Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2013, 18:16   #1

New Sailor to Buzzards Bay, MA.

I have been a powerboat guy for much of my 56 years living here on the Southcoast of MA. I now have the time to try a new experience in sailing. I would appreciate any input from any sailors familiar with this area and sea conditions. I am looking to purchase a sloop comfortable to sleep 4-6 adults. 30'-34' for apprx. $25k. A cruising vessel that will be forgiving but still require some skills. Racing is not a consideration. I have been in the mrkt for 6 months and have found an 1987 Oday 322, that has peaked my interest. I have also been looking online at Pearson, S-2, Catalina, Freedom. My harbormaster will require me to have a vessel on my mooring by 9/1/13. Thanks in advance for any help.
csharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 10:18   #2

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Re: New Sailor to Buzzards Bay, MA.

As you know, Buzzard's Bay can get very choppy with a SW wind and an outgoing tide. So if racing is not a consideration, I'd recommend a heavier boat with a more seakindly motion than any of the ones you listed.

Bristol 32, Sea Sprite 30, Sea Sprite 34, Tartan 34, Pearson Arlberg, Cape Dory 30, Allied Seawind II, Nonsuch 30
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:16   #3

Boat: Catalina 42 Mk II
Another Great option is an islander 32 mk ii. Nice cruising boat with plenty of room but very sea kindly and solid.

Just so happens I have one for sail! yes this is a shameless plug but it really is a great boat for what you want to do and has a very forgiving sail plan for a beginner. Only selling it because I've bought a bigger boat.

You can find it on yacht world or pm me ifinterested. It's the one in east providence... not that many for sale so should be easy to find.
Davelrb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:30   #4

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

I agree, the bay can get a bit choppy with steeper edged waves when the wind and tide conspire to turn it into a washing machine but the island and cruising options are great.
Go for a heavier cruising style boat if you want a more comfortable ride, you don't have to get a lead sled, you still want something that points well so you can sail upwind, which is most of the time in the summer.
Some of the other models mentioned previously fit the bill, especially the Tartan 34 if you're looking to haul a few family members.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:39   #5

Boat: Bristol 38.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelrb75 View Post
Another Great option is an islander 32 mk ii. Nice cruising boat with plenty of room but very sea kindly and solid.
Very good choice. Perry design. Some Islanders have had blister problems. Does yours?
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 11:42   #6

Boat: Catalina 42 Mk II
No blister problems at all. Spent most of its life in Maine so short season and cold water. Has been repowered with a westerbeke 30b. Has been a bulletproof boat for me and worthy of a good home. I'll be sad to see it go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-589792154.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	52656  
Davelrb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 15:25   #7

Boat: Tartan 34C

Quote:
Originally Posted by csharp View Post
I have been a powerboat guy for much of my 56 years living here on the Southcoast of MA. I now have the time to try a new experience in sailing. I would appreciate any input from any sailors familiar with this area and sea conditions. I am looking to purchase a sloop comfortable to sleep 4-6 adults. 30'-34' for apprx. $25k. A cruising vessel that will be forgiving but still require some skills. Racing is not a consideration. I have been in the mrkt for 6 months and have found an 1987 Oday 322, that has peaked my interest. I have also been looking online at Pearson, S-2, Catalina, Freedom. My harbormaster will require me to have a vessel on my mooring by 9/1/13. Thanks in advance for any help.
Any good old boat will be fine in the size you're looking for here in Buzzards Bay...Obviously, you're not looking for a racer so no need to look at the lighter fin keelers...Keep your mind open when looking as you can get great deals right now...I see in our local Craigslist many great deals and for $25,000 you can get a mint old cruiser in that size range...

I kept my mind open until a 1968 Tartan 27 found me...For me and the wife, it's the perfect boat for Buzzards Bay cruising...

That O'Day you're looking is a beautiful boat...Very roomy for a 32...Also pretty light...The lines will provide a much different handling boat than traditional heavier full keel plastic classics...Just make sure you get to sail different boat types so that you how each type sail...Either that or just research different hull types so that you know what kind of performance/characteristics to expect...

Of course, with the kind of money you're looking to spend you have to get a survey...
Tartan 34C #177 "Nova Luna"
Tartan 27 Yawl "Destinada" (SOLD)
Southcoasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 15:40   #8

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Buzzards Bay does get rough, particularly when the wind is against the current, but all types of boats can and do sail those waters. I've sailed them in everything from a British twin keeler, to a Cal 20, to my current heavy motorsailor, and a bunch of others. You'll see everything at Cuttyhunk on a summer weekend, so I wouldn't sweat a particular weight, keel, or style too much as being "necessary." Conditions are highly variable. It is more a matter of what suits you and your tastes.