Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2018, 03:54   #1

Not Secure???

This website comes up as "Not Secure" on my compute. Anyone else have this problem
roberttigar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 03:58   #2

Re: Not Secure???

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberttigar View Post
This website comes up as "Not Secure" on my compute. Anyone else have this problem
Its been that way for a while but chrome/firefox is now calling it out. FOr a number of years SSL encrypted web sites would have a little lock on secure sites. Now they specially call out sites that dont use SSL encryption and https URL's.

Now it doesnt mean the site itself is secure. It means that anything you type or is set to you is being sent over the internet in plain text. So any message you post, any message you read, even private PM could be read by anyone along the path of your internet connection.

The internet push is to have all sites using encryption. For a "fourm" its not a big issue but anyplace you put private info or do any payments should be avoided if the site is shown as not secure.
Old 28-09-2018, 07:01   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i receive that message many times with different websites, and facebook. when i receive it i start over. sometimes that works. sometimes i have to do something else fro a while. it is usually cleared within a few minuets..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 21:25   #4

I have not had this problem on CF but I did on another forum and didnt post for 6 months after joining the forum. Finally went to a computer repair shop and they said to try a different browser. I have used firefox for years but I tried google chrome and it solved the problem. Try something different and see what happens. Good Luck. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 07:38   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
I have not had this problem on CF but I did on another forum and didnt post for 6 months after joining the forum. Finally went to a computer repair shop and they said to try a different browser. I have used firefox for years but I tried google chrome and it solved the problem. Try something different and see what happens. Good Luck. ____Grant.
Moving to a new browser isnt going to fix the issue. The issue is with the site, not the browser. Moving to a different browser just hides the issue. Its also going to eventually show up on all browsers when you upgrade the browser. Right now Chrome, Chromium both show not secure on my machine. Firefox doesnt say not secure on the url but has a little (i) icon. If you click on that it will say not secure. What i suspect is the site is using an older certificate and that has either expired or was part of a recent rejected from several certificate providers due to poor security practices. Google and others have banned those certificates.

as long as your not putting private info into any thing related to this web site your ok. It doesnt mean the site is insecure. Just the communication between you and the site is not encrypted.
Old 29-09-2018, 08:00   #6

What Gary said. "insecure" just means not encrypted.

CF (hopefully) isn't where you expose your financial info or other important information; your login simply confirms that you're you.

I highly recommend having one or more "low-priority" passwords to use on forums and other non-critical sites, and for each of your important logins (bank, insurance, medical etc) a different, unique and complex password. So anyone gaining your forum password can't use it for anything important.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote