Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2008, 10:26   #1

Boat: Looking
Nor'Sea 27 as Liveaboard ?

We're thinking of selling the house and dividing our time between our 2007 Airstream and and the Nor-Sea 27'. What attracts us to the Nor-Sea is the advantage of storing the boat when not in use on a trailer and the ability to take it almost anywhere. We are just starting out learning to sail so I'd like to get some opinions of this plan.
Jack
Craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 10:50   #2

Nothing wrong with the plan in principle (unless you're planning on towing the boat and Airstream at the same time . Nor-Sea 27s have circumnavigated, so obviously you can live on them. Whether you or someone else will be comfortable living on a boat of this size with whatever ammenities she supports is purely a personal issue. Some people would like it, some wouldn't.
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 12:49   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Off hand I would say the Nor-Sea 27 would not be a good choice but it is in fact quite the large 27 ft boat. Living aboard is more about holding a whole lot of stuff. You really have to live life on the edge to pull this one off. More power to you for thinking you can. having a warehouse some p[lace close would make it close to possible.

A basic rule of thumb for spartan living for two people cruising will need 3 tons of stuff. That includes fuel, water, provisions and any gear not 100% attached to the boat. It's not an easy formula to make work and 3 tons already is pretty darn spartan. Possible is only one dimension the other is enjoying it. It is all supposed to be fun.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 12:58   #4

Jack,

Well, we sure think it can be done!

We moved aboard our Nor'Sea 27 in 1996. We have been on her ever since, even without an Airstream.
For a batch of years we worked, now we are cruising.

You might want to review our WEB pages.

Greg
Delezynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2008, 13:54   #5

Greg, Your web pages are exactly what originally got me thinking about the Nor-Sea. I've read just about everything that I could find on the Internet about the Nor-Sea and I'm really am attracted to this boat. Our Airstream is only 25' that includes the A -frame, so 23' living space. That's what makes me think it will work. It's always helpful to get feedback from those who have been there and done it.
Old 22-06-2008, 14:11   #6

Nor'Sea living

Jack,

Thanks for taking the time read our pages. It's good to know that some one does!

The Nor'Sea 27 IS a great boat! She is VERY strong and takes us any place we want to go. We have some good friends Ellen and Ed sail around the world in their NorSea 27 Entr'acte who sailed across the Atlantic a number of times, and came through the canal last year. They are now in the South Pacific.

And, you are very correct in that the Nor'Sea is very cost effective when NOT sailing! You can park it in your back yard!

Have you joined the Yahoo Nor'Sea group? A lot of info there.

If you have any specific questions, just drop us a PM.

Greg
Old 24-08-2008, 07:15   #7

Boat: I have been from 8' sabot to a 65' Ketch. I am over the Norsea 27 and looking for 50'+
A good book would be The Voyage of the Kristina by Wayne Carpenter. He and his family of 5 not only finished the boat from a bare hull, but cruised her full time for a few years!
Tropicyachty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 07:38   #8

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
We liveaboard a Saugeen Witch and will next month be entering our fifth year. When we stop liking it, we will stop doing it. One has to be brutal in deciding what one cannot live without, and what may be shared with others so that the stuff that cannot be taken aboard has a useful life elsewhere. it is rather nice that when we travel our home is with us.
Fair Winds
Witchcraft
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 10:42   #9

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
I've always loved pocket cruisers like the Norsea 27 and the Westsail 28. They are awesome cruising yachts that can take you anywhere you want to sail in the world. I particularly like the Norsea 27 because it is trailerable which opens up a whole new world of possible adventures.

I prefer a minimalist lifestyle, and my happiest times are when I live in an unencumbered manner. I can happily camp in the desert for weeks at a time in my Land Rover Defenders, or put my anchor down in paradise and enjoy living on a small yacht.

If you can live in a small airstream, I think you can live in a Norsea 27 without a problem. It's all about what your expectations are and what you want from your life.

One of my favorite quotes is from Bertrand Russel: "It is the preoccupation with possesions, more than anything else, that prevents men from living freely and nobly." That's the way things work in my life.

