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post

PS - Mark I've been married for 28 years (to the same women even) and never have been denied because we needed more bathrooms/heads. Maybe you need to talk to Nic :-)
We are not married yet. You have obviously trained yours very well. Can you send me an Instruction Manual? Cash by PayPal ok?

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 19:13   #27
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Some wise old prophet once said: "Two heads are better than One"

I agree, if you have the space
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2009, 22:30   #28

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
- - It is almost a required minimum on 40+ft boats to have two heads. If you are a cruising couple then one for each of you. If you are a really "bonded" couple then one head for you two and the other head for all the stuff that is too large to get into a locker or bilge compartment. There are never enough handing lockers so guess where the excess large stuff is stored - fwd head.
- - Visitors coming - unpack the junk out of the forward head and make them use that one. That way when they leave you with a clogged/jammed head you still have your own that still operates.
-- The "other head" is that spare closet/room/storage shed that is essential to harmonious living.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 00:47   #29
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Well, one head or the other will be better on a different tack, or a different sea.

2 heads are an absolute requirement for many reasons... but what may be the most frivilous reason: I enjoy have different spaces on the boat to live in.

We often sleep in different cabins or at sea on the collapsed Saloon Table.
On a 40 footer for 5 or so years all the diferent choices are bliss.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2009, 12:21   #30
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Our usage is
Aft head 90%
Forward head 10%

but when you gotta go.....you gotta go.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote