Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2012, 09:33   #1

Newbie intro

Just wanted to say 'hello' and introduce myself. Will be moving into a nicely equipped Bruce Roberts-design 44' ketch in Honolulu later this month, I've spent most of my adult life in Hawaii and am eager to get back after two years on the mainland. That said, I am not a veteran sailor -- actually grew up in the great maritime state of Kansas -- but have enjoyed crewing here and there on friends' boats over the years and plan to start learning the ropes once I've settled in.

Owning and sailing a solid bluewater cruiser has been a dream of mine since I was in my teens. Meanwhile, owning a liveaboard is about the cheapest was to live more or less on your own terms in Hawaii, and I see it as a springboard into an exciting new chapter in my life (and, yes, I'm familiar with the adage about a sailor's two best days ...)

I know I will have numerous questions in the weeks and months to come, and hope everyone will be patient with me. Thanks in advance ... I look forward to meeting you.

FYI: I am a semi-retired single male, straight, 52yo, former newspaper/magazine writer, reporter and editor. Did radio in my early media career.
ainadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 09:52   #2

Boat: Westsail 28
Re: Newbie intro

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you are really getting it together. As for the old adage, here is how it goes for me . It was the best day in my life, and it will be the worst day of my life ! Are you on the hook or a marina ?
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 10:17   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwesti View Post
Welcome aboard. Sounds like you are really getting it together. As for the old adage, here is how it goes for me . It was the best day in my life, and it will be the worst day of my life ! Are you on the hook or a marina ?
Not familiar with the term 'hook' with respect to docking but I'll assume it has something to do with tying off from a buoy. But I do have a slip at Keehi (KAY-hee) Small Boat Harbor (a state marina) nestled on the south shore between downtown the airport. Eventually want to berth her at another state facility -- the Ala Wai -- which is a stone's throw from Waikiki and is a better location. However, there's a long waiting list there. Both state marinas have hookups for water and electric but no cable or Internet and are very affordable by Hawaii standards. Guess I'm looking at $500-$550/mo for a liveaboard slip.
Old 13-10-2012, 11:46   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainadude View Post
Not familiar with the term 'hook'....................... Guess I'm looking at $500-$550/mo for a liveaboard slip.
Living "on the hook" is on your own anchor, but your opportunity sounds great! $500-$550/mo is a good rate most anywhere. I'm surprised to hear that that is available in Hawaii. Welcome to the community,- 'looking forward to hearing of your adventures.
Old 13-10-2012, 12:06   #5

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Hi,and welcome aboard.
Old 13-10-2012, 12:08   #6

Hello Aniadude. Did you just purchase the boat? Just wondering if I know it.
Smokingator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2012, 18:04   #7

Yeah, just closed last month. Her name is "Tacka Tacka Tacka" and she's a full-keel, center-cockpit model I'm assuming would be classified as medium displacement (18-20 tons, according to documentation). Previous owner says he took her out most weekends and frequently sailed to the neighbor islands, so you might recognize her if you saw her on the water. She sails nicely -- I wouldn't call her fast but she is very solid and stable (I spent several days on her in August before committing to the deal). Survey came up with very little mechanically and nothing remotely major although she does need some cosmetics. Biggest thing I don't like about her is she's got a lot of teak topside and much of it is gonna need work right away.
Old 13-10-2012, 19:58   #8

Yes! I know that girl. Beautiful. Lucky guy, happy sailing!
Smokingator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 09:33   #9

Boat: Swan 432

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Living "on the hook" is on your own anchor, but your opportunity sounds great! $500-$550/mo is a good rate most anywhere. I'm surprised to hear that that is available in Hawaii. Welcome to the community,- 'looking forward to hearing of your adventures.
That rate is high for the San Fran area, our 40' slip is $360 with taxes/fees. In San Diego you would be talking at least $700 for 40'. Getting more difficult to find live-aboards here as they are limited to 10% of the marina space. There is a very cheap marina in Hawaii for veterans, cannot remember the name.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2012, 13:14   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by deluxe68 View Post
That rate is high for the San Fran area, our 40' slip is $360 with taxes/fees...........
Would that still be true with a 40' boat in the 40' slip and living full time aboard with electricity, water & pump outs? Most of the slip costs on the US East Coast are determined by the boat length and not the slip length. The OP has been referring to a liveaboard slip. Yours are impressive rates for livingaboard a 40' boat. I've always thought the best rates were in the SE US.