The more stuff I have in my life, the worse I feel. When I overcome my addiction to things, I am truely free.

Go for the Norsea 27.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2008, 17:57   #10

Thanks for the helpful replies. The fact that the Norsea is trailerable is a big attraction as well as I just like the lines of the boat. Dave, I also love Land Rovers and had the good fortune of working for Land Rover North America for a number of years supervising the construction of land Rover Centre's from Chicago to Tampa.The year before going in the field I trained as a Range Rover Tech including training at the factory in the U.K. I also build a Series 111 88" Station Wagon from the ground up. Not a restoration but essentially a new vehicle using all new parts even though production ended in 1985.
Old 24-08-2008, 18:47   #11

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craftsman View Post
Thanks for the helpful replies. The fact that the Norsea is trailerable is a big attraction as well as I just like the lines of the boat. Dave, I also love Land Rovers and had the good fortune of working for Land Rover North America for a number of years supervising the construction of land Rover Centre's from Chicago to Tampa.The year before going in the field I trained as a Range Rover Tech including training at the factory in the U.K. I also build a Series 111 88" Station Wagon from the ground up. Not a restoration but essentially a new vehicle using all new parts even though production ended in 1985.
I have had five Defender Land Rovers. I had three Defender 110s when I worked in Saudi Arabia (but not all at the same time), and I still have one Defender 110 in New Zealand, and one Defender Crew Cab 130 in Australia. They are one of the most awesome expeditionary vehicles in the world. Some day I hope to drive one or both of those Defenders from Cape Town To Cairo, and from Buenas Aires to Alaska. I am considering making them into a convoy around the world for my last big land adventure. I am piling up my Freedom Chips, and I'm not sure whether my next trip will be in Exit Only or by Defender.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Firewood-rover[1].jpg
Views:	932
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	4815

Click image for larger version

Name:	Burgundy-Rover-One[1].jpg
Views:	944
Size:	129.5 KB
ID:	4816

The Burgundy Defender is stored in New Zealand, and although the picture doesn't show it, it has a full length roof rack, a bonnet mounted tire carrier, and is fully customized for expeditionary travel. It's ready to go. All it needs is me and my wife. The white Defender is stored in Australia, and it's already to go. The picture shows it kitted out for travel in the outback of OZ.

Everything is still on hold in our lives for the time being. I just turned sixty, and I'm raring to go for another adventure.

As always, I have too many dreams, too little money, and not enough time.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 09:34   #12

Boat: B24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delezynski View Post

I think theirs was the first sailing video I ever bought (not sure – may have been Buckley’s transatlantic video; both about the same time...). Wasn’t sold on that size boat back in the 80s – living on an Irwin 42’ – but have changed my tune a tad since then… still have their VHS – dug around in some boxes and unearthed it over the weekend…
Old 25-08-2008, 09:46   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstrng View Post
I think theirs was the first sailing video I ever bought (not sure – may have been Buckley’s transatlantic video; both about the same time...). Wasn’t sold on that size boat back in the 80s – living on an Irwin 42’ – but have changed my tune a tad since then… still have their VHS – dug around in some boxes and unearthed it over the weekend…

We had a copy of the VHS also. Before I bought Guenevere, I called and talked to them. We have been in contact ever since then. We have a copy of the DVD on board even now.

I LOVE the part about him being chased down the beach, and then you find out what the chaise was about!!!!!

Greg
Old 25-08-2008, 11:29   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
The aft cabin on the NorSea seems to be a joke. Is it really usable or does it just turn into a large lazarette?? They did make an aft cockpit deck for the NorSea which is a much better design to my thinking.

Aloha
Peter O.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2008, 12:20   #15

Boat: 44 footer
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxingout View Post
As always, I have too many dreams, too little money, and not enough time.
Wise words!

I really the Nor-Sea 27. Came close to buying one a few years ago... except for the lack of Freedom Chips. (Well said Maxingout!)
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, nor'sea