Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-07-2016, 13:26   #31

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Novice looking for a 36+ to kick around in the Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfotis View Post
Preferably 35-40k
Ordinarily most folks around here advise to save a big chunk of cash for the post purchase post purchases. i.e. if boat costs 35K be sure to have 50K (or more) for purchase and other "stuff." I am one of those old school guys who likes to recommend the classics from the 60s, lots of good value there when you find a good one. Some however find them wanting for space and speed and pointing ability (though many will surprise some of the younger kids here!)... but never overlook the value of "sea-kindliness."
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 14:19   #32

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Ordinarily most folks around here advise to save a big chunk of cash for the post purchase post purchases. i.e. if boat costs 35K be sure to have 50K (or more) for purchase and other "stuff." I am one of those old school guys who likes to recommend the classics from the 60s, lots of good value there when you find a good one. Some however find them wanting for space and speed and pointing ability (though many will surprise some of the younger kids here!)... but never overlook the value of "sea-kindliness."
Full keel and a skeg hung rudder. Not likely to win any races bet track well with comfort.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 14:26   #33

Boat: Lagoon 410

He's updated the thread to reflect sold..
mfotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 20:39   #34

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
I just wanted to get some folks current opinion on a what's a decent boat if equipped to sail the East Coast and around the Caribbean. Hunter? Catalina, CS, Pearson etc etc.. I've don't some research here in the forum and it seems for every topic that says a certain boat is good for xyz there is another topic that says its not. So I'm just looking for some updated thoughts? Any on topic comments are appreciated.

Thanks

Mike
my question is why such a large boat if you are a beginner. if you stay closer to the 30' mark, it's easier to single hand or sail shorthanded plus, things get a lot more expensive as you get much past 30'.
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 20:50   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'd say if your married, get the boat She likes
that depends on who paid for the boat.

when i chopped my last bike, my girlfriend started griping about the seat and why can't i get one of those wide load seats like you see on the baggers. so, i told her: "this is my bike. if you don't like it, you can buy your own or stay home. i don't tell you what to do with your car. don't tell me what to do with my bike." ( that's word for word)

literally hundreds of thousands of miles ridden together later, i built my present chopper and she never once complained about the accommodations.

my brother would let his wife decide what boat he bought. but, then, he lets her tell him what to eat and what political views he is allowed to hold. i often wonder if she didn't make him a gelding on their wedding night.
Old 19-07-2016, 21:11   #36

Quote:
All,

Thanks for the comments, I'm actually a big fan of the Beneteau's and have already pulled two out of the water for inspection over the last 3 years to no avail. But do to a recent divorce I don't have that kind of disposable income anymore and they seem to run twice as much as say a Hunter with the same LOA. So I'm looking at some other brands and I will go with something that I think I would like and is equipped but I just don't know how all the brands compare on the seaworthy scale. For example, I like both the looks and layout of the Hunters and Catalinas but their price range is different for the same LOA and same equipment.....so which one is better, safer, better sailing....that's what I'm trying to determine.

I already tried to buy the Paradox (Never Monday's boat) I was a few hours late and he already had someone in line before me.

I already got a loan to buy the Paradox and its good for 45 days, so right now anything in the 35-40k range...could probably bump that up to the 50K range depending how big.

I'm also trying to stay between 36-40 ft as there are very few slips in the DC /VA area that can accommodate anything bigger......they exist but I needed to have rented them 5 months ago and I want to buy a boat that I can keep here so I can use it now.

i'd say a bristol channel cutter or, if you can swing it, a falmouth 34.(now, that's a sailing vessel!)

there are certain qualities you want to look for. smaller cockpits unless you just want to day sail or entertain at the marina. personally, i'd choose a well designed full keel boat. older boats tend to have thicker fiberglass and are, thus, stronger. avoid a lot of big windows. modest strongly built portholes and portlights are better. make sure the boat you chose has a good seaberth. you won't want to be sleeping in the v-berth on a passage.

island packet makes some nice cruising boats. if you are single, 27' to 32' is a great size. even if you are not, really.

google Water boats">blue water boats. that site can give you some good ideas.

i'd avoid extreme skinny deep fin/ spade rudder types. if you want a fin keel and separated rudder, i'd go with a moderate keel and a rudder protected by a sturdy skeg. never buy a boat with a lead keel bolted directly to the hull. they have been known to fall off...not a good thing.

don't buy a boat that will survive the least or the average conditions you will face. buy one that will weather the worst.

read ; 'seaworthiness: the forgotten factor". you can find it on amazon, used, for a decent price.
Old 19-07-2016, 21:35   #37

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Stay away from teak decks
Old 19-07-2016, 22:10   #38

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
All,

Thanks for the comments, I'm actually a big fan of the Beneteau's and have already pulled two out of the water for inspection over the last 3 years to no avail. But do to a recent divorce I don't have that kind of disposable income anymore and they seem to run twice as much as say a Hunter with the same LOA. So I'm looking at some other brands and I will go with something that I think I would like and is equipped but I just don't know how all the brands compare on the seaworthy scale. For example, I like both the looks and layout of the Hunters and Catalinas but their price range is different for the same LOA and same equipment.....so which one is better, safer, better sailing....that's what I'm trying to determine.

I already tried to buy the Paradox (Never Monday's boat) I was a few hours late and he already had someone in line before me.

I already got a loan to buy the Paradox and its good for 45 days, so right now anything in the 35-40k range...could probably bump that up to the 50K range depending how big.

I'm also trying to stay between 36-40 ft as there are very few slips in the DC /VA area that can accommodate anything bigger......they exist but I needed to have rented them 5 months ago and I want to buy a boat that I can keep here so I can use it now.
You mentioned Pearsons initially: Pearson 36, cutter or ketch rig, is a good cruising boat at below $50K.

Also Hunter 37 Cutter...not the typical Hunter.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2016, 23:25   #39

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 07:47   #40

Boat: Beneteau

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Get the boat YOU like and don't worry about what faceless internet people like.
Wow. A whole lotta common sense in such a short post. I like it.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 09:09   #41

Boat: Lagoon 410

Thanks for the continued feedback folks. To answer a few questions above.

I'm already training on boats between 25-30 ft and they feel small, plus it will be at least me and the new wife and possibly the kids from time to time so I want something with a bit more room. Also I want something that I can grow into over the next 5-9 years. To be honest when I retire I plan on transitioning to a cat as that's what I really want but cant afford.

I'm currently doing my best to get into a Beneteau but if that falls through I may segway into some of the other boats mentioned and pick the one with the newest refit, lowest engine hours and best equipped for what I'm looking for.
mfotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 11:06   #42

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I just wanted to get some folks current opinion on a what's a decent boat if equipped to sail the East Coast and around the Caribbean. Hunter? Catalina, CS, Pearson etc etc.. I've don't some research here in the forum and it seems for every topic that says a certain boat is good for xyz there is another topic that says its not. So I'm just looking for some updated thoughts? Any on topic comments are appreciated.

Thanks

Mike
Kick around? What is you budget? It seems like a wide open question?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 11:48   #43
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

I'm currently doing my best to get into a Beneteau but if that falls through I may segway into some of the other boats mentioned and pick the one with the newest refit, lowest engine hours and best equipped for what I'm looking for.
You know that saying "get into a Beneteau" is like saying "I want a Ford". It means little since there are so many models of Fords.

The problem with getting a first boat is deciding whether to get a "starter", which could be a large boat as I started with a 39', and wasting the money you spend on buying it, selling it, and maintaining it. But the problem with trying to get the boat "you think you want" is that till you have had a boat and spent time on it you don't really know what you what in a boat.

The absolute worst thing is to get a boat based on old books and internet forums (full of people who read old books).That boat is almost sure to not be what you what.

Which gets you back to posts 2,3,and 4.
Old 21-07-2016, 14:12   #44

Quote:

Thanks

Mike
We found our shallow draft catalina 42 to be easy to sail, a great liveaboard (roomy) and perfect for the shallows you often see in the carrib. sorry to say, ours is now for sale in the Rio Dulce of Guatemala dur to health issues.
mpperic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, novice, rib