Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2019, 10:38   #1

New Westerly Centaur Sails

Hi all

Recently purchased a 1976 Westerly Centaur and the newest sails were made in 1994 so are bagged out. I can't point well even in winds around 20 knots (no functional anemometer). Who did you go with for your new sails and what advice would you give? I'm in Southwest British Columbia in Canada for now but in spring of 2020 I hope to put in a new Betamarine 20 and sail to Alaska and then probably Mexico in September so a large variety of wind conditions will be encountered.

First on the list is a new mainsail. Thinking full battens and at least three reefs. Not sure the fabric though. Precision has that 500 series Dacron but I can't get any unpaid endorsements for any of their sails. Saw Evolution Sails has some pretty sexy looking tri-radial laminate cloth. What do you think?

Also, I want a really lightweight huge headsail for those really light wind days, what are those called? Drifter? Sure would be nice to leave the engine off

What do you think costs will be like?
SV_Crucible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 16:51   #2

Boat: Hylas 54 #42
Re: New Westerly Centaur Sails

I was able to get quick pricing estimates from Precision Sails when I wanted to determine the cost of new sails for a boat I was considering purchasing. You can get a quote from https://www.precisionsailloft.com/
jdtcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:45   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

In addition to Precision Sails, you might want to have a read of this which gives an idea of the different qualities for some of the better known Dacrons.

Since your sails are quite small you could go for a really high quality dacron which will make a huge difference and really resist stretching, particularly given your plans.

Sanders Sails: Materials | Sailmaking, Sailmakers, Yacht Marine Upholstery, Dinghies, Boat Design | Lymington, South Coast, Hampshire

Mack sails also used to have a similar page but it hadn't been updated for a while when I last looked.

You might search e bay and craigs list for a cruising chute for light wind conditions. Probably best to search for spinnaker even if its a cruising chute you are after. Have a read half way down this page.

Atlantic Sail Traders - Used sails, New sails, Sail Broker

Don't over look picking up a really nice sail previously used from the keel boat racing crowd who like to change frequently and sell off the lightly used ones.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:51   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

Looks like Bacon Sails has a new mainsail that will fit the Westerly Centaur 26 for $895. It's a 6 oz Dacron sail by Precision.

They also have 4 different Jib/genoas from $295- $450

Do your own search below at Bacon Sails

https://baconsails.com/bacon/select_sailboat_API.php

https://baconsails.com/
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 13:07   #5

We had Precision Sails make us a new sail for our dinghy. We got a discount since we ordering the sail during their slow season (over the winter), and we didn't need the sail in a rush.

We took lots of time to make all the measurements that they asked for carefully and accurately, and to fully describe what we wanted. For obvious reasons, that is critical.

They were great to work with and we are very pleased with the sail they sent us. Looks like great workmanship and materials to me - though I'm not a sail expert, we inspected it and found no flaws. The sail has held up well with the usual dinghy racing abuse.
bluuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 13:35   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New Westerly Centaur Sails

Go for an asymmetric spinnaker with single line furler.. quick and simple..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 13:45   #7

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

We recently purchased our new main and head sails from Mack sails, we have been quite happy with them. We will soon start year two with them as full time cruisers. Give them a call for a conversation and a quote.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 14:19   #8

Boat: Volkscruiser

Boatman61 is right, get the spinnaker on a furler or in a sock. My 12 year old can set our MPS in a sock himself its that easy.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 17:15   #9

What's the diff with an asymmetrical spinnaker vs a drifter really? If I'm not mistaken isn't a drifter more close winded? That's what matters most to me. Either way, thanks for all the replies. My engine is dead now so I'm off to work soon so I can get back on the water ��✌
Old 08-08-2019, 17:46   #10

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

I got quotes from precision sails, but I resented being continually reminded about how many other boats' sails I was paying for with my order. If you don't reply at all, the price comes down fairly heavily over time. I'm still getting "special offer" prices a year later...
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 21:41   #11

Yes, I didn't get a good impression from Precision. They didn't listen to me at all and kept asking for my credit card number even after I mentioned my engine just died and the boat will be on land for almost a year now. Seems a bad indicator of customer service. Found another place that has really nice looking laminate sails that does the measuring themselves. Probably will give them a try.
Old 08-08-2019, 22:26   #12
rbk

Boat: T37

Precision has a good rep as does your local loft (lots of benefits to having a local loft) Leitch & McBride, but at a cost (almost double but still less than most reputable lofts). No shipping cost for repairs, adjustments and warranty work.
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 22:29   #13
rbk

Boat: T37

P.S. what boat?
rbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 08:42   #14

Boat: CSY33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV_Crucible View Post
Hi all

Recently purchased a 1976 Westerly Centaur

Congratulations, great boat. I owned a ‘75 for over 25 years. What is your hull # ? What layout do you have?
Trekka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails