Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-11-2014, 11:34   #61

Boat: Newport 28
Re: New sailor, trying to narrow down what to get for my next boat.

LOL @ "dock walkers fatigue" I think you hit it right on the head with that one.

I'm going to pass on the C30 unless he calls back saying he accepts my 2500 offer.
Something doesn't seem right with this guy and he hasn't been exactly up front about everything. Makes me wonder what else he could be hiding.
I can't help but noticed that the last time it was registered was 2009, the last time it was out of the water was 7 years ago and it looks like it's been sitting for at least a few years...especially given he doesn't seem to know much about his own boat...
What else happened 6 years ago in this area? Hurricane Ike ring a bell?...something just seems fishy, can't put my finger on it, but I'm going with my gut on this one.

The catalina 25 seems like a real good deal, but you're right I'm going to wish I got a bigger boat later on instead of having to deal with selling that one off in a few years. It does seem like a smaller step up, but looking at the rigging, it seems like it wouldn't be a challenge at all to handle that boat, so I'm thinking I could easily skip that size and manage to handle a 30 footer without too many issues.

I guess all I can do is wait now. Those boats were about the only ones I saw worth looking at in my area/price range...not like I was going to be sailing much anyway. Winter/holidays are coming...

Old 10-11-2014, 12:34   #62

I've been trying to get ahold of this guy:

27' Sailboat for Sale - MUST GO

He has just lowered his price, but it would seem as if he has given a bad email on craigslist because I haven't been able to get a response.
If that is recent, it appears well maintained.

Anyone ever replace a drive shaft?...seems like it could be expensive.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:50   #63
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post
I've been trying to get ahold of this guy:

27' Sailboat for Sale - MUST GO

He has just lowered his price, but it would seem as if he has given a bad email on craigslist because I haven't been able to get a response.
If that is recent, it appears well maintained.

Anyone ever replace a drive shaft?...seems like it could be expensive.
Not too bad for the shaft. But you do need the boat out of the water. and the $ do add up. by the time you pay haul out, do the shaft, then decide to do bottom paint while you have it out....... you could end up with $1000....maybe less.. aint boats fun?
Often they get corroded inside the Rubber cutlass bearing due to lack of use. Just takes some grunt work getting down in there to get the engine coupling off. then pull the shaft and get a new one. put it back together and replace the packing (easy) . Wonder if it's a diesel or A4 gas?
Did you try copy and pasting the email info? Sometimes that only seems to work on CL.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 13:28   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Did you try copy and pasting the email info? Sometimes that only seems to work on CL.
Good tip, that worked! I wonder if he lowered the price thinking no one was interested, when in reality they couldn't get a hold of him LOL.

He has a deal pending, but he said the guy who gave a down payment is taking too long to get the rest of the cash, so he will let me know soon if it falls through.

There's a couple others I had gotten no response to and I will try that trick.
Old 10-11-2014, 14:59   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's an S2 7.3 with gear.. right now at $10: 1978 S2 7 3 24' Sailboat Washington | eBay=

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 15:37   #66

Boat: csy 37

Forget the catalina 30. Too many negatives, and those are just the ones you know about.

Our club owns three catalina 25's, all centerboard boats, all were donated to us by different owners. They are not great sailing boats, but they are roomy enough for weekending or maybe more. None have given us any serious problems, although all of them have had their centerboard cables replaced, some more than once. All are in VG condition. We value them at about $3000 to $4000 each.

The cal 27 looks like a good buy if its in reasonably good condition. Being a 1984 it likely has a diesel inboard. I replaced the shaft and engine adapter on my 37' cutter last year. It's a 5ft long 1 1/4" shaft. Total cost, with yard labor, was $700. The boat was already on the hard so no extra cost there. You would probably want to haul anyway to do other work and just to check out all the bottom stuff.

Good luck.
Old 10-11-2014, 16:17   #67

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Wow! Quite a leap from fast agile multihulls to slower more seaworthy mono's. If your truly interested in a stable, extremely well built mono. I would recommend a Pearson 30 or so. Very strong hull and are for their class, fairly fast and agile. The Pearson line went out of business in the 80s so you can get one within your budget fairly easily. I think their good sailors and built like little bomb shelters.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 10-11-2014, 18:30   #68

Pearson 30. Nice boat. Strong, fast, manuverable, easy sailer. Our club owns one and we still race it offshore. Only weak/expensive part is the rudder. We've bent it twice so far to the tune of a couple thousand dollars. Theres one for sale here in daytona beach, very good condition but with an atomic 4. Probably $5K or so.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:09   #69

Okay C30 is out, too much headache.

C25 is too small although it was tempting with the new engine and bottom

Here is my new prospect:

28' Newport Sailboat

It's a newport 28, I am trying to look at it this afternoon. Looks pretty nice, only downside is no motor. However, after smelling diesel in that other cabin and jacking with the 40 year old motor, I kind of prefer getting one at a low price and just adding an outboard.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:26   #70

Well, the price is okay, good size. I see by the exhaust port that she had an inboard, I'm guessing an atomic 4. Looks like it might possibly have been removed (seems to be up a bit by the stern.). No outboard bracket. She's clearly set up for dock side use. It would be hard to get a 28 ft boat for much less than that, I don't think you'd be taking a big risk with this boat. I don't no the Txas market , but I know around here, you could get something like a Grampian 26 or a northern 25 with a running engine for that price. On the other hand, you can pick up a used out board for $1500 or so, so you should be able to get that boat moving for around $5000.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:08   #71

That's what I'm thinking. My thoughts are that if they have been living in it, at least I know there's a decent chance it doesn't leak and the wiring is good. Adding an outboard seems simple, although a little expensive...at least I'll be on the water quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Is it between two finger piers? You can try to crank the boat over on a heel using halyards, all around dock lines etc at least far enough to scrub it off and see if there are any obvious issues. I did this once on a Mega 30 that looked great above the water but was loaded with quarter size blisters below the waterline.
I might try this to check out the bottom on the Newport, if they agree to it. How much pressure did you need to put onto the halyard to get it to heel over enough?
Ad says they are moving and trying to liquidate, so I could probably offer 2000-2500 no problem, with the excuse I'll have to spend over a thousand on the engine.
What's you guy's take on engine size? Would a 9.9hp be enough?
Old 11-11-2014, 09:34   #72

I like this one (newport). If you take out the inboard and clean the engine space you will have lots of storage space for your junk - I did that on my old albin vega 27. A 9.9 is more than enough. I personally would get something smaller and lighter like an 8 with the extra long shaft.
Old 11-11-2014, 13:11   #73

Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27

The Newport would convert nicely to electric drive, too.
GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 13:56   #74

That actually seems like a decent idea growley, the price is comparable to an outboard. How hard was the conversion?
Old 11-11-2014, 15:12   #75

Boat: 1976 Cal 2-27

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyVincent View Post
That actually seems like a decminimum idle udea growley, the price is comparable to an outboard. How hard was the conversion?
Kinda hard, cause i mostly went as cheap as possible, mix n match components. Cost me about $2500 but a typical install will cost nearly twice that. I built the motor mount and control box myself so saved some money there. Pulling the old engine by myself wasn't easy. Had some help getting it up the stairs from the finger pier to the main pier but that was it. Shaft alignment was surprisingly difficult. Still have some tweaking and refinement to do but it runs great. No more fuel mess or smell or purchase. I don't have to worry if my engine will start or not. No minimum idle speed. Lots of, advantages. Range is limited by the size of the battery bank, thoujgh.

GrowleyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: