Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2007, 08:15   #1

Question Now what?

We're back from our boat hunting trip and it appears that we fell in love with the wrong boat...a 1975 41' Islander Freeport in great condition. I read what ya'll have said about the Islanders, but... will the bigger engine help?

Engine recently replaced with rebuilt 100 hp Nissan Chrysler diesel
New roller furling, fresh water pump, battery charger, princess stove, 2 new heads and maserator
New GPS w/ east coast chip
electric windlass
clubfoot staysail
jib never used
other sails still crisp
Simrod autopilot
bimini & dodger like new
marine A/C
Horizon depth, speed, wind guages
6 kw generator
4 House batteries-1 dedicated for engine, 1 for generator
It is documented
Price--$64M

We looked at it twice, the guy loves the boat and hates to part with it, he spent the last year replacing what was needed but is now in a tax crunch and the wife says it has to go.

We have 6 years before retirement and plan to sail (weekends) the lower east coast-N.C. & FL and the Bahamas (vacation), usually with friends aboard. However, we had hoped for a blue water cruiser after retirement.

We looked at 14 boats! This is the only one where we agreed and fell in love upon boarding--the boat looks like it has had constant care and attention and is so clean. She will neeed a paint job and minor cosmetics but has all we wanted and more.

So now what? Do we just give up our dream boat and keep looking? Just forget using her as a blue water boat? Shuck her because of the open galley and floor plan? And most of all, should we wait and find a Tartan TOCK?

Can someone explain the real problems with big windows and the open floor plan? Would her weight not compensate for being "thrown around"?

I have pics, just don't know how to get them here!

Thanks guys, you know what a big decision this is.
Janny
Janny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:24   #2

Boat: 1962 28' Pearson Triton
I think that if the windows are made from Lexan (polycarbonate), are thick enough, and mounted right, it shouldn't be a problem. But I'm certainly no expert and have no facts to back that up. Lexan is extremely strong--it's used to make aircraft canopies.

Lexan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
1962 Pearson Triton, #318
Triton318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 08:29   #3

We use Lexan windows and windshields in racecars that take a pretty hard pounding. Its good stuff.

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:16   #4

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
If you love it and it surveys good buy it! At that price it will not depreciate much if any over the next few years. This boat will do very well for what you want now. A lot of people yearn for a "bluewater cruiser", many even buy one with the thought of sailing around the world. Most of them then end up doing the Bahamas and the Caribbean.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:04   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Janny,
If you both love it, buy it!!
Regardless of what advice you get from everyone on the forum there is no such thing as the perfect boat. The Freeport might be your perfect boat. Most folks do not go to sea with the intent of getting into a storm and watch their weather windows to make certain it isn't hurricane season.
I had friends who sailed from the Chesepeake to Australia through the Panama Canal and did the South Pacific on a Cal 2-46 which had a wide cabin and great big windows. They did just fine.
Good luck to you.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:17   #6

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Hi Janny
Is the Chrysler Nissan an SD633 ? I had one of these for 10 years on a commercial boat. One of the cheapest engines to run that I ever owned. The naturally aspirated one was 72 B.H.P. @3600 RPM. There was also a turbo that pushed 100hp. When you find what you are looking for the love affair starts. Good luck and enjoy.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:36   #7

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
Pitter-Patter Factor

When my wife and I were boat shopping at the Miami Boat Show in 2003, the dealer from whom we ended up buying our Fountaine-Pajot Belize 43' catamaran mentioned the "pitter-patter" factor. When we questioned him, he explained that it is the intangible feeling that frequently causes boat buyers to chose one vessel over another seemingly equal. Obviously, your critical factors (i.e. things you can't live without) and financial situation are unique but I have to echo everyone else's recommendation: GO FOR IT! Once you find a boat you "fall in love with", further searching is a waste of time that you could spend cruising.

I don't understand your statement, "Do we just give up our dream boat and keep looking?" Sounds to me like you may have actually found your dream boat but don't realize it yet.

What's with your question, "Just forget using her as a blue water boat?" She is certainly capable of handling anything short of a major tropical storm, which you shouldn't be sailing in anyway. I strongly recommend you use the next 6 years to enjoy this boat. By then you will know for certain if this is the one you want to take across the big pond(s).
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:19   #8

You can install storm shutters if you are worried about the large windows and you can install extra handholds below if you feel you need them. Those items should not be deal breakers.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:25   #9

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
I have large windows on my boat. Made of very thick lexan. I think the fibre glass would break before those windows would. This boat has been all over the world with the PO.
Old 01-11-2007, 13:02   #10

I sure do appreciate each and every one of your comments! I had done a search on 'Islanders' here (before having to bother y'all again) and it didn't sound favorable at all. We wanted to see a Tartan Tock but didn't get the chance.

I don't know if the windows are lexan and have no idea about the engine model--yet. If you have any ideas what to ask the owner we are all ears.
Old 01-11-2007, 13:29   #11

I think I got it! What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	130 [640x480].JPG
Views:	173
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	2028   Click image for larger version

Name:	186 [640x480].JPG
Views:	163
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	2029  

Click image for larger version

Name:	227 [640x480].JPG
Views:	177
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	2030   Click image for larger version

Name:	261 [640x480].JPG
Views:	182
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	2031  

Old 01-11-2007, 13:44   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter Legend 37.5 1993
Send a message via Skype™ to Inkwell
Good luck. Go for it. The boat reads well. The price seems more than fair. Let the survey detail out any problems. Fair Winds.
Inkwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 14:01   #13

Boat: NONE yet
I love the look of these boats as they "look" more like more like old square riggers in their hull design. I would go for it if I where you, people sail around the world in much less.
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 17:58   #14

Boat: Sceptre 41
Six years of sailing will tell you more than any forum. Looks like the cyrrent owner is taking really good care of the boat. I would buy it sail it and then decide what you want to do in five or six years. Alot can change. Price seems like alot of boat for the buck.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 18:16   #15

K, but now Ed is afraid he'll be motoring more than sailing, and he loves to sail! Would we get good sailing off the Atlantic coast (mainly FL)? We've been sailing the Gulf. We thought the C&C Landfall 39 would be good but we tried 2 models and he found them to be too structually 'loose' especially the helm and safety stantions.