Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2016, 04:42   #31
GBB

Re: new sailor

[QUOTE=Paul J. Nolan;2016344]Welcome aboard!

I agree with Paul A that the first thing is to get some experience while you are thinking about a boat. Learn to sail.. One member suggested a Laser or Lido 14, a suggestion I strongly endorse. You can learn to sail in a wide variety of boats, but, in my opinion, the smaller the boat, the faster you will learn.

Some other thoughts:

1) While $150 large seems like a lot, it may not be. Do you have a source of income such as a. pension, 401k, etc.? If so, this frees you up considerably. If your budget of $150k is intended to cover the boat and perhaps three or four years of cruising the situation is completely different.

2). A Westsail 32 is a very large boat. Boats are sized by weight (called displacement), not length. A Westsail 32 displaces 19,500 lbs. By comparison, a Cal 40's displacement is 15,000 lbs.

3) Will you be cruising single-handed or with a crew? If alone, boats from 5,000 lbs. to 12,000 lbs. are about right and I believe a 28' Bristol Channel Cutter was built and she was around 12,000 lbs. displacement. If with a crew (of one) perhaps 9,000 lbs. to 12,000 lbs, would be about right. In addition to the BCC, the Alberg 30 and, in particular, the Contessa 32 are good choices. You may wish to read Trekka Around the World by John Guzzwell and also visit the Atomsailing website.

4). I insist that my boat is always in Bristol condition with the absolute best sails and equipment. This level of equipment was always affordable in the small boats I sailed and raced. On your budget you can comfortably keep small boats to this standard. If you have an income or other capital, you could even bring a Cal 40 to this standard. But consider just your sails. Most of the junk floating around in harbors today have only a roller furling job and a mainsail aboard. And old and crappy ones at that. You will need a minimum of six sails and probably several more. Call your local North or Quantum loft and get a price for a full blue-water suit of sails for a Westsail 32. Then a price for the same for a Vega 27. Everything aboard the boat from ground tackle to bottom paint will have a similar differential. Think small.

There is much more to say, but that's enough for now.

Paul[/QU
Lets see if i can clear things up a bit. The 150000 was saved and set aside for a boat and any upgrades or repairs needed to get it where i want it to be.
there is a pension and other sources of income that will keep me going. I spoke of the BCC in my first post because after researching and reading a few books and articles on good, safe, Water boats">blue water boats it always seemed to make everyone's list. I am attracted to that style and look of boat. However, i dont have my heart set on anything. I am married so there will be two of us on the boat most of the time, but i want one that i can handle alone. I have been looking around my area at smaller boats for sale for me to learn on. At first my experiences will be on a few lakes nearby, then ill get to the bay and go from there. Im in no hurry in this process. Ill take as long as i need to get up to speed. I am the type person, like you seem to be, that wants things to be right and top notch. thanks to you and everyone else on here with all the suggestions and advice. Everyone has been a huge help so far and i am sure as i get further in this process i will have plenty of questions, dumb or not, that i need help with, thanks again
GBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 10:01   #32

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
Yes, when I said six sails I was thinking of a chute and a trysail. A person who is unable to set and carry a spinnaker probably should postpone offshore sailing until his skill level increases.
I was a little surprised by that. I can't say I agree that a person must be able to fly a chute before going offshore. How many cruisers find a chute to be required equipment?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 10:29   #33

Kite flying skill is not a prerequisite to sail offshore... good seamanship is, a well found vessel and reasonably good health, stamina and strength.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 10:50   #34

I buddy boated with a couple on a BC22 for about a year.. Their boat was as fast as my 30 footer. Great little boat.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 10:51   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I was a little surprised by that. I can't say I agree that a person must be able to fly a chute before going offshore. How many cruisers find a chute to be required equipment?
Yes, a chute is very important to take up space in the 1/4 berth. That's it's best use. Most my boats had one and that was it's purpose.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 14:04   #36

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
Yes, when I said six sails I was thinking of a chute and a trysail. A person who is unable to set and carry a spinnaker probably should postpone offshore sailing until his skill level increases.

With just shy of 30yr sailing experience I can set, use and douse a spinnaker short-handed or even single-handed with an autopilot or vane gear steering.

Funny thing is I would generally consider doing so offshore to be unseaman-like.

In very light wind during the day no problem.

