Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2015, 05:31   #91

Boat: Able 50
Re: Newer boat vs older in same price range

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
When you say overpriced do you mean that the asking prices are unrealistic. If so you would need list price / sale price statistics to back that up. If you mean that their market value is too high that's a contradiction. The market dictates what something is worth. If you mean that they sell for more than you would be willing to pay for them that does not mean they are "overpriced".

I love Porsches but I drive a Miata. I paid 30k for my 2 seater convertible. A Porsche Boxter sells for $60,000. My car does everything that the Porsche does. The proof that I would not pay $60,000 for the Porsche is that I did not. Does that mean that the Porsche is overpriced?
This post makes it abundantly clear that you have never owned either a Hinckley or a Swan.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 05:47   #92

Quote:
When you say overpriced do you mean that the asking prices are unrealistic. … If you mean that their market value is too high that's a contradiction. The market dictates what something is worth.
This a tired pedanticism - it's clear that anyone saying "X is overpriced" is expressing their personal opinion that X isn't worth it.
Strolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 05:57   #93

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
This post makes it abundantly clear that you have never owned either a Hinckley or a Swan.
You missed my point. Hinckleys are not overpriced. The market dictates what they are worth. You're being subjective. I'm being objective.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 06:01   #94

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffcard View Post
It's a beaut, she's a Hinckley H-48. One in MD for sale. Wonder where they put the dinghy? Might be the smallest 48ft'er ever made, narrow, no cabin trunk and low freeboard. Check out the pics.

1972 Hinckley H-48 Yawl Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Thanks for that looks like she has had some recent upgrades...new main and mizen Fully Battened sails with the Tides Marine Tough Track (we have the TM TT too) on both masts assuming the Genoa is new too. No new winches though I would have thought a nice Andersen upgrade was something I would want to do.

AMAZINGLY she has two exhaust outlets for the engine, I watched them splooshing in sync......I don't know if this is a standard fitting OR maybe a engine upgrade to a 75/100HP Turbo Intercooled Yanmar that needed a bigger exhaust pipe room around the existing exhaust outlet being limited they put in an additional exit thru hull. OR maybe they 'Hinkley' just love symmetry

Lovely looking boat in many ways but a bit weird looking from some angles with the profile of the cabin trunk and the sweeping sheerline. Reminds me of a Rival in many ways.

NOW there is a nice go anywhere boat for the OP makes an IP look like an 'out and out pretender / poser'
Rival 34 for sale, 10.36m, 1972 | Boatshed Gibraltar
Rival 38 Cutter for sale, 11.40m, 1987 | Boatshed Gibraltar
Rival 41 Used Boat for Sale 1980 | TheYachtMarket

The Hinkley 48 would obviously be a great offshore (BLUE WATER {OUCH} boat) with the smallish cockpit high bridge deck and small hatch entrance and with the cockpit lockers being sealed waterproof entities too.

For sure a look back and BIG smile boat as you dinghy off ashore.

Thanks again for identifying her for me.
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 06:03   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strolls View Post
This a tired pedanticism - it's clear that anyone saying "X is overpriced" is expressing their personal opinion that X isn't worth it.
I'm simply making a point. The common complaint the Hinckleys are overpriced is a incorrect. If you want to say I would never pay that much for one just say it. I don't think personally insulting me furthers the conversation.
Old 31-12-2015, 06:14   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
I mentioned in another post that Hinckleys are overpriced and here is a good example. You can get a Swan 48 for less.
1972 Nautor Swan 48 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I'll take the Swan.
AND then spend a fortune replacing that teak deck upgrading the winches ditching that FP generator {an oxymoron if ever there was one}, and having the hull painted in a nice dark blue colour...and that is just a quick list of things needing done from glancing at a few pictures......somehow - and I love Swans I think NOT!!!!

BUT the big question is ARE YOU in a position to buy either of these boats? Financially I mean, IF NOT, then surely shirley
Old 31-12-2015, 06:17   #97

Quote:
I'm simply making a point. The common complaint the Hinckleys are overpriced is a incorrect. If you want to say I would never pay that much for one just say it. I don't think personally insulting me furthers the conversation.
Everyone else reading this thread understands that someone who writes "I think they're overpriced" is expressing his own personal opinion.

We don't need you to tell us that personal opinions are "subjective", nor that your words are wiser because they're "objective".

Arguing over the dictionary definition of "overpriced" doesn't make your point.

We all understand the most basic economic principles you laid out, but you did not challenge his essential assertion, which was about the relative quality, value and cost of the boat(s) in question.
Strolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 06:31   #98

Quote:
Sadly you pressed send before finishing with TO THEM or even rephrasing it to say I would not spend that sort of money on a ???? assuming of course they had it in the first place ....... pedantic it maybe but there are too many online fantasy merchants and dreamers with opinions that don't stand close examination.

Some of us buy 'cheaper' boats because we cant or wont buy a yacht built by the pedantic perfectionists Hinkley Swan ETC, and here we have some serious thread drift.......nothing new there. Where is the head teacher when you need them???
Old 31-12-2015, 06:41   #99

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
I've owned a 1960 Porsche but never an old Ferrari. However, I do love them & from what I know about them do not believe they are unreliable. In fact just the opposite. Regarding Hinckleys, I'm not sure why they would be any more expensive to maintain than any other similar size & age sailboat unless you're just talking about maintaining the teak. Hinckley & Ferrari both represent the best quality products of their type. In fact I can't think of a better built or higher quality production boat built anywhere. I'm not sure how that's a negative.
Porches have been stone dependable since their inception, they're German engineered, so of course they are. A little more conservative in styling than Ferrari, but solidly engineered. Older Ferraris were beautiful, fast, superb handling and of course sounded like they were from another planet, did I mention that exhaust note? Dependability was not exactly there strong point, kind of like that stunningly sexy girl I used to date who was batshit crazy, she was fun for awhile, but you wouldn't want to put up with her insanity long term. Come to think of it, she was Italian too.
The newer Ferraris are much better and more dependable, but even there they had a recent model that tended to catch fire if driven too hard. Hardly what I'd expect for that price.
Hinckleys are beautiful, well built boats, not exactly what I'd call a "production" boat. They don't start building one until you put a substantial down payment forward. They're in a completely different stratosphere when it comes to cost. Their older models were very conservative in design for these times, they had good sea handling traits but were relatively limited in interior space compared to most modern designs. Good for their original purpose when they were designed many years ago, but much has changed since those older models were built. This is reflected in the new 50 they're currently marketing, it's a huge break from their previous design direction, and a big risk for their company, it's not what people think of when they think Hinckley. Good for them, I hope the new model does well, it is a complete remake on the original concept.
No one ever said they weren't good boats, just that you could do better for the money if looking for a cruising boat, especially if your a person of average means, or even above average means. They may have good resale value but that doesn't mean much if you can't afford it in the first place. If your looking in that vein an older Swan would be a better bet from a price point perspective. They're well built and good performing too.
Of course it's all a moot point if your not sure what your cruising style is.
I was quite happy with my racer/cruiser for my needs, I'd take it anywhere, but it didn't exactly work for me in my current situation, now that I have a wife and kids to bring along. If the queen ain't happy, nobodies going to be happy, and that is a very important thing if you plan to cruise long term.
Did I mention that a happy wife makes for a happy crew?
I may not be the sharpest tool in the shed, but I'm not crazy.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 06:41   #100

Re: newer boat vs older in same price range

You're absolutely right! I also think that a heart beat is the most important thing - even if you will have to do some renovations.
EmilyClar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 06:54   #101

Quote:
Everyone else reading this thread understands that someone who writes "I think they're overpriced" is expressing his own personal opinion.

We don't need you to tell us that personal opinions are "subjective", nor that your words are wiser because they're "objective".

Arguing over the dictionary definition of "overpriced" doesn't make your point.

We all understand the most basic economic principles you laid out, but you did not challenge his essential assertion, which was about the relative quality, value and cost of the boat(s) in question.
You saying you speak for everyone is an opinion. Me saying you don't is a fact.
Old 31-12-2015, 07:00   #102

Quote:

I love Porsches but I drive a Miata. I paid 30k for my 2 seater convertible. A Porsche Boxter sells for $60,000. My car does everything that the Porsche does. The proof that I would not pay $60,000 for the Porsche is that I did not. Does that mean that the Porsche is overpriced?
The Miata doesn't do everything the Porsche does. It's a matter if you want to pay a premium for performance, most of which can't be used on the public roadways. A good number of people are willing to pay the premium for style and branding, though.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 07:10   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
The Miata doesn't do everything the Porsche does. It's a matter if you want to pay a premium for performance, most of which can't be used on the public roadways. A good number of people are willing to pay the premium for style and branding, though.
My Miata does everything a Porsche does, just slower.
Old 31-12-2015, 07:29   #104

Why do Hinckleys cost more than other boats? The next time you're at the yacht club drinking your hot toddy & Buffy comes up & asks you which boat is yours do you want to tell her the Island Packet or the Hinckley? Trust me, you want to tell her the Hinckley.
Old 31-12-2015, 07:39   #105

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Why do Hinckleys cost more than other boats? The next time you're at the yacht club drinking your hot toddy & Buffy comes up & asks you which boat is yours do you want to tell her the Island Packet or the Hinckley? Trust me, you want to tell her the Hinckley.
Too many Buffy's in my neck of the woods, they tend to be a little, uhm, cold, that is until they see your bank account, and then it's only until it becomes a joint account.
I opted for a real sailing girl, she checked out the trim of my boat before she gave me the once over. Wasn't just interested in the bank account, I definitely made the right choice.
Oh, and the boats great too.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
price