Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2016, 21:53   #1

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38
Nova Scotia v. the Saint John River Valley, NB

This summer I'm planning to sail from New York to Canada and back. On my old boat I sailed to Downeast Maine and the Bay of Fundy several times. I tried once to reach the St. John River Valley but got delayed and didn't make it that far, which was probably for the best in that little boat.

I now have a more capable vessel and I'm planning on heading back to those parts. I plan on spending about two weeks in Canada before clearing customs back into Lubec, Maine. It would be great to finally go through the Reversing Falls and explore the St. John River maybe as far as Grand Lake, but then again I'm also very interested in making a passage from Nantucket to Nova Scotia and exploring that coastline a bit. I don't think I have time for both. I think the St John River would be a unique and serene experience, whereas Nova Scotia would mean more time offshore and more places that are totally new to me.

If you're familiar with these areas, where would you choose to spend your cruising time? Any special recommendations? Thanks for your input!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 03:37   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Nova Scotia v. the Saint John River Valley, NB

An area of the world that I have only visited by land unfortunately. BUT if the reverse view is half as good as what I saw from shore, I think it would be fabulous! Definitely on my bucket list of cruises.
Old 13-11-2016, 03:47   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Haven't done the Bay of Fundy, but did the Nova Scotia coast. I'd vote for that--lots of gunkholing between Shelburne and Mahone bay--I wouldn't go further than that if time was short--but you could spend an entire summer just exploring Mahone and St Margaret's bays. There's a post or two about that cost in my blog archives: zartmancruising.com takes you there.

Ben Zartman
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 04:19   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

The Bras d'Or Lakes region of Nova Scotia is beautiful.

Old 13-11-2016, 08:45   #5
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

good thread - has anybody reading gone all the way round NS and NL to sail down the St Lawrence Seaway?
Old 13-11-2016, 09:11   #6

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

My two favorites are Lunenberg (Mahon) and Bra d'Or.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 09:15   #7

Boat: Endeavour 42

Being from Halifax I'm a little biased in my view. The south coast of Nova Scotia is spectacular with more places to explore than you will ever have time for. Mahone Bay is not to be missed.
courish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 09:40   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
This summer I'm planning to sail from New York to Canada and back. On my old boat I sailed to Downeast Maine and the Bay of Fundy several times. I tried once to reach the St. John River Valley but got delayed and didn't make it that far, which was probably for the best in that little boat.

I now have a more capable vessel and I'm planning on heading back to those parts. I plan on spending about two weeks in Canada before clearing customs back into Lubec, Maine. It would be great to finally go through the Reversing Falls and explore the St. John River maybe as far as Grand Lake, but then again I'm also very interested in making a passage from Nantucket to Nova Scotia and exploring that coastline a bit. I don't think I have time for both. I think the St John River would be a unique and serene experience, whereas Nova Scotia would mean more time offshore and more places that are totally new to me.

If you're familiar with these areas, where would you choose to spend your cruising time? Any special recommendations? Thanks for your input!
Getting to St. John from Maine can be challenging (as you may recall), along an exposed coast, but definitely an adventure. St. John River is beautiful, pastoral, sheltered, serene.

Otoh, the south coast of NS west of Halifax, is more like a colder, foggier version of Maine, with lots of warm and sheltered gunkholes separated by cold, exposed day trips. Plus you'll have an offshore passage to get there.

Both wonderful adventures, hard to choose between them. We
arthur.watson.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 10:22   #9

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Join this Public facebook group. Check the "Files" for useful info re cruising Atlantic Canada.

Cheers/ Len

https://www.facebook.com/groups/268778300122540/
Old 13-11-2016, 14:17   #10

Boat: Little Harbor 38

We have done both and they are both great. Doing the St John is not that challenging, just time your trip in the Grand Manan Chanel to the tides. We did Roque, Grand Manan, left there a hour before tides changed and sailed right to the falls and thru.

The Maritimes are also great. You could spend a whole summer south of Halifax or North of there. I would do that before the Gulf of St. Lawerence.
Safari38LH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 14:26   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symphony View Post
good thread - has anybody reading gone all the way round NS and NL to sail down the St Lawrence Seaway?
Yes, We did a counterclockwise circumnavigation of New England and the Canadian Maritimes starting in Newport, RI, around NL, up the St Lawrence to Sorel-Tracy, then down to NY via Lake Champlain and the various canals connecting to the Hudson, and back across Long Island Sound to Newport. My blog, zartmancruising.com (which I mentioned several posts ago), has that whole story, with pictures. Also you can read about it in three installments in Cruising World Magazine.
A lovely trip, but next time I'll do it clockwise....
Ben Zartman
Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 15:17   #12

Boat: Seawind 1190 sport

I've only seen the St John from land, not water but I can't imagine you'd be disappointed if you chose to go there, the river and surrounding landscape are beautiful.

With respect to Nova Scotia, I'd suggest you do a few stops on the south shore, then head to St. Peters and go through the canal into the Bras d'Or. Leave the cold, fog, and seas behind and enjoy the warm water and incredible scenery. No crowds, and all the secluded anchorages you could ever want. The village of Baddeck is a great stop. check out this cruising guide http://cruising-cape-breton.info/
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2016, 18:22   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur.watson.1 View Post
Getting to St. John from Maine can be challenging (as you may recall), along an exposed coast, but definitely an adventure. St. John River is beautiful, pastoral, sheltered, serene.

Otoh, the south coast of NS west of Halifax, is more like a colder, foggier version of Maine, with lots of warm and sheltered gunkholes separated by cold, exposed day trips. Plus you'll have an offshore passage to get there.

Both wonderful adventures, hard to choose between them. We
Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Join this Public facebook group. Check the "Files" for useful info re cruising Atlantic Canada.

Cheers/ Len

https://www.facebook.com/groups/268778300122540/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari38LH View Post
We have done both and they are both great. Doing the St John is not that challenging, just time your trip in the Grand Manan Chanel to the tides. We did Roque, Grand Manan, left there a hour before tides changed and sailed right to the falls and thru.

The Maritimes are also great. You could spend a whole summer south of Halifax or North of there. I would do that before the Gulf of St. Lawerence.

3 great posts. I suppose we are all a bit biased. I grew up sailing on the St. John and Kennebecasis Rivers and I'm not sure there is a better cruising ground on the eastern seaboard. You will find hamlets and villages and local sailors, and much peace and quiet, but some narrower upwind legs as you approach Grand Lake. It is far warmer and less foggy than the seacoast as I suspect you know. I have also lived and sailed out of Mahone Bay, Lunenburg, and Halifax, and love the first two. That coast is very similar to the Maine coast past Winter Harbor and is a great coastal area with larger towns, lots of fishing boats, netting and lobster pots. There is much more to see and do ashore, and restaurants nearby, unlike on the N.B. river system, which is lightly populated past Saint John (if you exclude the cows).

The Bras D'Or Lakes are also wonderful, but a stretch further, and since you don't mention them I wont comment on them. For a different trip, really.

The two areas you mention are so different it is hard to compare the two- they are both wonderful cruising areas, it just depends on what you are looking for from this trip.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 03:35   #14
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

The St Johns area is very nice, but my choice would be the south coast of NS. Mahone Bay, Lunenburg, Halifax. All very beautiful, with friendly folks. I love Canadians.

Kayaking on St Margaret's Bay was a real treat...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Me Kayaking in Nova Scotia.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	413.5 KB
ID:	136155  
Old 14-11-2016, 06:49   #15

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
The Bras d'Or Lakes region of Nova Scotia is beautiful.

I second this. Have been up to the Bras d'Or lakes a few times now from land. One thing on my bucket list is to enter the "Race the Cape" race that happens every year. Here is a link.

Race The Cape – Sydney Nova Scotia Canada
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nova scotia