Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-05-2018, 12:37   #16

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter
Re: Non-hydraulic auto pilot suggestions

A friend had an old AP fail on his Union 36. The large motor, geared to the rudder, was still in good shape. He attached a Pelagic AP to it and it worked well heading south. For about $700 it is a bargain solution; it is very sophisticated internally but has a simple user interface.
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 12:45   #17

Boat: no boat any more

do I understand that correctly: the Pelagic needs, for underdeck, direct actuation of the rudder/quadrant, a drive from another brand, theirs is just a tiller drive...
Old 17-05-2018, 12:52   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Hi all:
I have a 1973 Morgan OI 41 that does not have hydraulic steering. I’d like to add autopilot for an upcoming cruise so I can do away with the current bungee cord autopilot. Does anyone have suggestions or recommendations regarding brands or install? Thanks much!

Cheers,
Paul
Paul the most effective route might depend on the electronics you already might have, like brand x chartplotter
Old 17-05-2018, 12:57   #19

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I would direct you to CPT wheel pilot. I have had one for six years and love it! Strong and quiet. They also have phenomenal customer service.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2018, 13:31   #20

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
do I understand that correctly: the Pelagic needs, for underdeck, direct actuation of the rudder/quadrant, a drive from another brand, theirs is just a tiller drive...
Yes. Brian sells a complete package with tiller drive, and just the controls on their own (and the tiller drive on its own for those with other APs needing new drives).

It is common practice to buy the drive separately from the controller, although usually from the same supplier. There are independent suppliers of rotary and linear drives which work well with controllers from others (e.g. Octopus | Octopus Autopilot Drive Systems). Of course the controller outputs need to be adequate for the motor load, and provide clutch power if used.

One of the great advantages of the Pelagic is that it doesn't integrate with the other electronics on a boat, other than an optional wind instrument. It just steers very accurately. For those who embrace KISS...

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 09:25   #21

Boat: 1973 Morgan OI 41'

Thank you guys so much! As always, your knowledge is unsurpassed. I’m looking at the various systems now and will let you know what I end up with.

Cheers,

Paul
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 10:41   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Hi all:
I have a 1973 Morgan OI 41 that does not have hydraulic steering. I’d like to add autopilot for an upcoming cruise so I can do away with the current bungee cord autopilot. Does anyone have suggestions or recommendations regarding brands or install? Thanks much!

Cheers,
Paul
Just because you don't have hydraulic steering doesn't mean you can't have a hydraulic pilot. The gold standard for these is Hy Pro, which are stencil branded Raymarine, Furuno, etc. They are much cheaper if you buy them directly or through one of their dealers like JGTech rather than through Ray or Furuno. They are remarkably compact and powerful. The ram attaches easily to most quadrants. See: https://www.hypro.co.uk/products/hyd...ering-systems/.

You might also think about an electric rotary drive like the Jefa. They make a number of different hydraulic-less pilots, like this one: https://www.jefa.com/steering/produc...ves/direct.htm. I've never used one, but I've heard great things about them. There's something to be said for being even simpler than a hydraulic drive, but on the other hand, they look like the would be more difficult to find space for and mount.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2018, 11:55   #23

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowpoke View Post
I have been very pleased with my Alpha 3000 unit for some 30 years now.
Linear actuator. One end attached to the hull with the other driving a lever arm attached to the rudder shaft and has a manual disconnect for normal hand steering.
Installation was a little tricky as the lever arm had to be bored at an angle since the rudder post is not perpendicular to the waterline.
Has done a great job of steering in some large following seas. Certainly steers a much better course than I can by hand.
Company is based somewhere in the north west.
Good luck on your quest.
Alpha is teetering on the edge of viability given that they have not updated their products in years. A modern autopilot from B&G, Raymarine, Garmin etc. will steer the boat much better than the Alpha brain, and has far more options when integrated with an MFD.

That said, the Alpha ram is great and is very miserly on power. Part of that comes from it using a considerably longer tiller arm than the usual 8-10" on the above mentioned pilots. It literally runs on 18 gauge wires which is pretty amazing. However, it can be difficult to fit as a result.

Also, the Alpha stuff is about as reliable as it gets. Mine lasted 32 years before it gave up the ghost.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote