Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2008, 19:24   #1

Newport vs. Hunter...another what to buy post!

I tried searching through the forums and was having trouble finding relevant info, especially on the Newport. I am getting a first boat and just looked at a 1985 28' Newport MkII, as well as a 1987 Hunter 26'. Both boats were in excellent shape from what I can tell and I am struggling to make a choice.

I would really like to hear from people who have experience with one or both of these boats, especially in terms of build quality, ease of sailing, etc. Obviously, I will be getting a survey done on whichever I ultimately decide on, but I was hoping to get some basic ideas on which boat people prefer and why.

Thanks in advance for everyone being so helpful!

Chris
CCantagallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2008, 21:47   #2
R&B

Boat: 39 Privilege catamaran
Hey Chris
I owned a Newport30 MkII for several year and did lots of coastal cruising with her....construction was very good...with the exception of a few cosmetic things....Sailed like a dream...very forgiving...Not 100% on the 28's qualities but from talking around it was very compatable to the 30...I dont have any first hand knowledge on the hunter..But..I heard there were some quaility issues due to them being produced more rapidlly....(I only heard this over the years)....I later had some of these type issues with an irwin we bought.....But that said there are very few thing that cannot be corrected.....We also had an atomic 4 engine in ours...That needed most of my attention...nothing out of control but it was fairly needy...Good luck I am sure which ever one you pick will give you year of happiness...
R&B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 02:27   #3

Boat: newport30, Blues Traveler
same as the post above I have the newport 30 markII. I find it very easy to sail and after 30 years the hull is still in great shape and is only now looking like it could do with a new repaint over the old gelcoat. I have had it in some terrible weather and find it has come thru great.
viking69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 11:41   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Chris,

Definitely Newport. Ask some of the folks on the forum specifically about hull blisters. I saw one hauled one time with pox every 6 inches or so. It was a 27 or 28. If that problem is inherent with the Newport then I'd certainly have the boat hauled and double check.
It might just have been that one boat.

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 12:10   #5

I am starting to lean towards the Newport as well. As for hull blisters, I have only seen the boat out of the water, so I was able to check out the hull. There were no blisters on it and it seemed like it had been well taken care of. There was one area where it looked like a blister might have been repaired in the past, but certainly nothing major.

Chris
CCantagallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2008, 19:58   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Chris,
Sounds very good.
Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter