Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2015, 10:23   #16

Re: Nimble Arctic 26

I think the MacGregor is a nice boat for the right user but I don't think that I am the right user. My boating is a little too aggressive for the design.

Rig, thanks for your first hand account. I'm noticing your observations via the nimble seem to be in line with other comments, not really up for the mid-shore demands I demand.

I am aware of several of the other designs you mentioned, most are beyond my means, except possibly the flicka, which I think is a very sexy boat.
I was specifically interested in the Nimble because I was approached about a possible trade. I'm not willing to be boat less at this time of year, so liquidating FamilyVan while I shop isn't an option I'd consider.

The more a research, I begin to wonder if the FamilyVan is in fact the best boat for me, because she's mine and I know what she's capable of, or more importantly, she's never shown me what she isn't capable of (except pointing well).

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 12:32   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 51.1

Have you considered the Seaward RK26?

These boats have a real fin-bulb keel that lifts electrically on an angle to come up ahead of the mast. They're the only trailer able boat of their size that I would consider to be mid-shore capable. They trailer well albeit not as easily as the nimble, and their lifting keel allows for shoal use.

Size-wise the interior is more spacious than a nimble, but less than a MacGregor--certainly suitable for two adults and two kids but not much more. Very nice interiors.

When I got a new one quoted in 2011, they were in the 60..70k range.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mstrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 07:22   #18

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Family,
There's one other consideration if your contemplating a trailerable boat: the time factor--Time to hook up the boat to your vehicle(is it stored at home or in a yard?), time to trailer the boat, time to launch the boat, time to store/park the trailer, time to step the mast, time to tune the rigging, time to rig your sails, time, time, time. If you're not sailing for a few days or more, it's a lot of time for a daysail. Many people forget about this aspect when buying a trailerable boat, but I can assure you they won't forget it once they own one. Good luck and good sailing.
Old 17-08-2015, 08:27   #19

Thanks for the tip Rog, my first boat was a 17' trailer sailor, and as you suggest, rigging got old quick and I ended up leaving it in its trailer at a boat yard mast up and only derigging for the winter and occasional trailering to new locations, but only for longer trips.

My brother currently has an A22 he intended to trailer. Guess what? He keeps it in the water rigged, only derigs it once a year for storage.

Imagine if their was a perfect solution to boat ownership? Sails well, trailers well, sea worthy, big enough for dancing and sleeping for a couple dozen guests, cheap, easy?

Sent from my XP7700 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 22:07   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Nimble Arctic, 26

Hi, Been sailing in a Nimble Arctic- fixed keel now four seasons in the San Juans WA. interesting boat. Takes light to moderate weather and have been out in some very bad riptides in heavy wind under sail- I'd say 6 ft chop- green water over the bow etc. I'd do that again but not with the family aboard. With the family, we stay in when the warnings are flying.

To enjoy this boat, The rudder must be replaced. I talked to the designer- T Brewer about the rudder- The barn door was not designed by him and has been no end of problems. I designed a new blade with 2.5 ft of draft, and 1.3 ft fore-aft about 25 balanced. I instantly stopped hitting the docks in marinas- it answers very well to a much lighter helm. Mine is a yawl- the mizzen is not useful- ever. Thought at least it would keep the boat in the wind at anchor- nope. Even so, the boat could use more sail area without becoming tippy. This boat is stiff due to the heavy keel and hard chines. I've sailed in 25 kts without reefing pointing pretty well and with nice acceleration off wind. It's not a racer though- its a nice stately cruiser. If I want to be challenged sailing, I sail a thistle or Intl 14.

We anchored on a rogue sand bank that had taken over some deep water on the chart - Roche Harbor- we woke up hard aground. This boat leans over about 30 degrees and takes to the water gently without more than 4 inches of water over the bootstripe- never reached the sink drain which was bunged just in case. Should not have worried.

Hardware is top notch- all bronze fittings, stainless rigging etc. The aluminum windows in the pilothouse are a necessary evil in a production pilothouse but they work and seal well in my case. The pilothouse is very welcome in the pacific northwest. The sun can be unrelenting in the summer and the cold and rain is equally nasty off season. A very comfortable refuge once you get it setup with instrumentation and seating, coffee brewing etc. It's also helpful on a boat with a well-mounted outboard. Very pleasant under power with the doors closed. At first the fumes from the motor were unbearable in the cockpit and I don't know how anybody puts up with it. The Yamaha 9.9 exhausts above the waterline when speeds are under 10 kts and this boat cruises at 4.5. I screwed a galvanized pipe to the exhaust and ran the pee tube to a fitting in the pipe for cooling. A 1" rubber marine exhaust tube now transports the fowl stench of exhaust to a bronze thru-hull a foot above the waterline. It's quieter, no smell and passers-by all assume its an inboard. This fix also saved the boat for us.

BTW, max speed ith the 9.9 is 6 kts which verifies the hull speed theory once again, but handling is squirmy above 5 kts even with the new rudder so we just enjoy playing games with the tides. Under sail it has briefly gone over 6 kts without handling problems.

Under power it does pound into a chop or wakes, both of which abound in these waters. Not the powerboat back-breaking thing but a thump more audible than physical.

We cruise weekends and some yearly week-long trips with my wife, and 12-year old daughter and usually a friend. As she grows we'll need to trade up. Not because of size but privacy.

