Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2016, 04:49   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 50DS - 50ft
New Jeanneau 50DS issues and resolutions

Recently purchased a 2015 Jeanneau 50DS. I've spent a few weeks on it sailing from Philadelphia to Elizabeth City and back to to my home port in Huntington Bay, NY. Overall, I'm pleased with it but there a few issues that I'd like to get community experience and input on.
-The chart plotter is mounted on the aft base of the cockpit table between the two helms. It's impossible to see from the helm, especially if the sun is behind you. I've added a grip mount for my iPad to resolve the problem temporarily but want to move the plotter to the helm. Has anyone done this?
-The fresh water pump has a small holding chamber that is meant to reduce the pump from cycling on and off so much. Occasionally, the pump won't cycle at all and I have to temporarily jump the wires to get it work. I'm assuming when I jump the wire, it fills the holding chamber back up which allows the auto-cycle switch to start working again. I assume this is the problem as the first time it happened was when I emptied the tanks to flush the tanks after winter storage. Thoughts?
-Ceiling liner comes unattached. This was a problem from the first launch and continues to happen. I'm told by a dealer that the only way to fix it is to use screws and plastic button caps. They look terrible and interrupts the clean line design of the interior. Anyone have a better solution?
DeaconBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:15   #2

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46
Re: New Jeanneau 50DS issues and resolutions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconBlues View Post
I assume this is the problem as the first time it happened was when I emptied the tanks to flush the tanks after winter storage. Thoughts?
Most pressure pumps are not rated for continuous duty.
If you drained the tanks by running the pressure water for 10Min. or more the pump probably overheated.

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:28   #3

Thanks for the quick reply. I"m sure that's probably what caused the problem the first time but it's happened twice since then. Yesterday, when I tried to use the fresh water the pump it would not come on. I jumped the wires again to fix it. When I do that, I let the pump run for a few seconds, stop, again for a few seconds, stop and again. Then, I use the faucet and the pump begins to cycle as normal and continues to work today. So it should not be caused by overheating now. Thoughts?
Old 10-05-2016, 05:38   #4

A new pressure pump won't set you back too much, but you might need to check the accumulator too. It should hold enough for about 10 seconds fully open use and then the pressure should drop enough to trigger the pump switch.

Try using another glue on your headlining. Contact cement will fall off in the heat. Try superglue if it's not important to get it off sometime.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:49   #5

Boat: Catalina 34MKII

You stated that this is a 2015. Why is the dealer not dealing with your issues? The headliner should work as designed and I cannot imagine that Jeanneau thinks that it should not. The pump, unless damaged when putting the boat away last year, should be the same. I believe that is the designed position for the chartplotter. Had the same problem you do when sailing a Jeanneau 37. I would hate to think that the only answer is one at each helm.
Old 10-05-2016, 05:55   #6

Boat: Looking for a 40-45 foot monohull.

I've just looked around a new 44DS at my local boat show, nice boat, and been told it sails really well, but a bit disappointed in the squeaks & creaks whilst walking below.
CyprusNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:01   #7

Thanks again for your insights. The liner is a solid panel covered in vinyl. It's held in place now by hidden plastic snaps that aren't holding firm enough. If I glue the panels in place I won't be able to remove the panels to access wire runs. This must be happening a lot with other owners as well as the Jeanneau dealer service guy was familiar with the problem. I'm looking for no visible fastener solution that still gives me the ability to remove the panels.
-The pump is working well when it cycles, it's the sensor that tells the switch to cycle that could be causing the intermittent problem. Could it be some sort of air lock/bubble in the accumulator that spoofs the switch into thinking the tank is empty and prevents the pump from running dry? I know some pumps are protected that way.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdidit View Post
You stated that this is a 2015. Why is the dealer not dealing with your issues? The headliner should work as designed and I cannot imagine that Jeanneau thinks that it should not. The pump, unless damaged when putting the boat away last year, should be the same. I believe that is the designed position for the chartplotter. Had the same problem you do when sailing a Jeanneau 37. I would hate to think that the only answer is one at each helm.
You would think that Jeanneau would have a solution but apparently they don't or the dealer service wouldn't suggest the screw and cap fix. I'm sure he did that because it's a practical and permanent solution. This is one of those irritating points that isn't worth the stress of fighting with them on. There might be a better hidden fastener or, just a few strips of Velcro might work.
The chart plotter positioning is a ridiculous design flaw in my opinion. They would have done better by putting the plotter on the power side helm station and given us the option to put a relay or iPad on the other one. Where it is now, you literally have to get on your knees to read or manipulate it.
The designers must be from the school of "it's better to look good than feel good".
Otherwise, I love the boat.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:21   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyprusNeil View Post
I've just looked around a new 44DS at my local boat show, nice boat, and been told it sails really well, but a bit disappointed in the squeaks & creaks whilst walking below.
I looked at the 44DS originally in a show room but when I saw one on the water, I didn't care for it. I much prefer the 45 DS design over the 44.
Old 10-05-2016, 07:56   #10

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

Deacon mentioned it, but there are very different levels of velcro out there. I suggest looking for some that is of the heavier duty variety.

http://www.amazon.com/VELCRO-Industr.../dp/B00006RSP1

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:00   #11

Boat: Jeanneau 45DS

Had the same problem with the ceiling panels on my Jeanneau 45DS. I got new plastic buttons from the dealer and that solved the problem. I have a few extra in case.

I have no problems with my cockpit mounted MFD but I think it might be lower. I also use an iPad mounted above on the cockpit table. I have sailed a Jeanneau 57 across the pacific and found no issues reading it's MFD in the center. I do have a friend with a Beneteau 473 and he mounted small Raymarine MFDs at the helms, but it took a bit of a redesign and $$.
bcsete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:01   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconBlues View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. I"m sure that's probably what caused the problem the first time but it's happened twice since then. Yesterday, when I tried to use the fresh water the pump it would not come on. I jumped the wires again to fix it. When I do that, I let the pump run for a few seconds, stop, again for a few seconds, stop and again. Then, I use the faucet and the pump begins to cycle as normal and continues to work today. So it should not be caused by overheating now. Thoughts?
Get a West Marine pump-Ive found them best
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:02   #13

Boat: Liberty 458

Why is the dealer not dealing with the headliner issue?

The chartplotter issue is typical of the horrible ergonomics on most vessels. We're currently building a custom helm for our Liberty 458 for our full instrumentation upgrade. Our only off the shelf option was to mount numerous pods or mount items around the cockpit.

You might like to conduct a full flow water pump test. Your freshbwater pressure system should have an accumulator to maintain pump off pressure and to provide a more consistent water flow.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 08:10   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcsete View Post
Had the same problem with the ceiling panels on my Jeanneau 45DS. I got new plastic buttons from the dealer and that solved the problem. I have a few extra in case.

I have no problems with my cockpit mounted MFD but I think it might be lower. I also use an iPad mounted above on the cockpit table. I have sailed a Jeanneau 57 across the pacific and found no issues reading it's MFD in the center. I do have a friend with a Beneteau 473 and he mounted small Raymarine MFDs at the helms, but it took a bit of a redesign and $$.
I have the plastic buttons too but I don't want to use them as don't want to see them. I'm of the 'no visible fasteners' school. I think the industrial strength Velcro will solve the problem.
My plotter is almost on the deck, below the table and faces directly toward the stern. With any glare, it's impossible to see it and to change anything you have to squat or lay on the deck. The iPad is easy to mount but it's read only. I really don't need a bunch of screens, just one that I can easily use. I will most likely move it.
Old 10-05-2016, 08:15   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Why is the dealer not dealing with the headliner issue?

The chart plotter issue is typical of the horrible ergonomics on most vessels. We're currently building a custom helm for our Liberty 458 for our full instrumentation upgrade. Our only off the shelf option was to mount numerous pods or mount items around the cockpit.

You might like to conduct a full flow water pump test. Your freshbwater pressure system should have an accumulator to maintain pump off pressure and to provide a more consistent water flow.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
It has an accumulator but the flow isn't constant. It goes from 100% to 60% and the pump cycles about every 5-10 seconds. Also, when I shower, the hot and cold mix isn't constant, it pulses similarly to the pressure.

Tags
jeanneau