Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 08:30   #1

Boat: custom teak ketch 48' Eastwind
NEW STICK FOR EASTWIND

Howdy sailors! Well, the old ''Eastwind '' has a new main mast & rigging. All bright & shiny, 2 coats 105/207, 4 coats varnish, new halyards, blocks, etc.
Now I'm trying to decide what color to paint the mizzen that looks like varnished fir so they will match!
ANY IDEAS?
Geoduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 08:50   #2

Re: NEW STICK FOR EASTWIND

Pink is the only correct color for a proper sailing yacht imho.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 09:23   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Pink is the only correct color for a proper sailing yacht imho.
If you are gay or lesbian - I am neither. Thanks for your hop.
Anybody else?
Old 05-07-2012, 10:45   #4

your homophobia aside, Pink is OBVIOUSLY the safest color. you could of course paint it fluorescent green, but that is a fair bit slower in a northerly wind.

Seriously, you're asking the Internet for color advice? good luck w/that.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:50   #5

If the mizzen is white aluminum, paint the mainmast white over all that varnish.... it will last a LOT longer! Probably not what you wanted to hear though! I dont know about that paint matching, I've wanted that effect in the past to match teak. (considered painting my bulwark cap to look like teak without the maintenance of varnish) Invent this paint scheme and you can make a lot of money!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:49   #6

A traditional tan to off white will match ok, look at a marshals cove or Kirby's color chart both have them and petit easypoxy has a close one as well. Plus one on painting both. We have a bright fore and painted main when the varnish goes on the fore it will get paint. The pnw may not have the varnish killing uv of points south but it does have a five day per year varnishing outside window. Pretty easy for a bright stick to go unless you are pulling it each year for the bright work inside.

Jake
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 19:03   #7

One of the companies sells a color reputed to be close, but when I used it it looked pink! many years ago though. On my first boat, I discovered that three thick coats of varnish on something like a toerail, will disappear in spots in one winter... probably due to the abrasive-ness of the rain! Vertical will survive better I suspect...

Old 05-07-2012, 19:26   #8

The trad tan does not match the color of varnish but looks good IMHO on a boat with wood sticks even if one is bright. The varnish definitely does last longer on the upright stuff.
Cruisingscotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 20:01   #9

PINK!!! GOOD GOD!! THATS WHAT THEY WERE PAINTED WHEN I BOUGHT THE BOAT!! (salmon pink!)
I would have thought by now some genius would have come up with a paint color that looks like varnished fir/spruce so that guys like me who have mahogany mizzens and fir mains could color match the spars! I;ve got a pink mizzen, varnished mahogany mizzen boom, varnished fir main & varnished spruce main boom and a pink club footed staysl!!!!!
Maybe I should barber pole it???
Old 06-07-2012, 09:12   #10

Come on kids - help me out here!! Someone must have a bright idea on a paint scheme??
Maybe I should paint everything gray to blend in with all the fog that's rolling in this morning!
I just hate the idea of covering up all that beautiful Old Growth VG fir with paint - for awhile at least.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:20   #11

Pink! Well the one I saw was pretty tan.. but had a pinkish hue to it for sure. Hey Mon, you'll fit right in down island!
The problem is, although it looks great now, you have put all that work in restoring it and unless you spend some time yearly up in the b osun chair, dripping varnish on deck and trying to add more coats... going all paint will be much better. Once the varnish breaks through to bare wood... you are in for the big job again... If you can keep up with the varnish... it will look great for sure. I dont imagine you have any other varnish to keep up with also...? "custom teak ketch 48'" :>)

Old 06-07-2012, 09:39   #12

Semi Transparent Stain — Wood Stain Colors & Finishes | Cabot
Noname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:04   #13

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Bluestocking (yawl rigged) has douglas fir main, mizzen and booms.
Wooded them, epoxy sealed, primed with WERDOL primer from my Epiphanes dealer, and 2 coats, Interlux Brightside Off white.
Deck stepped, pull them every 4 years, sand and paint in 2 days.
Important to not let the halyards slap the paint.
Old 06-07-2012, 16:16   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Pink! Well the one I saw was pretty tan.. but had a pinkish hue to it for sure. Hey Mon, you'll fit right in down island!
The problem is, although it looks great now, you have put all that work in restoring it and unless you spend some time yearly up in the b osun chair, dripping varnish on deck and trying to add more coats... going all paint will be much better. Once the varnish breaks through to bare wood... you are in for the big job again... If you can keep up with the varnish... it will look great for sure. I dont imagine you have any other varnish to keep up with also...? "custom teak ketch 48'" :>)
Cheech - I didnt just fall off the turnip truck! I hate varnish! All the teak on my boat(everywhere) is bare. I just wash it with sea water now & then.
I dont like painted spars because you can't tell what's going on under the paint so varnish is the name of the game for spars.
I go aloft, sand, wipe down and varnish all in the same process - sand my way up and varnish my way down - takes about 6hrs per 50' of mast.
Of course this was back in my prime - I expect you can double that now.
This new stick got the treatment - coated with ethylene glycol inside & out, 2 coats of West 105/207, 6 coats of good old Man o' War varnish.
I'm just trying to figure out a good color for the mizzen that is painted that old traditional salmon pink yuk color. I might build another mast next winter to replace the mizzen. There is nothing wrong with it except that it is 71yrs old and is made of mahogany (too heavy) After stepping the new main mast, I'm about an inch higher in the bow. I must have lost at least a 150-200lbs in the weight of the mast. Good!
In the tropics, a smart operator used to paint out all the varnish with flat white to keep it in good shape during the hot spells - you could knock most of it off with a pressure washer - some light sanding - one new coat of V and you're good to go.
Done right, a good varnish job should last 10 years if maintained. I never pull a stick to work on it if I dont have to. The secret is never let the wood get wet underneath it.