Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2013, 18:09   #1

Boat: Islander 36
Nordic 44 or Lafitte 44?

My wife and I are selling our boat to buy one more comfortable for cruising the Sea of Cortez for 2-5 years and who knows where after that. I've read whats available on the Nordic 44 and Lafitte 44 and really love both of them. Bob Perry really designed some incredible boats. I'd really like to hear what you all think about these two boats, particularly how they compare to each other. Thanks for your help.
D-Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 16:33   #2

Boat: 1979 Hughes 35
I'm going to buy me a Nordic 44 some day........maybe when the economy collapses?

Deep draft with lots of performance, hard not to like a boat that can really sail. Perfect for PNW
Old 30-08-2013, 16:41   #3

Re: Nordic 44 or Lafitte 44?

Friends had the Lafitte. Cool boat, but felt really "deep cave" inside the cabin... tall ladders and that wierd dual companionway setup. I swear Kareem Adul Jabbar could stand fine in that boat! The other thing is many came with extensive teak decks. If I remember right more of the Nordics had treadmaster deck inserts...? I've been on one, but not sailed with... But feel like I prefer the Nordic... you might like a Hylas type also... or a Norsemann 447. The Nordic leaning more toward a racer than the others I suppose...short fin keel etc...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 17:04   #4

Boat: Nassau 42 SV Ceol Mor

If you are looking at Nordics and Lafittes, you might want to take a look at a Nassau/Tatoosh. Also a Perry boat and with many of the same attributes. Very similar in many regards though I think a little better set up below.
Mimsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 17:10   #5

Boat: Islander 36

The Lafitte I had in mind had the teak decks removed and done over with fiberglass very professionally. I really want to stay away from teak decks. Has anyone here been on board the Nordic 44 in Bellingham? It's been for sale a long time and I know you guys are boat fanatics.
D-Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 18:15   #6

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

I recall a quote attributed to Bob Perry in a candid moment. It went something like "the Lafitte 44 wasn't one of my better efforts". It is just a weird boat.

The Nordic 44 OTOH is a solid, heavy duty cruiser.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 15:27   #7

Boat: Lafitte 44

Lafitte:
Yes, the cabin layout is different from others. I like the central companion way when at the dock, or on hook. It is great for loading in groceries and such. She likes it windy. She does not point like a J-Boat.. but then she was not mean to. Solid tough boat, even if dj doesn't think so. PM me and I can give you my brief history and things I would look out for.

This is mine starting the Texas Race week. First time to take her out of the bay and into the gulf... ok honestly the first time I got to actually SAIL her. Bought her with a broken boom =( but easily replaced and worth the discount

Old 04-09-2013, 08:56   #8

It's all about what you like. The Lafitte is a little wierd. But if you like it ... cool!

Old 04-09-2013, 09:13   #9

Boat: Lafitte 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
It's all about what you like. The Lafitte is a little wierd. But if you like it ... cool!
people say I am a bit weird too, maybe boats and owners are like pets and owners =P
Old 04-09-2013, 09:22   #10

I always loved the look of the Lafitte on the outside. Traditional double ender stern and flush-ish deck type of thing.
Once I'd been on my friends boats a few times I liked it less, interior just felt "clutzy" to me,, and very cave-ish. But... I've migrated my likes toward a lot of light on boat's interiors over the years. "spoiled by a catamaran"

Tags
nordic, paracelle