Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2018, 09:45   #1

Boat: 1978 Philbrooks Fast Passage 39
Nicholson 31 or Westsail 32?

From the topsides, the Nicholson 31 and Westsail 32 seem quite different, but below the water, they are much more similar. Both are well regarded in the book "20 small sailboats to take you anywhere"...

Anyway, after about 6 months of looking, a '75 Westsail 32 (owner finished, one owner, in good shape), and a '76 Nicholson 31 are at the top of my list.

I've been looking for something suitable for a cruising couple (with occasional guests), starting out cruising in the BC Gulf Islands and Inside Passage. Eventually, I would like to cruise down the coast, to the South Pacific, the Caribbean, etc. My wife grew up on power boats, so a solid sailboat (so as not to scare her too much) is essential. Both of these boats seem to fit the bill.

The Westsail could probably sail tomorrow with minimal work (although it may have a leaking fuel tank, which I understand is a big job). Asking ~$40K CAD/32K USD, which is a bit beyond my budget, so doesn't leave much room for upgrades.

The Nicholson 31 will need to be hauled out for 1-3 months for new interior, good cleaning, possibility an engine rebuild (all of which I am comfortable doing). Asking price $10K CAD/7K USD

Pros for the Westsail - a much more popular boat around here, parts are available, a bit more space inside, cutter rig.
Cons for the Westsail - smaller cockpit, no quarter berth, interior ok, but dated.

Pros for the Nicholson - less teak to maintain on deck, cheaper moorage at 32' LOA, price leaves more $$ for upgrades, I can upgrade it how I want.
Cons for the Nicholson - rare boat so may be hard to find parts, needs lots of work (reflected in price), doesn't seem to be many weaknesses otherwise.

Interested in hearing from other Nicholson and Westsail owners, as I am about to make an offer on the N31 (may not be in the running as another offer is already on the table).

Thanks
sgwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:58   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Nicholson 31 or Westsail 32?

The Nicholson is a great boat for ocean sailing but a much smaller than the W32. Will probably do better with windward and light air sailing. The N32 was the #1 boat on our short list until we discovered the Westsail.

The W32 is an unsanforized 40' boat. Overall length is north of 40' and loaded displacement over 20,000#. With beam carried well forward and aft and small cockpit, the interior volume is much more than you'd expect in 32'. We lived aboard and cruised in ours for 4 years and found it very comfortable for the two of us, our Labrador and cat plus an occasional guest. We stowed enough food and supplies on board to go half a year without re-provisioning. Only thing it lacked was stowage for large object like a bicycle.

Fuel tankage was 70 gallons in two tanks IIRC. For us, we'd have done fine with one tank and using the other tank space for stowage. You might think about just not using the tank that has problems. The cockpit sole is removable but you'd have to pull the engine to get the engine out. Not that big a job with a come along and a beam over the companionway to set it on the cabin sole to get at the tank. Have done it solo in a few hours.

The achilles heal of the W32 is sailing to windward in light air and a chop. Does fine in open ocean long swells but a short chop with little wind will stop it dead. Having said that, we made faster passages than any other boat near our water line. We averaged 118nm day on the Walker log for over 10,000 miles with almost no engine usage, had only 500 hours on the engine after 10 years.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
The Nicholson is a great boat for ocean sailing but a much smaller than the W32. Will probably do better with windward and light air sailing. The N32 was the #1 boat on our short list until we discovered the Westsail.

The W32 is an unsanforized 40' boat. Overall length is north of 40' and loaded displacement over 20,000#. With beam carried well forward and aft and small cockpit, the interior volume is much more than you'd expect in 32'. We lived aboard and cruised in ours for 4 years and found it very comfortable for the two of us, our Labrador and cat plus an occasional guest. We stowed enough food and supplies on board to go half a year without re-provisioning. Only thing it lacked was stowage for large object like a bicycle.

Fuel tankage was 70 gallons in two tanks IIRC. For us, we'd have done fine with one tank and using the other tank space for stowage. You might think about just not using the tank that has problems. The cockpit sole is removable but you'd have to pull the engine to get the engine out. Not that big a job with a come along and a beam over the companionway. Have done it solo in a few hours.

The achilles heal of the W32 is sailing to windward in light air and a chop. Does fine in open ocean long swells but a short chop with little wind will stop it dead. Having said that, we made faster passages than any other boat near our water line. We averaged 118nm day on the Walker log for over 10,000 miles with almost no engine usage, had only 500 hours on the engine after 10 years.
Unsanforized... there's a term I've not heard applied to boats!

During the summer, we do get a fair amount of light/unpredictable air and short chop (BC Gulf Islands), so I suspect we'd be motoring a fair bit, at least that is what many people have told me. If the tank is leaking, I'd probably just replace it, and maybe take the opportunity to check over the engine seals, etc while it's out. But at the price they're asking, I can't afford to spend too much, which is why the N31 is so attractive.

I've actually just written an offer on the N31, and I should know in a few days if it will be considered. If not, I will have to think more about the W32. I really like the idea of a local, one owner boat, but this is also a first boat for us, so I don't want to blow the budget all at once.

I see you now have a P35. Why did you sell the W32?
Old 11-12-2018, 11:21   #4

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

I've always loved the look of the Westsail 32. If I was taking the plunge, I'd go all out on the dream. Classic look for me.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:50   #5

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I really like the Nicholson 31 but they are prone to severe blistering.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 14:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I really like the Nicholson 31 but they are prone to severe blistering.
I have read about this but not found much detail. If my offer is accepted, I'll see what the survey reveals...

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2018, 15:14   #7

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Be careful of who surveys the boat. A local surveyor is hesitant to disclose serious flaws because he won't get broker referrals and will be labeled as a deal breaker. An out of area surveyor is best. If the boat is in the water, be there when it is hauled out for the survey. If it is blistered you will see them easily. After the boat is out of the water for a little while, the blisters shrink and you may not see them without close inspection.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:29   #8

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Everyone with a Westsail 32 knows it's not a speed demon, but it is generally acknowledged as bulletproof, surprisingly commodious and comfortable in a seaway. There is still a huge community of W32 owners out there, some of whom have done some wild mods to the basic layout. So if you need to get home at a walking pace, it's a reasonable choice. It also seems to be nearly indestructable. Also, if this isn't an endorsement of a "get you home" boat, I don't know what is: Westsail Owners Association - Satori - Perfect Storm the whole story
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:50   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I wouldn't worry about spares for the Nic, most of the parts you will be replacing will be off the shelf parts that any yacht more than a few years old will need, like loo pipes, windows, tanks, rigging and sails etc. You might need a metric set of spanners though.

I would choose the boat that you will be comfortable living on board, because you will. A decent cockpit with some shade from the sun (or rain for those in the UK) is an asset. How big are the berths. Have you laid down on them? Can you shower in the heads or is it the size of cupboard with no room?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:01   #10

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Personally, I don't think you would be going wrong with the Nicholsen. It is not quite as large as the W32, but you already know that and it is evidently satisfactory for your needs. I wouldn't worry too much about parts availability. Very few replaceable parts on a cruising sailboat are made by the builder. I suspect parts availability for the two boats is about the same. To say the W32 "is not a speed demon" is being kind. I spent a summer sailing a W28. It took a gale to get it moving (and most say the 28 is the quicker boat). The N31 is basically a Folkboat design and that design has served many people well and made many long passages. You don't seem afraid of an engine rebuild or interior refit. You may get yourself a heck of a bargain.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:20   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgwright View Post
Unsanforized... there's a term I've not heard applied to boats!

I see you now have a P35. Why did you sell the W32?
We bought a power away W32 Kit in 1974. Launched it a year later of full 24/12/365 work slowy moving aboard as interior areas were finished. Cruised SoCal for a year getting ready for the jump off south. Did a year cruising mostly the Marquesas, Tuamotus and Moorea. Headed north on our way to Seattle after wife came down with our first born. Dropped the hook in Kona for a brief stay but never left. Life intervened, making a living, raising kids, etc. got in the way and wasn't using the boat much so sold it in '84. Next owner sailed it to SoPac twice. Next owner has used it as a sailing charter. Boat still in Kona.

You didn't mention the engine in the boat. Assume it's not the original. We had the 25hp Volvo MD2 with a two bladed prop which worked fine for us. Most were built with the Perkins 4-107 or the MD3B Volvo which better meet current thinking and you can pull water skiers.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:39   #12

Boat: Westsail 28

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/ha...olson-32-mk-x1

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/westsail-32

Two different boats IMO , the N31 is a light weight even compared to our W28 . So I think it all comes down to the boat you like . A few things to ponder the W32 is maintenance heavy as far as the outside wood . The W32 could be ready to go in one day ? The N31 needs a lot of work plus a new engine ? I think you will far out price the N31 with the work required .
Don't let your reality check bounce if 40K CAD is going to tap you out , you might be better off looking at different boats .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:59   #13

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwesti View Post
The W32 could be ready to go in one day ?
Going to take more than one day to repair or replace a leaking fuel tank . Not to mention the inevitable costs of whatever refittings and upgrades the boat will need. I agree with you that the OP needs to be careful about setting aside enough money for maintenance and upgrades for whatever boat he decides on.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:11   #14

My impression is the Nicholson is a much smaller boat. I have been on both, but not sailed the Nicholson, probably a better sailor to weather. In the end, you use what you like. The WS is beamier, much heavier and has 3.5 ft more waterline.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 11:26   #15

Boat: Shannon 38

I have been on but never sailed the West sail 32 and it is an undeniably well made hull and deck with the remaining features largely dependent on whether it was purchased fully built or as a kit. Here in the Caribbean, I have frequently heard the boat referred to as a wet snail in that it is very slow to weather. From 1992 until 1999, I owned a 1980 Camper Nicholson that was 31 feet long, sailed like a dream and was bulletproof. It may not be the same model you are looking at in that it had more winches than I had any idea what to do with and I maintained but otherwise ignored all but 6 of them. The owner before me was a sailing professional in the BVIs and raced it successfully. From my wife's perspective, the interior was spartan: quarter berth and nav table to starboard opposite a gimbaled 2 burner butane stove and rudimentary ice box to port; facing single berths and small berths outside and above with a drop table made up the salon. There was a walk through head with toilet to Starboard and sink to port with pipe berths forward.
I was thrilled to sail her in any weather but largely did so alone or with one or two of my sons because the creature comforts were not sufficient to entice my wife to join us for more than a day sail.
You are looking at two very well built boats but they are in all other ways vastly dissimilar.
Good luck
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail