Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2015, 07:41   #106

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC
Re: Newer boat vs older in same price range

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeofreilly57 View Post
Too many Buffy's in my neck of the woods, they tend to be a little, uhm, cold, that is until they see your bank account, and then it's only until it becomes a joint account.
I opted for a real sailing girl, she checked out the trim of my boat before she gave me the once over. Wasn't just interested in the bank account, I definitely made the right choice.
Oh, and the boats great too.
All joking aside, Hinckleys are beautiful, quality built boats, made by craftsmen with pride in their product. They just don't fit my needs, or budget.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 07:57   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
My Miata does everything a Porsche does, just slower.
I've had both, and I can verify that the Porsche can do things that other cars can't do. You're right, though, it mostly has to do with speed and curves. A bit of a waste on public roads, though.

I agree with you in principle. They serve essentially the same purpose regarding transportation.

It's similar with boats. Some boats point higher than others. The ones that don't will still get there, it's just that the other boats may have found their anchorage and be finishing their drinks and appetizers when you arrive. In the case of long passages, there may be hours or days of difference.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 08:32   #108

Boat: Scout 30

Although I appreciate Hinckleys for what they are I actually stopped being a fan when they sued to own the rights to Picnic. I still think that was pathetic.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 08:53   #109

Boat: shopping

love the car analogies. I currently own a Porsche boxster S, a jeep wrangle as my everyday driver and a Aston martin DB7 as "the dress up car". All things said I like the jeep the best as it fills most of all my needs. That's why I like the IP, the BD7 owner in me likes the Hinckley.
icedog11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 08:59   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedog11 View Post
love the car analogies. I currently own a Porsche boxster S, a jeep wrangle as my everyday driver and a Aston martin DB7 as "the dress up car". All things said I like the jeep the best as it fills most of all my needs. That's why I like the IP, the BD7 owner in me likes the Hinckley.

The IP is the opposite of the Porsche. It's more like a Volvo. It's the easy solution for retired couples who are new to sailing, because they're new, expensive, and a little boring. They're perfectly fine boats and very livable, but they're not going to win any style awards, and not too many races. It's what you choose to convince your wife to go with you.

You get what I'm saying about the Porsche, then. Even though it cost considerably less, it will spank the Aston Martin in the curves. It doesn't have the curb appeal of a Ferrari, but it drives like a dream.

The Hinckley goes better with your collection. Performance and style. Just make sure it's in good shape.

Those two boats couldn't be any more different. You have to decide what your cruising motivations are. Either will get the basic job done. You might consider that there are lots of other options out there, too.
Old 31-12-2015, 09:12   #111

I think the real lesson here is that multiple boats are required. I've got 4 & I still can't stop looking. Here's the Hinckley I'd get just for day sails or just when I feeling smugly superior.

Hinckley Yachts - Luxury Sailboats - Daysailer - single-handed sailing yacht - DS42

Here's what I want for cruising around the world.

2009 Pilot Schooner Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 31-12-2015, 09:50   #112

Boat: Tartan 37

Love the IP to Volvo comparison, "They're boxy but safe" fits them prefect.
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 10:15   #113

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
The IP is the opposite of the Porsche. It's more like a Volvo. You might consider that there are lots of other options out there, too.
OUCH like my Volvo T5R ho hum

Volvo 850 T5/R - Classic Car Review | Honest John

Volvos do race in the touring car series , and I think the 850 estate/station wagon was binned years ago ONLY because the rear spoiler overhung the rear bumper and was thus illegal.

Volvo 850 BTCC

An IP it is more like a Cadillac a flash American boat that is well marketed to a specific client base. But look underneth the hood and it is just like any other car

BUT with significant issues.....just as well there is not a Boating Ralf Nader...

I see IP have 'finally admitted' that is is a problem with the chain plates, setting up a factory replacement operation at $15,000 a pop BUT using decent chain plates manufactured by Garhouer Marine. So that is progress I suppose.
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 10:50   #114

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37

A lot of good points. Here are some random thoughts:

My boat, a 1996 Pacific Seacraft 37, has much less brightwork (ie external teak trim) on it than the Hinkley and it is about a 1 to 1.5 month job to strip and refinish it.

Also, many comment here about the efficiency of buying an old versus new boat. In my case, I bought about a 16 yo boat that had never been sailed (200 verified original hours on the engine) and was in cherry condition. Equipping it to my standards (little expense spared, really) including new sails, re-rigging, new electronics, electrical and mechanical upgrades, autopilots and windvane steering, liferaft, solar etc. has nearly doubled my original cost and delayed my cruising by about a year.

Not sure what the tradeoff is between buying new and used. I just know that buying used isn't as cheap as it looks if you want to bring it up to current standards. Probably I have paid less total to fully equip a used PSC37 than a new one, but obviously its resale is also less so not sure where I am from an purely ROI point of view (which must be negative in any event). Possibly I am going to sea in a well founded boat for less that an equivalent new one. I hope.

Not sure I would do anything differently. I have no regrets, really like the boat and get lots of compliments. It is now (almost) exactly what I want in an offshore boat. But just be clear on what you are getting into if you want a dream boat.

Finally, between the IP and the Hinkley, I would be a sucker for the Hinkley. The only financial consideration in owning a boat is "can I afford to long throw $Xk's off a short dock (were Xk is twice the amount you think you will spend) or would just I rather have that boat".
The Smokester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 10:51   #115

Volvos are like boats in one respect. The best day of my life was when I sold my S70.
Old 31-12-2015, 11:10   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
Also, many comment here about the efficiency of buying an old versus new boat. In my case, I bought about a 16 yo boat that had never been sailed (200 verified original hours on the engine) and was in cherry condition. Equipping it to my standards (little expense spared, really) including new sails, re-rigging, new electronics, electrical and mechanical upgrades, autopilots and windvane steering, liferaft, solar etc. has nearly doubled my original cost and delayed my cruising by about a year.

That's interesting, and adds to the depreciation/upkeep part of the thread.
Old 31-12-2015, 12:11   #117

Boat: Oyster 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
This post makes it abundantly clear that you have never owned either a Hinckley or a Swan.
Cheap shot!
Dr. Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 12:19   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Smokester View Post
Finally, between the IP and the Hinkley, I would be a sucker for the Hinkley. The only financial consideration in owning a boat is "can I afford to long throw $Xk's off a short dock (were Xk is twice the amount you think you will spend) or would just I rather have that boat".
Probably the most critical piece of the analysis right there.

I think the entire post is worthy of some kind of honorable mention or sticky that everyone considering the purchase of a vessel should read.
Old 31-12-2015, 12:29   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Sea View Post
Cheap shot!

What would an expensive shot be?

A Perini Navi Like

The Maltese Falcon

https://www.symaltesefalcon.com/

OR a Baltic Yachts Hetairios?

Sailing Yacht - Hetairos - Baltic Yachts Ltd - Completed Superyachts on Superyacht Times .com

Sailing Yacht Hetairos - a Baltic Yachts Superyacht
Old 31-12-2015, 12:47   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
Probably the most critical piece of the analysis right there.

I think the entire post is worthy of some kind of honorable mention or sticky that everyone considering the purchase of a vessel should read.

That I don't get, the OP was buying a IP and or a Hinkley at around the same expenditure.

I don't see any real difference in the running costs of either.

In fact I suspect that the Hinkley might be cheaper to run apart from the bright-work maintenance, why because i suspect a Hinkley will have been better maintained with better more modern upgrades.

We buy our boats because we want to do that, NOT because we need to do that.....Life is full of choices and cross roads and we all make good and dumb decisions hindsight being no good on the day....."thats life"

ONLY the OP can make this call as to which boat.....OR even after reading some of what is posted here, should I widen my search to include other boats.

It is obviously good fun for us to sit here pontificating, however there are few right or wrong answers here, as this is not a mechanical problem with a logical answer and a fix.

Hopefully the OP will make a choice that he is happy with and enjoy his sailing on whatever boat he purchases now that would be wonderful.

Tags
price