Overall I am happy with the boat and will be sad to let her go. Hope that helps anybody thinking about one. Not for everyone but worked for us.
Electric Paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2017, 02:15   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

ELECTRIC PADDLE,

Welcome Aboard CF!

Excellent first post and review. Thanks for sharing your experience with the Nimble.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 20:47   #22
Marine Service Provider

Season end cruise report:

Our Nimble arctic is slated to come out of the water this weekend to spend the winter aboard her trailer on Lopez Island. We had a few nice weekends aboard but mostly we were getting ready to launch our EPcarry dinghy outboard, which is now shipping! Still, those weekends were great! we figured out how to ride the swirl for a lift up the San Juan channel against the tides, and had enough wind to mostly sail. Also headed out to the straights once in a blow and turned back- not due to fear but it is a 26 ft boat and we had to find an anchorage for the grilling operations in a few hours. We saw whales again- dolphins and a humpback. The boat has been such a great escape and we love the pilothouse. The new 30 watt solar panel kept our battery in good shape all season and the old Yamaha 9.9 is still chugging. Sad to get her out of the water now but it's time. Not sure yet if we'll continue to sail the Nimble next season because our 13 year old still wants a more private head. If anybody is intrigued by the prospect of owning this amazing little boat, let me know. She has good karma.
Old 12-11-2017, 19:16   #23

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Electric Paddle
by chance came across your posting on your Nimble 26,I own a Nimble Vagabond 20,had it for a few years now and I know most sailing versions run an auxiliary outboard 9.9 hp.
Mine came with a Honda 50 more likely because is the trawler version,always feel is very overpower but cannot find what other options owners have tried,the Nimble forum is not very active and actually never got an answer.
The excess power is not in itself an issue for me but does limit the cruising range,burning about 1.3 to 1.5 gallons an hour,and there is so many fuel tanks to carry.
I have been tempted to downsize to may be an 15 hp however the 50 Honda is almost new.
Hope you read this will like your comments.
David
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 22:21   #24
Marine Service Provider

Hi D, Thanks for letting me know about the 20- I was unaware they made this boat. Looks very nice. These are not fast boats, but they are comfortable leisurely cruisers that are themselves a destination, rather than being a vehicle to a destination.

Just saw a youtube video from a manufacturer of propane motors. Showed 4 people on an inflatable going semi-displacement speeds. Nobody was talking, nobody was listening. It was too noisy. They were all just holding on with smiles that didn't reach down very far.

The Nimble is a leisurely displacement design that spends longer times traveling the same distance. Seems to make sense that time should be spent in the most comfortable way possible, and that also allows you to hear the wind, or when a porpoise surfaces or a bird lands.

Personally, If I had your boat, and were keeping it, I'd be looking into slowing down to hull speed and moving to electric. There are lots more options now. And you can always convert a gas motor to save $ if you're handy and a little geeky. In ten years it'll be really easy but its still a new idea and right now it will take more effort and $ but its right for some people even at this early phase. If you're not ready for that journey- keep the 50 and wait. There are good things coming.

Hope that helps.

J
Old 15-11-2017, 06:00   #25

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

thank you very much for your thoughts.
This boat was a nice choice at a time my wife's health became an issue and provided for a more protective and safe environment while still she enjoyed "going out to the water".
Over the years I modified it and converted the trawler configuration to "motorsailer" by adding a mast and a set of sails.This must be the only Vagabond sporting sails!!!
I guess I know am sort of "stuck" with the motor as it is now,that is fine.
take care.
David
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 13:54   #26

Boat: Nimble 24 Tropical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electric Paddle View Post

To enjoy this boat, The rudder must be replaced. I talked to the designer- T Brewer about the rudder- The barn door was not designed by him and has been no end of problems. I designed a new blade with 2.5 ft of draft, and 1.3 ft fore-aft about 25 balanced. I instantly stopped hitting the docks in marinas- it answers very well to a much lighter helm.
Hello Electric Paddle!
Just did a search for "Nimble Sailboat Rudder" and your post popped up.
I picked up a Nimble 24 Tropical a few months back and found the same with the rudder. After talking to a few owners I was able to get a hand drawn design for a modification and over the past couple of weeks have modified mine.
Smearing bottom paint on it now (boat lives in the water).
Do you have any pictures of yours? I kept the shallow draft as here in Sunny Florida we have lot's of "skinny water".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	my modified rudder sm.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	175097  
merlinuxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 15:00   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinuxo View Post
Hello Electric Paddle!
Just did a search for "Nimble Sailboat Rudder" and your post popped up.
I picked up a Nimble 24 Tropical a few months back and found the same with the rudder. After talking to a few owners I was able to get a hand drawn design for a modification and over the past couple of weeks have modified mine.

I briefly considered adding the Nimble Arctic to my short list of desirable boats, but that rudder put me right off. Glad to hear I'm not alone in thinking that. Might have to reconsider now...
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 16:02   #28

I researched these a few years back when I thought I might buy one. The one downside IIRC, is the outboard well fills with water while motoring... true?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 16:19   #29

Boat: Nimble 24 Tropical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I researched these a few years back when I thought I might buy one. The one downside IIRC, is the outboard well fills with water while motoring... true?
Note that I've noticed. Only been out 3 times and the motor has a table over it.
I'll check this weekend and let you know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00p0p_kmvrNAIryae_1200x900.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	175099  
merlinuxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 13:43   #30

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Cute boat how does it sail?

Tags