Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2014, 19:47   #1

north pacific crossing

Ok so I am looking to buy my first boat. I am looking at a 31 foot sloop. My question is, In the future (maybe 10 years) I would love to sail to the philippines with my wife, her home city is davao. I have read alot about just how bad or dangerous route it is. I am looking for opinions and comment or suggestions anyone has on this. Thanks for the time. Oh and if I could what would be a good sturdy boat for something like this. I have been on comercial fishing boats but have never sailed and am going to take lessons next month and a cruise and learn after that, so all the extra info I can get the better.

Larry
Larryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2014, 20:13   #2

Boat: Mariner 40 Ketch
Re: north pacific crossing

Hello Larry, welcome to CF.

We are planning the same trip next year and will be taking the Southern trade-winds route via San Diego, then across to the Marshall Islands and continuing to Davao Philippines. Just need to be careful to watch for typhoons
My wife is also filipina so we will be based in the Philippines.

We have gotten a lot of good advice through the fellow yachties here on CF who have done this already.
Also there is a group here you can join.

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Boats & Sailing in The Philippines

If you are around Puget Sound you are welcome to come sailing with us

Rob and Sonia Leighton
Old 21-04-2014, 23:35   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Another AmFil family here heading to PI. I'll be leaving SF this Nov. and plan to be in Cebu before May, the start of typhoon season.

Just a few suggestions. I understand dreams are what life is made of but you need to know the risks. Saturate yourself in information. You'll never know enough to be satisfied but it's good that you have some fishing boat experience. But sailing is a different ball of wax.

If your going on a 7000+ mile TransPac your going to need a little more then a 31' boat. It'll need to be a quality boat. As well as some off shore time on that boat. You'll need at the very least 3 qts of drinking water per day. Enough food to get you to each port along the way. A motor that is in very good condition and set up properly for rough weather. Sails that are off shore rated and good rigging to hold them. And the list goes on and on.

Has you wife been sailing in a rough sea? It could be a deal breaker. My wife is flying over.

As for boats there is a lot of info here on the forum that gives the pros and cons. Just do an internal search for off shore boats.
And welcome to the forum.
Saka Na!
Old 22-04-2014, 04:13   #4

I enjoy and appreciate the feed back. I guess I should explain a little further. I am buying a 31 foot to learn on and cut my teeth. I dont plan on a journey of this size for many years. Going to learn in and around Vancouver Island first. I am going to do extensive research before hand and make sure I am confident and able to complete a journey of this size safely. As of right now it is a DREAM and it is a dream I am going to act on and asking questions here is my first step. Thank you all and please all the feed back the better

Larry
Larryh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
north pacific