Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2014, 10:29   #121

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore
Re: New sailor, trying to narrow down what to get for my next boat.

Get a spare start/run key.

I wouldn't pay a 4 figure price for a used 9.9hp outboard.

When buying new, extended warranty is good idea if you will run the motor a lot. If it will be lightly used, it is not, IMHO.

Spare tank and hose assembly. Half the failure I have seen were simply probs with the hose or connectors.
Old 18-11-2014, 10:41   #122

Boat: Newport 28

Yeah plus it's a 20" shaft and not a 25" on top of being expensive for a used motor...even though it is the coveted yamaha...it has no warranty, so that kind of makes yamaha's reputation for reliability a mute point when comparing it with the new nissan.
The nissan's on cabela's come with a 5 year warranty. I think that will be good enough for me, I really don't like doing repairs or major maintenance on motors, so I doubt I will keep it much longer than 5 years anyways...at least not without getting a replacement or at least a smaller spare for back up. My work schedule is likely going to prevent me from using it heavily anyways.

Now all I need to do is just quit thinking about blowing another 2 grand, pull the trigger and click the "buy" button.
I'll thank myself later when I have a brand new motor I can depend on.
VinnyVincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 10:55   #123

Boat: csy 37

Get the 25" shaft. Written by a guy who had the 20" shaft.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 12:23   #124

Went to order from cabelas, but notice their shipping takes forever.

Online outboards will "beat any price" and they ship fed ex...so I emailed them. Should be interesting to see what they come up with.
Old 18-11-2014, 14:59   #125

Not sure I would buy the new one for a $2500 boat. There are usually some great used 6-10 hP outboards around for $450-600+

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 16:22   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Not sure I would buy the new one for a $2500 boat. There are usually some great used 6-10 hP outboards around for $450-600+
Gotta watch the craigslist like a hawk. Few years back when the diesel on my 27footer conked out I was looking for an outboard. Saw one on c-list for only $300, and the guy swore it was in good shape. His place was almost an hour away and by the time I got there there were 3 other guys trying to get it and bidding up. Apparently it was in as good of a shape as the ad said. As I only brought $300 with me and figured by the time I go to the ATM it'd be gone anyway, I just left mad as hell.
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 17:02   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Gotta watch the craigslist like a hawk. Few years back when the diesel on my 27footer conked out I was looking for an outboard. Saw one on c-list for only $300, and the guy swore it was in good shape. His place was almost an hour away and by the time I got there there were 3 other guys trying to get it and bidding up. Apparently it was in as good of a shape as the ad said. As I only brought $300 with me and figured by the time I go to the ATM it'd be gone anyway, I just left mad as hell.
Funny, I encountered the same situation when I bought the boat lol...luckily the sellet used a first come first serve policy and i made out like a bandit.

Really though I understand a new motor will cost almost the same as the boat, however there are a lot of things to worry about with an old boat like this, I don't want the motor to be one of those things.
As cheap as I tend to be, I am leaning towards a new one. I can always remove it from the boat when I go to sell it...I just sold my catamaran, so that isnt helping my tendancy to shell out all that cash ffor a brand new motor.
That plus I'm about fed up with dealing with people from craigslist after all these recent transactions lol
Old 18-11-2014, 17:18   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post
Funny, I encountered the same situation when I bought the boat lol...luckily the sellet used a first come first serve policy and i made out like a bandit.

Really though I understand a new motor will cost almost the same as the boat, however there are a lot of things to worry about with an old boat like this, I don't want the motor to be one of those things.
As cheap as I tend to be, I am leaning towards a new one. I can always remove it from the boat when I go to sell it...I just sold my catamaran, so that isnt helping my tendancy to shell out all that cash ffor a brand new motor.
That plus I'm about fed up with dealing with people from craigslist after all these recent transactions lol
The boat and outboard are 2 separate purchases. You can probably use the outboard on your NEXT boat, as well.
Old 18-11-2014, 17:28   #129

You don't want to be stressing about the condition of an old motor every time you want to go sailing.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 17:56   #130

"You don't want to be stressing about a new motor everytime you go sailing..."
Be careful! Better read some of the complaints on fairly new motors on this forum!
Like this one: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...07#post1679407

I'm really not saying don't buy a new motor... but... my mid 90's merc starts in 2 pulls, ... after the winter layup! Find a "garage queen" lake boat motor....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 18:07   #131

Cheech, I'm pretty sure that guy has an old engine. Why would he have put a new tiller arm on a brand new engine?
I dunno, I know I can probably save a lot of money if I'm careful, just don't want to end up with someone elses headache. I think getting a bad engine is probably less of a risk when buying new. Plus at least you have the warranty to fall back onif it does happen
Old 18-11-2014, 18:19   #132

Boat: csy 37

Cheechako, that's an old 2 stroke suzuki, probably from the 90's. Having said that, all three of my outboards are 2 strokes from the 90's so i tend to agree with you. But VinnyVincent may be a newbie in this arena and a new outboard would be one less thing he has to learn to fix right away.

VinnyVincent - Our sailing club bought a couple of Nissan's from Online Outboards. Got a very good price and had no problems getting them.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 19:16   #133

2 strokes require proper mixing of oil and gasoline for proper operation and long life. New 4 strokes run on straight gasoline. They potentially have a longer useful lifespan. They typically start easier, though there are exceptions. They are more environmentally friendly.

2 strokes are lighter weight for the same horsepower.

New motors have a warranty. They have zero hours and therefore no wear. Fresh from the factory, if there are no manufacturing defects, they are in tip top condition and will run as advertised until operator error happens. If a motor out lives the boat, it can be used on the next one, so buying a new motor for an old boat is not necessarily a waste of money.

Old motors can be very cheap, and if they have low hours, they could have years of service left in them. Old 2 stroke motors are simple to repair and have many interchangeable parts, especially the American Johnson and Evinrude motors from the 70s and older. I have literally mixed and matched junk heap parts from both brands to get a working motor.

There's the pluses and minuses. For a newbie I recommend a new 4 stroke. But an old 2 stroke at a good price COULD prove to be a lucky purchase.
Old 19-11-2014, 09:59   #134

Okay I placed the order. I went through onlineoutboards. Their response to the "low price guarantee" was that cabela's models were "discontinued"(1, possibly 2 years old)
and cabela's shipment takes 1-2 weeks, where theirs would likely be here by saturday since it's fedex and fully insured.
I went ahead and paid the extra hundred bucks to get the 2015 model and secure shipping.
Oh and I got a tohatsu instead of a nissan. I figured it would be less appealing to potential thieves.
Can't wait to get it mounted!...now that that's taken care of, time to worry about other issues...
Old 19-11-2014, 11:07   #135

So before I try this new motor out, there are a few things i need to address:

I will be building a wooden support for the outboard, but I am wondering about the exposed fiberglass. I know it generally isn't supposed to get wet...

Tags
sail