At night no way, too big a chance of getting caught unawares by such things as squalls . Even without squalls the wind comes up enough to want to douse and you need to get the off watch to help which leaves them even more fatigued when they come up for their own watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2016, 22:36   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yes, a chute is very important to take up space in the 1/4 berth. That's it's best use. Most my boats had one and that was it's purpose.
I had one on my old boat. I flew it now and then. I could do it singlehanded. It was fun. It made a really nice pillow down below. My current boat didn't have one when I bought her and I am in no rush to get one. I have some pillows already.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 17-01-2016, 12:11   #38
GBB

what about the Dana 24? has anyone sailed on or know someone who has one?
Old 17-01-2016, 21:26   #39

A really wonderful little pocket cruiser, that often, like the Nor'Seas, comes with a big pocket price. I had a friend with a Flicka with every gizmo, bell and whistle. I confess I could not see putting that much stuff and money into such a short waterline. But he really loved that boat, and I can understand that. When the Dana came along I thought it made a lot more sense. I understand it sails well and is built very well too like the Flicka. Bluewaterboats.org has a lot of good info on it and links to more.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 17-01-2016, 21:45   #40

Boat: Corbin 39

I wouldn't get stuck on any one type boat. When you look at one on line or in an ad its an emotional appeal based on looks and though that's important to ones happiness in their choice , it's not until you actually go sit on one , sail one , that you really know what you want. Even then you can change you re mind. Sometimes you can't even find at type of boat you dream of , available and in you're price range or close to where you are to be to make it practical . I say go look , see , touch and sail then you might know . Don't rule out anything that can do the job and is attractive to you.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
cortezsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 05:48   #41
GBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
A really wonderful little pocket cruiser, that often, like the Nor'Seas, comes with a big pocket price. I had a friend with a Flicka with every gizmo, bell and whistle. I confess I could not see putting that much stuff and money into such a short waterline. But he really loved that boat, and I can understand that. When the Dana came along I thought it made a lot more sense. I understand it sails well and is built very well too like the Flicka. Bluewaterboats.org has a lot of good info on it and links to more.
It seems the boats i am attracted to are on the upper end of the budget. BCC, Nor'Sea 27, Dana 24. I dont have my heart set on any one particular boat, just the style. Its a long journey and I'm taking my time.
Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. keep them coming
Old 18-01-2016, 13:01   #42

It just shows you have a talent for spotting the finer things in life.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 18-01-2016, 13:51   #43

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

GBB, I like your taste in boats. Bristol Channel Cutter, Dana 24, Norsea27 are all beautiful heavily built boats. When I was looking for my live aboard dream I tended toward traditional looking boats, too. The more I looked and "tried them on" the more I realized that the look (longer and lower sided and narrower) also meant less volume, less interior space and less tankage.

You may find what you want in the size you are exploring or you may need to go up a size. Take a look at Baba and Tayana too.

Most importantly, as has been said, keep your dreaming open ended for now. Don't be too quick to choose one design or brand over another. Try to determine how you will actually use your boat and make decisions from there. There are lots of boats that will let you accomplish your dreams. You will find one that also warms your heart.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 16:42   #44
GBB

thanks Tayana42
I am researching everything that is suggested to me and i know right now at this stage of my search i have stars in my eyes and dream of sailing around the world. i also know enough to know that dream may down size and i only go up and down the ICW and maybe to a few islands. who knows right now. I do know that the boat i eventually settle on needs to be a boat that will take me anywhere in the world i want to go. Someone earlier mentioned the book "Twenty small sailboats to take you anywhere". I ordered a copy off of amazon and am going through it. Earlier someone advised me with my budget to not use more than half of it on any particular boat and save the rest for outfitting and upgrades. that seems to be sound advice to me. Keep in mind i want a boat i can handle on my own. I will take a look at the boats you suggested. my search is wide open right now and nothing is being ruled out. thanks to everyone for all the help. its great to see a community that takes an interest in someone starting out.
Old 18-01-2016, 18:11   #45

Boat: Bavaria Vision 46

GBB,
I started out last year witha Jeanneau SO 33i. Great boat. Next year will be on a new Bav Vision 46. Big upgrade after one year.

My point is you will have no idea what you want until you have it. Or, you spend thousands chartering different boats until you find one. But, those will be newer boats. So, how?

I suggest test sailing a few you like then pull the trigger. Otherwise you will be old and wonder why you waited so long.
StuartBaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail