Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2015, 12:39   #76

Re: Newer boat vs older in same price range

Those boats are so different that you might want to consider some that are between the two.

Is performance something you're interested in? An attractive boat? Do you care less about those two, but want a lot of space?

Do you want something with character that people ask you about, or do you a boat that may be identical to another one in your anchorage, but that comes with a community?
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 12:49   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
Those boats are so different that you might want to consider some that are between the two.
I can't speak for OP, but there are few boats in the 35'-45' range which meet my budget - these might be the only two which are underpriced.
Strolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 13:11   #78

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strolls View Post
I can't speak for OP, but there are few boats in the 35'-45' range which meet my budget - these might be the only two which are underpriced.

So tell us your budget and we will fill your inbox with ideas of boats that are within your budget.....
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 13:44   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Fling View Post
So tell us your budget and we will fill your inbox with ideas of boats that are within your budget.....
Previous listings:I remain uncertain if I'm wise to be looking at steel boats, but the conclusion I've come to is that at this price bracket I get limited choice.

I can afford a smaller boat, or a mangy one, but if I want a good, tidy, well maintained boat over (say) 37' then I think the selection at this price bracket is small.
Strolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 14:05   #80

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
Which is all well and good as long as you have a crew of mechanics in an SUV following you to fix the Ferrari by the side of the road so you can get it back to the shop....for more work.
The Hinckleys are beautiful boats, well built, beautiful joinery, classic lines, but are what they are, expensive works of art which may or may not be suited to modern cruising needs. For someone to get on the water for a price you can do a lot better on other makes for the same money. Of course if your in that league where money is no object, go for it, I'm not in that league financially but do see a lot of them in our home waters. Mostly as expensive weekenders or day sailors.
By the way, have you seen Hinckleys latest offering? Sure doesn't look like your dad's Hinckley, more modern racer boy than traditional classic.
I've owned a 1960 Porsche but never an old Ferrari. However, I do love them & from what I know about them do not believe they are unreliable. In fact just the opposite. Regarding Hinckleys, I'm not sure why they would be any more expensive to maintain than any other similar size & age sailboat unless you're just talking about maintaining the teak. Hinckley & Ferrari both represent the best quality products of their type. In fact I can't think of a better built or higher quality production boat built anywhere. I'm not sure how that's a negative.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 15:54   #81

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strolls View Post
Previous listings: I remain uncertain if I'm wise to be looking at steel boats, but the conclusion I've come to is that at this price bracket I get limited choice.

I can afford a smaller boat, or a mangy one, but if I want a good, tidy, well maintained boat over (say) 37' then I think the selection at this price bracket is small.
It is better to go small and get out on the water than to be stranded ashore with a head full of dreams of something bigger.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 17:42   #82

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I would buy the Hinkley in a heartbeat. Never cared for IP interiors. Exteriors of the IP's just don't do it for me. It's a decision of the heart as both are probably competent offshore cruisers. Hinkleys just make my pulse race, always have. They are stunningly beautiful.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 17:59   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
It is better to go small and get out on the water than to be stranded ashore with a head full of dreams of something bigger.
Said the guy with the 50 footer. Have to admit though, that Brewer cutter is pretty sweet.
Old 30-12-2015, 18:05   #84

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

WELL WHATDOYOUKNOW this lovely blue boat that anchored beside us IS A HINKLEY.......it looks much bigger than a Hinckley Bermuda 40 MK III Yawl BUT she is for sure a Yawl in a nice dark blue with windows (difficult to see in the pictures) in her topsides......mibee someone can say what model she is? obviously tomorrowdays I will ask the owners.

Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 19:31   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
Said the guy with the 50 footer. Have to admit though, that Brewer cutter is pretty sweet.
Savoir is right though, Scout.

Right now, my boat budget is almost non-existent. For my budget to be really useful, will take about another 3 years.

Going with it now means old and cheap, and maintenance and upgrades being a continuous process as the funds come in.

Luckily, I have every confidence in old fibreglass, having had a lot of surprising (to me) hands on experiences with it. Years ago I had read of fibreglass boats running into coral reefs at cruising speed during the night, to be pulled off in daylight, with no damage (yeah right, thought me, pull the other one . . . ).

Well I had a similar, if not worse experience, with a mid 1960's boat, going up an estuary at 6+ knots through the water, with a flood tide under us, when the guy on the tiller turned onto the rocks because a marker buoy had sunk (the last one, marking the sharp turn to starboard, so he turned at the one prior that was a starboard channel marker). The standing ringing sang at an increasing pitch with the impact, the mast sprung forward. and instead of hitting full astern, the guy on the tiller kept going onto more rocks, until we regained the channel.

Believe me, my head was in the hatch looking for water flooding in.

Well we waited for the tide to go out to inspect the damage, and there was a flake of gel coat off the keel as big as my thumb nail (which I repaired at the same time).

The same boat had its mooring fail (a huge mooring buried in the estuary bottom, and the force was so high, the whole mooring lifted out) in a massive blow one night, and the boat slammed into the concrete approach to the road bridge over the estuary at high speed, and at low water the following morning, it was sat on the concrete at such a crazy angle, I was wondering if the poor thing would sink as we tried to tow it off at high tide. A thorough inspection revealed a small scratch in the gel coat at the bow, just under the pulpit (more gel coat repair paste sorted that rapidly).

With my dinghy pulling, and a friends dinghy pulling, the two of us managed to pull it off the ramp.

So yeah, I'm not too worried about buying something old and cheap, and I may not even bother getting anything different in a few years time.

One thing I will not do though, is have any boat with balsa or foam coring in the hull . . . No way Jose.

I'm not that keen on having anything with bolt on keels either. I'd be ok with sensible interior mouldings, but I'd have to have a very close look at a specific boat first, before deciding.

I freely admit I am biased that way, but that's how it is staying.

PS. The catalogue of essential repairs that Donna Lang had to do to her 28′ Southern Cross, to make it fit for sea, should be a sobering education for anybody.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 19:49   #86

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highland Fling View Post
WELL WHATDOYOUKNOW this lovely blue boat that anchored beside us IS A HINKLEY.......it looks much bigger than a Hinckley Bermuda 40 MK III Yawl BUT she is for sure a Yawl in a nice dark blue with windows (difficult to see in the pictures) in her topsides......mibee someone can say what model she is? obviously tomorrowdays I will ask the owners.
It's a beaut, she's a Hinckley H-48. One in MD for sale. Wonder where they put the dinghy? Might be the smallest 48ft'er ever made, narrow, no cabin trunk and low freeboard. Check out the pics.

1972 Hinckley H-48 Yawl Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 20:08   #87

Boat: Tartan 37

One of the prettiest is the H-41, faster than the B-40 with the deep draft. Even on the hard she looks good and ready to roll. Looks good for 50 years old and haven cross the Atlantic twice.

My dad use to say, "If you're going to go slow, you need to look groovy". Don't think that would be a problem here.

Here is the new Hinckley Bermuda-50.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 20:58   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
I know better than anyone having spent 2 years stuck at a dock on my 50 footer fixing broken boat bits.
Old 30-12-2015, 21:14   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
It's a beaut, she's a Hinckley H-48. One in MD for sale. Wonder where they put the dinghy? Might be the smallest 48ft'er ever made, narrow, no cabin trunk and low freeboard. Check out the pics.

1972 Hinckley H-48 Yawl Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
I mentioned in another post that Hinckleys are overpriced and here is a good example. You can get a Swan 48 for less.
1972 Nautor Swan 48 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I'll take the Swan.
Old 31-12-2015, 05:13   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
I mentioned in another post that Hinckleys are overpriced and here is a good example. You can get a Swan 48 for less.
1972 Nautor Swan 48 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I'll take the Swan.
When you say overpriced do you mean that the asking prices are unrealistic. If so you would need list price / sale price statistics to back that up. If you mean that their market value is too high that's a contradiction. The market dictates what something is worth. If you mean that they sell for more than you would be willing to pay for them that does not mean they are "overpriced".

I love Porsches but I drive a Miata. I paid 30k for my 2 seater convertible. A Porsche Boxter sells for $60,000. My car does everything that the Porsche does. The proof that I would not pay $60,000 for the Porsche is that I did not. Does that mean that the Porsche is overpriced?

Tags
price