Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-02-2014, 16:02   #16
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44
Re: new to sailing

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugervoyager View Post
plan on getting it in the water by April and then doing as much day and weekend sailing as i can on the Chesapeake bay before venturing out and down the coast to Florida or up the coast.
If that is what you're doing then you don't need to spend a fortune on electronics. If you're going to go basic I would recommend having a back up along with the charts since you're new. Taking a coastal navigation course would not hurt either. Charts won't do you much good if you lose you gps in a fog especially since you won't yet be familiar with the waters you're in yet. You could probably get whatever you're going to mainly use and then find something 2nd hand for a back up if you're on a strict budget.

Old 12-02-2014, 16:29   #17

Boat: Luger Voyager 30ft

thanks satdiver for the info. i am on a budget, that's why i ask so many questions. i do however already have a android tablet, so that a somewhat expensive piece out of the way.

Old 12-02-2014, 20:13   #18
cruiser

Boat: Alden 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugervoyager View Post
thanks satdiver for the info. i am on a budget, that's why i ask so many questions. i do however already have a android tablet, so that a somewhat expensive piece out of the way.
Nothing wrong with that I still have plenty of questions and I've been doing this for decades. Not a day goes by where I don't have questions.

What program are you using on your tablet for navigation.?
Old 13-02-2014, 08:11   #19

Boat: Luger Voyager 30ft

i got navionics for free just to check it out since i'm new to them. looks like gps in a car but its for a boat.
Old 14-02-2014, 09:20   #20

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Safety gear, first and foremost, at least the gear required to pass the Coast Guard safety inspection.
Paper charts
Binoculars
A handheld GPS if you can afford it. As a backup.
A small medical kit for any possible injuries.
Radar is nice but not essential, I sailed for 25 years on the NE coast without it, but it sure is nice in the fog.
Beyond that it's getting into creature comforts.
I do agree with the earlier posts to take a safety course and a navigation course, I took one way back, then again 10 years ago to refresh my memory and purge bad habits, I would do it again but am looking to get my captains license and the courses required for it include navigation. The courses help put you in the right frame of mind, the information is invaluable.
Good Sailing!
Old 14-02-2014, 09:24   #21
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: new to sailing

Don't ask me.. I still use a Sun Stone..
Welcome to CF..

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2014, 09:40   #22

Boat: hunter 31

Welcome to the forum. As previously mentioned, I agree a handheld GPS is essential. For about $50, you can plot your exact position on a paper chart if everything else goes down. Subscribe to a towing plan. Not only can you get towed as needed, but they will normally come out for a dead battery, out of fuel, ect. Although others may disagree, I understand Lugers are rather lightly built kit boats that use a swing keel, and may not be the most suitable vessel for cruising in unprotected waters, particularly in the hands of a novice. Take your time, learn your boat, watch the weather. Good luck, and keep posting your progress.
Old 14-02-2014, 10:01   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: New to Sailing

Joe, welcome to the community!

I particularly like Satdiver's advice back in post #10. When you read that you'll notice that he advised "sand it down".... and continued with good bottom paint advise. I'd like to add to that "sand it down" phrase. Too often someone new to bottom work will take too much off the bottom when sanding and destroy the barrier coat and then be subject to expensive blistering and hydrolyis problems. If you do sand be careful just to remove the excess bottom paint and don't sand into the gel coat.

We use the Petit Trinidad 75 and find that with some light scrubbing with a 3M pad a couple times a year and more attention to cleaning the prop and rudder, we do well in the water for about three years. We are also constantly moving to different areas. Often, the predominant bottom growth will vary by salinity and other community organisms just within a few miles. If you plan to keep you boat in one location, it would be best to ask what your neighbors find successful.

Tags
sail, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: