Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2016, 23:37   #1

New to boating

Hi to every one hope all is ok with you. Right I am new to sailing and have just got a snapdragon 26 and plan to live a bord it but it needs work and I think it needs new running gear ie line's and that how do you work out how much to get ??
Bigwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 13:47   #2

Re: New to boating

Easy,

Measure everything.

Bill
madman960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 14:51   #3

If you currently have "running rigging" of the correct length, measure each line and duplicate it.

Otherwise, here's a guide:
Running Rigging - BoatTECH - BoatUS

Halyards and sheets are fairly simple to do, but as the guide points out, mainsheet systems vary, which will greatly effect the needed length. If you have an existing mainsheet, then you can duplicate it.

As soon as you know the needed lengths, you're going to need to get the appropriate diameters and you'll need to decide what kind of line to buy (brand, and how much stretch for each line).

Lucky me, my 1996 Catalina 28 has all the specifications in the manual.

You might also see if there is any sort of owner's forum or resource for your particular boat.

If there is a good rigger in you area, you might be able to save yourself a lot of trouble. If it costs a little more to have a professional evaluate your situation, consider how expensive it will be to get a sheet, halyard, or mainsheet that's too short. Line for running rigging is too expensive to make mistakes.

While you're updating your running rigging, you should also inspect the sheaves at the top of your mast. When I bought my 19 year old Catalina, I quickly discovered that the main halyard required too much effort to raise the sail. Inspections of the sheaves revealed that they were cracked, broken, and turning to dust. I replaced all four, and used a ball bearing sheave for the main halyard. Now, everything's as smooth as butter.

Running rigging may not be a major expense, but still, it's a considerable expense. On my boat, I have replaced the genoa sheets, the line for the traveler, and a new topping lift. I keep a maintenance log on the boat, and am tracking the dates that I replace each piece of running rigging. You may find that you might be able to replace your running rigging a little at a time, unless it's a total wreck. Sailboats produce a powerful sucking effect on your wallet, and I'm pretty sure you'll find additional places to spend money on your boat.
siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 14:57   #4

OK thanks for this I will be looking for a manual for my boat to see if it has all this in it which I hope it dose and do I need to take the mast down?? As I think as I'm not going to the top as it's to high for me lol
Old 07-03-2016, 15:12   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New to boating

Before you pull all that running rigging out.. get some strong line or twine to make up mouse's for the lines.. tie on the end of a line and then pull it through so when you got your new lines you just reverse the procedure.. makes life much simpler.. and you do not have to drop the mast.
Anything in mast or boom.. mouse is the way else you'll waste a lot of time pratting about trying to hook it near the base.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 15:21   #6

I was thinking of that but was going to tie a bit between new and old and pull though as and when I have new lines this would be more sipler than taken it all out thank you and I'm so glad I found this site as I have said I'm new to all this and when I say new I have never been on a sail boat before yes I have had a boat but just a tender

Tags
boating